Scopes and rules ?

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/bugs
Phoxtrot

Scopes and rules ?

Post by Phoxtrot »

Ok, according to BGK, this is actually a Big Box for "Russian Railroads" containing all the existing extensions as well as a new " Asian Railroads" module and a single player variant.

At the start of the beta period, upon opening a table for this game, I see that we have the choice between the Russian and Asiatic tracks.
The American and German tracks are not there and there is no solo play either.

Out of curiosity, what is the intended scope for this implementation ?

We also badly need some rules, I couldn't find any rules for the Asiatic module on BGK.

This is all I could find on the publisher's site:
https://www.hans-im-glueck.de/en/news/a ... roads.html

Edit:
Rules in German:
https://www.hans-im-glueck.de/_Resource ... DE_web.pdf

Rules in English:
https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/2300 ... ook-en-web
Last edited by Phoxtrot on 28 October 2021, 15:15, edited 1 time in total.
Victoria_La

Re: Scopes and rules ?

Post by Victoria_La »

This time only Asian expansion is implemented. Since in Ultimate railroads its a bit lego like you can combined different pieces together.
I.e. you can play russian city track + asian industy, or visa versa.
Base game changes:
* track colors changed
* two more 10 locomotives are added (can select any when times come to pick)
** one of them factory allows you to use advance token by discarding another one (technically both discard as this does not count towards your tokens)
** second give you immediate scoring for sum of bronze+green tracks
* City Key concept added - instead of just 10 points when you reach destination you have a choice now of 3 things (3rd thing only works with Asian industry)
* Two more advantage tokens added - one gives you 4 gold and one 2 keys
* Two more bonus cards added - one gives you score of green+bronze and one score based on how many keys you have (based on visual inspection of the board)
* Second ind marker has now + 2 ind advancements
* On the board graphics - Advantage token symbol ? replaced with light bulb
* When you unlock something from player board if it has no rail - wood rail assumed (i.e. if only locomotive shown - its both wooden + locomotive)

Asian comes with new concept - Shared industry track
* you no longer have private industry track
* when you buy factory the bonus is to get actions from the factory at the bottom factory (that you are covering) that includes printed. These are mandatory actions (cannot skip them). Can only place factory at the same level (i.e. if first layer of factories is not finished you cannot start second)
* in addition when you buy factory you can "Deploy" your Wagon
* Wagon is new concept, that allows you to use a factory where active wagon present instead of worker action. The wagon has a livecycle
Personal supply -> Player buys factory: Deploy (Wagon now in inactive state laying down) -> Anybody moves though that factory: Wagon activates -> Player uses wagon instead of worker action: Wagon goes to Workshop -> Player gets Key: Wagon can be Re-deployed as inactive back on board
* When you play with shared industry train 2 factory now has 2 wood trakcs instead of loco/factory buy action
* There is extra Adv Bonus card that gives you extra 3 wagons of purple colors

Asian boards
* Asian railoads have a lot more locomotive slots but they blocked at the begging, you can unlock them on the board
* There is another advantage token Osaka - that replaces III railroad
* Doubles can go on different railroads
* Tracks like gold can go on different railroads, but you still have 1 max (to place it click on first slot of railroad - it will reloate track from another one)
Phoxtrot

Post by Phoxtrot »

Thanks.

I'm wondering about how the Tokyo-Osaka extension works.

I see that my rails remain where they are when I overlay the extension.

I guess that if I already had a rail on position 7 with a 7+ locomotive upon playing the extension, I would immediately gain a new advantage token ?

What about the key ?
I guess I can only get 1 key for the Tokyo track ?
Either on position 7 before playing the Osaka extension, OR on position 8 after playing the extension OR from reaching position 17 or more on the Beijing Track with the Osaka extension played at some point.

Or is there a way to exploit the extension two get 2 of the keys listed above ?

-------------------------
Edit:
See also dev comment here:
https://boardgamearena.com/bug?id=50657

Apparently, there is still only 1 gold track but with the Osaka extension, you can get the 2 free gold moves and a key twice. Once when unlocking gold from Osaka extension and one from reaching 17 on the beijing railroad ?

