Regarding upcoming update and closure of competitive features

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/bugs
wontaketoomuchtime

Re: Regarding upcoming update and closure of competitive features

Post by wontaketoomuchtime »

ufm wrote: 27 September 2021, 16:29
wontaketoomuchtime wrote: 27 September 2021, 16:25 Most players are casual players, they don't care about cheating. the 6x7 connect4 has low tactical depth and it is a solved game, I agree the arena for it is meaningless. But it is also the original connect4, it is what casual players want to play, they just want to have fun, they don't go to forum, they just want to play. If you force 6x7 connect4 into training mode, or switching it away from the default mode, I think it is not good, because it is what most people want to play, not other version or other size. Most players don't care about the competitive feature that you mention or propose to make it a more actually competitive game. If you make these changes, number of games played drop drastically mean less people can have fun of what they are currently having. So your dedication on making this game competitive, is against to the main will of the majority of players who just want to play the game.
False dichotomy this time.
I didn't ban or remove 6x7, but changed it as a training mode only option to exclude it from competitive formats.
ELO is a competitive feature per se. If you want to play casual games just go ahead and play 6x7 on training mode.
Playing 6x7 competitively? BGA is not your ideal place for that. Try somewhere else.
Also, the default is still 6x7. Problem solved.
default is still 6x7 - good
so all games default in training mode? if players want to play new settings they need to change it manually, and perhaps to normal mode? I think it is still worse than now (all elo ignored for connect4), because players tend less to play training mode, they feel they get nothing, system didn't trace their level (they want to know how good they are in 6x7), or their opponent can quit anytime without losing anything)
ufm

Post by ufm »

wontaketoomuchtime wrote: 27 September 2021, 16:49 default is still 6x7 - good
so all games default in training mode? if players want to play new settings they need to change it manually, and perhaps to normal mode? I think it is still worse than now (all elo ignored for connect4), because players tend less to play training mode, they feel they get nothing, system didn't trace their level (they want to know how good they are in 6x7), or their opponent can quit anytime without losing anything)
BGA framework remembers table options when you choose them, so no problem again.
Casual players who simply want to stick to 6x7 won't bother changing modes and options over and over.
In contrast, competitive players who want to prove themselves won't bother playing 6x7. It separates the pool naturally.

And again, BGA is not an ideal place for competitive 6x7 Connect Four. The current situation has shown it already.
System won't trace the level on 6x7. For that, try somewhere else.

Quits? There goes the red thumb. Besides, most of training mode games are actually completed without quitting.
ypaul

Post by ypaul »

This is exciting. Connect 4 9x9 is a very deep game with a lot of interesting decisions. Competitive 6x7 will still have its place, but probably not unregulated in Arena mode in BGA.

Definitely give Connect 4 9x9 a proper shot if you’re a fan of games like Gomoku or Connect6.
4 op 1 reiger

Post by 4 op 1 reiger »

What a pity that 6x7 will not be available much longer. I don't care about cheaters using solvers. I cannot imagine that anybody would a gain a good feeling from winning a game by cheating. If you like to play like that the person you fool most is yourself.
ufm

Post by ufm »

4 op 1 reiger wrote: 27 September 2021, 18:20 What a pity that 6x7 will not be available much longer. I don't care about cheaters using solvers. I cannot imagine that anybody would a gain a good feeling from winning a game by cheating. If you like to play like that the person you fool most is yourself.
Yet again, 6x7 is still available, is still the default choice, and will not be removed. It will be playable as unranked.
4 op 1 reiger

Post by 4 op 1 reiger »

I really enjoyed getting a higher rank bit by bit and played thousands of games to get this far. In training mode, connect 4 loses it's value to me.
ufm

Post by ufm »

Then it's time to go deeper... onto larger boards.
Familiar opening sequences and main lines would be gone, but the principle is the same.
4 op 1 reiger

Post by 4 op 1 reiger »

Will those larger boards become available on bga?
Gernot

Post by Gernot »

This is nonsense. If players want to use solvers or other outside help, they'll find a way to do so in any game, whether it's completely solved or not. That's no reason to reduce 6x7 to training-mode only. Those players who don't cheat still enjoy their ELO rating, regardless of whether others cheat or not.
4 op 1 reiger

Post by 4 op 1 reiger »

I totally agree with Gernot

Return to “Connect Four”