Feature request: limit number of retries

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/bugs
Jortmungandr

Feature request: limit number of retries

Post by Jortmungandr »

Letter Tycoon has the option to attach a dictionary, but also you can limit the amount of retries if you make a mistake. In Hardback on BGG, it is technically possible to rearrange letters and continue to submit words infinitely, which I think is against the spirit of the game (while the original rules don't specify what to do if there's a mistake, there are rules that when you are out of ideas to ask your opponents for help in exchange for a little compensation). One additional note: it seems that with every attempted submission, a player's game clock may be resetting to 2 days (at least in my 2-day async play), which means not only are there infinite retries, players can keep trying infinitely...

So I would love to see a table-creation option to limit the number of mistake word retries - options for 1, 2, or 3 retries would be great. Thank you!
ufm

Re: Feature request: limit number of retries

Post by ufm »

The clock doesn't reset after a failed spelling.

Letter Tycoon has a challenge rule, but manual challenge delays turn-based games severely.
Hence auto challenge and retry limit options are implemented together.

Hardback doesn't have a challenge rule. So, implementing retry limit is against the rules.
Real time games effectively prevent the number of retries through time limit.
If you play turn-based, you are allowing more retries naturally (but not to infinite in time limit games).
quietmint

Post by quietmint »

I'm not opposed to adding a game option to limit retries (with unlimited retries as the default).

For real time games, I agree this is supposed to be taken care of by the game timer. For turn based games, the timer is so long that this isn't practical.
quietmint

Post by quietmint »

Version 211204-2104: This option has been added

Return to “Hardback”