Regarding Final points awarded in the Game

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/bugs
Rameshlal Chawla

Regarding Final points awarded in the Game

Post by Rameshlal Chawla »

I am a fan of this game and i have been playing this game for quite a while now. My wife and me are regular players of the game where in I invite her for the game as a friend. I find that when the final points are awarded, once any of one wins, every time when my wife wins she gets points in double digits and I get to loose the same amount of points. But when I win although, by a great margin, the points given to me are in single digit. So if I win two games, the number of points that are gained are wiped out by my wife winning one game. I do not understand the system of awarding points.
robinzig

Re: Regarding Final points awarded in the Game

Post by robinzig »

Presumably you have a considerably higher rating than your wife. If so, that's how ELO works - if a game has a (perceived) mismatch in skill level, then naturally the stronger player has more to lose and less to gain.

I don't think ELO ratings are commonly used in tennis (but they could be) - would you expect that you would only gain a small number of rating points if you managed to beat Roger Federer, or that he would gain a huge number from beating you? (If by any chance you're any kind of near-pro at tennis, please choose a similar analogy from a different game/sport! I'm imagining you're mediocre at best if not as completely hopeless as I am! :D ) No, of course not - it proves more or less nothing about Federer's skill if he beats you, so his rating will only improve by an infinitesimal amount, if at all. Whereas if you can beat him, that really does prove something unexpected.

It's the same principle, albeit less exaggerated because I assume neither of you are the Roger Federer of Splendor ;)
Last edited by robinzig on 02 October 2021, 10:01, edited 1 time in total.
Meeplelowda

Post by Meeplelowda »

robinzig wrote: 29 September 2021, 20:23 then naturally the weaker player has more to lose and less to gain.
Well said, except you wrote this part backwards. The stronger player has more to lose and less to gain, as with your Federer example.
robinzig

Post by robinzig »

Meeplelowda wrote: 02 October 2021, 02:04
robinzig wrote: 29 September 2021, 20:23 then naturally the weaker player has more to lose and less to gain.
Well said, except you wrote this part backwards. The stronger player has more to lose and less to gain, as with your Federer example.
Thanks, and well spotted. I've edited that now to fix it and avoid any confusion.
Rameshlal Chawla

Post by Rameshlal Chawla »

If the stronger stands to loose more than the weaker then players would rather play in "Training Mode" rather than "Normal Mode".

Return to “Splendor”