It's still a bit murky for me however.
Like what if you had already reached spot 17 or more when you play the Osaka extension, do you then get a key ?
Last edited by Phoxtrot on 15 October 2021, 11:48, edited 1 time in total.
Phoxtrot

Post by Phoxtrot »

cigma

Post by cigma »

I find it somewhat irritating that Ultimate Railroads and Russian Railroads are two "different games" here on BGA, allthough they are basically the same game.
Last edited by cigma on 14 October 2021, 23:13, edited 1 time in total.
#zan_zendegi_azadi / #woman_life_freedom
#StandWithUkraine
Language is a source of misunderstanding. (Antoine de Saint-Exupery: The Little Prince) But it is also the source of understanding - it all depends on how you use it. :-)
ufm

Post by ufm »

Same as TtA, I guess. I agree this being irritating though.
Patrick of the Isles

Post by Patrick of the Isles »

Victoria_La wrote: 14 October 2021, 14:08 This time only Asian expansion is implemented. Since in Ultimate railroads its a bit lego like you can combined different pieces together.
I.e. you can play russian city track + asian industy, or visa versa.
Base game changes:
* track colors changed
* two more 10 locomotives are added (can select any when times come to pick)
** one of them factory allows you to use advance token by discarding another one (technically both discard as this does not count towards your tokens)
** second give you immediate scoring for sum of bronze+green tracks
* City Key concept added - instead of just 10 points when you reach destination you have a choice now of 3 things (3rd thing only works with Asian industry)
* Two more advantage tokens added - one gives you 4 gold and one 2 keys
* Two more bonus cards added - one gives you score of green+bronze and one score based on how many keys you have (based on visual inspection of the board)
* Second ind marker has now + 2 ind advancements
* On the board graphics - Advantage token symbol ? replaced with light bulb
* When you unlock something from player board if it has no rail - wood rail assumed (i.e. if only locomotive shown - its both wooden + locomotive)

Asian comes with new concept - Shared industry track
* you no longer have private industry track
* when you buy factory the bonus is to get actions from the factory at the bottom factory (that you are covering) that includes printed. These are mandatory actions (cannot skip them). Can only place factory at the same level (i.e. if first layer of factories is not finished you cannot start second)
* in addition when you buy factory you can "Deploy" your Wagon
* Wagon is new concept, that allows you to use a factory where active wagon present instead of worker action. The wagon has a livecycle
Personal supply -> Player buys factory: Deploy (Wagon now in inactive state laying down) -> Anybody moves though that factory: Wagon activates -> Player uses wagon instead of worker action: Wagon goes to Workshop -> Player gets Key: Wagon can be Re-deployed as inactive back on board
* When you play with shared industry train 2 factory now has 2 wood trakcs instead of loco/factory buy action
* There is extra Adv Bonus card that gives you extra 3 wagons of purple colors

Asian boards
* Asian railoads have a lot more locomotive slots but they blocked at the begging, you can unlock them on the board
* There is another advantage token Osaka - that replaces III railroad
* Doubles can go on different railroads
* Tracks like gold can go on different railroads, but you still have 1 max (to place it click on first slot of railroad - it will reloate track from another one)
Thank you so much for implementing this! As someone who has played thousands of games of Russian Railroads here on BGA, I have been eagerly awaiting the release of Ultimate Railroads, and hoping it might someday come to BGA. Really this has made my day - many of us RR enthusiasts will get a lot of enjoyment out of this new implementation!
Victoria_La

Post by Victoria_La »

cigma wrote: 14 October 2021, 22:45 I find it somewhat irritating that Ultimate Railroads and Russian Railroads are two "different games" here on BGA, allthough they are basically the same game.
Well that is how it is in real life too... Because they changed all the track colors its not compatible from RR version 1.

Ultimate Railroads is in beta now, when its fully working we may get rid of the other one. But not sure if people will be happy to lose all there records and achievements for old one.
cigma

Post by cigma »

Victoria_La wrote: 15 October 2021, 13:48
cigma wrote: 14 October 2021, 22:45 I find it somewhat irritating that Ultimate Railroads and Russian Railroads are two "different games" here on BGA, allthough they are basically the same game.
Well that is how it is in real life too... Because they changed all the track colors its not compatible from RR version 1.

Ultimate Railroads is in beta now, when its fully working we may get rid of the other one. But not sure if people will be happy to lose all there records and achievements for old one.
Thank you for the explanation!
#zan_zendegi_azadi / #woman_life_freedom
#StandWithUkraine
Language is a source of misunderstanding. (Antoine de Saint-Exupery: The Little Prince) But it is also the source of understanding - it all depends on how you use it. :-)
Patrick of the Isles

Post by Patrick of the Isles »

Victoria_La wrote: 15 October 2021, 13:48

There would definitely be a lot of opposition to removing the first edition of Russian Railroads. I suspect a significant portion of the user base will migrate to the 2nd edition rules once the bugs are worked out, but just as with Through the Ages, a few may prefer to keep playing the old one, and it surely does no harm to allow that.

Return to “Ultimate Railroads”