Card combos

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/bugs
En Passant

Card combos

Post by En Passant »

I just recently finished a game, where I first bought the regeneration card (Whenever you gain 1 heart, gain 1 extra), and then the Rapid Healing card (Spend 2 Energy at any time to gain 1 heart). Found it pretty powerful, and easily stayed in Tokyo to win by 20 points.
I've also done some combinations with the Bear card (whenever you gain 1 Energy, gain 1 extra), but often they would take too much time to be worth it.
What other card combos can you think of?
ryan888

Re: Card combos

Post by ryan888 »

I had the freeze time card with the also the card that lets you change a dice to a 1, herd caller I think.
With some luck I had multiple turns every round, and as I was in Tokyo, I blasted to 20 before anyone could stop me.
voriki

Post by voriki »

Parasitic Tentacles(buy card of others) + Alien Origin(buy for 1 ⚡ less) + Metamorph (sell your cards at full cost) + Friend of Children (when you get ⚡, you get +1 ⚡)
You just steal the cards from others, they don't get the full cost, and optionally you can sell the cards and Friend can even give you some more.
Almost any of those 4 cards can work as individual smaller combo's

Even Bigger(+2 ❤, your max ❤ goes to 12) + Metamorph(sell your cards at full cost)
It is a free +2 ❤, sell it as you don't really need to have your max ❤ to go up.
thoun

Post by thoun »

Complete destruction with a card that allow to change a die (stretch, plot twist or herd culler). With extra head it's also nice.
gordoz

Post by gordoz »

Totally insane game just went down where 1 person had Poison Spit, another had Shrink Ray, and another Mimicked the Shrink Ray. I got Energize and was able to buy Armor Plating and Camouflage on the same turn and added Background Dweller later on. You can carry a Poison counter all game and Armor Plating just negates it. Camou and Armor were nice because sometimes you could absorb a 2 or 3 claw hit since Camou triggers first and could drop the incoming damage down to 1 so that Armor could block it. After I got Background Dweller I had the chance to re-roll 3's that were rolled for Camou defense, which makes Camou even stronger. Great synergy between these defensive cards to negate all of the insane offense cards.
AlbusMalum

Post by AlbusMalum »

Kinda obvious, but Nova Breath (optional) + Shrink Ray + Poison Spit is effective.
Vampire + Poison Spit + Nova Breath (optional) almost insures you will always get one life per turn, but only if the target is in Tokyo. The Nova Breath makes it hit everyone at once.
voriki

Post by voriki »

Halloween expansion sure has pumped up the card combo potential.

I just dominated #212897175. I started very slow and saved my energy(till I had 13 or so), then suddenly I had 4 costumes as I stole 2 from another player.
And then I had Ghost(costume, at the end of each monster's turn, if you lost at least 1 ❤, gain 1 ❤) + Regeneration(when you gain at least 1 ❤, gain +1❤).
Every turn they hit me with 1 claw, I lose 1, I gain 2. They're healing me. A poison spit token? At the end of my turn I lost 1 heart, I gained 2. The poison spit token healed me.

I won at the end with 3 poison spit tokens on me, and a shrink ray, as my Princess costume brought me easily to the 20VP and I felt very safe in Tokyo.
Le007n

Post by Le007n »

One I saw which seemed way overpowered but also situational was:

Metamorph - sell keep cards
Friend of the children - get 1 extra when getting any energy
Media friendly - get 1vp when you buy a card

Combined cost about 9 energy

One set up, the player just bought and sold cards from the middle to rack up 25+ energy and one VP per transaction

They then bought some of the cards which gave vp with the giant haul off energy amassed to close things out, jumping from last to first

The only way this could have been wide would be with the alien origins card for cheaper buying!

Good tactic but I would be interested on @Thoun's thoughts, should the rules allow you to sell a keep card you bought in the same turn since you can't generally benefit from keep cards until the next turn?
thoun

Post by thoun »

Text card don't say you can't, I don't see why we should prevent it. When a player is about to get a good combo, other players should buy card/swipe cards to prevent player getting this good combo
Le007n

Post by Le007n »

No I agree if that's the expected behaviour, its fair game :)

I just wasn't sure if that was the actual ruling!

Return to “King of Tokyo”