Arena - Is this a bug?

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/bugs
VKV FR

Arena - Is this a bug?

Post by VKV FR »

Hi,

I know I'm not supposed to post bugs on the forum, but I would like to have an external opinion about this situation - and then I'll post a bug report if appropriate.

I had started a game against Salvidrim in the previous Arena season, on september 23rd.
Here is the game log: https://boardgamearena.com/gamereview?table=203916712 (table 203916712)

The game went on slowly, and at the end of the season, on october 5th, the game is ended (see move 54) and I receive a message saying Salvidrim lost due to having the longest delay, and I can quit the game without penalty. I play one last move, and choose to quit the game.

I forgot about the game, but it went on without me. In the log, on October 10th, there is message saying that whatever happens, I'm going to lose the game.

Then yesterday, on october 14th, there were more moves attributed to Salvidrim and to me, although I was not playing at all (!).
A few minutes later, Salvidrim left the game and won it (!).

So what is weird here:
- I lost a game that had been already cancelled in my favour at the end of the previous season
- There are moves attributed to me that I did not play
- I received a penalty (loss of ELO point) I shouldn't have received.

What do you think?
Thanks!

VKV
ufm

Re: Arena - Is this a bug?

Post by ufm »

You lost neither EAS nor ELO. Check the game record.
Also, Salvidrim didn't earn any ELO. I think he lost EAS when Arena season ended, but I can't confirm.

You technically 'lost' the game itself because the game didn't end properly.
However, it didn't do anything against you. The message is indeed confusing though.
VKV FR

Post by VKV FR »

OK, you are right. Although the game conclusion (and my game history) shows I have lost 17 ELO points, from 411 to 394, my actual ELO ranking has not changed - it's still 411.

Thanks for taking the time to check this, ufm!
Salvidrim

Post by Salvidrim »

Yes sorry about that (and sorry for not seeing this post where I'm mentioned earlier!). I always pick 1 move per 24h time control, some days I end up playing many moves, sometimes only one move a day. Usually I still have many ongoing games at the end of the season. Thankfully BGA is smart about handling those fairly!!

At the end of an Arena Season, all games are "concluded", whoever had the most thinking time (usually me!) "loses" the Arena game and the normal EAS, and the others "win" the Arena game and normal EAS, before the final Arena rankings are tabulated. The table is then converted to "training" mode, and players are free to continue playing without a time limit and without stakes, or leave the table with no penalty to their ELO (or of course EAS). Usually I stick around and play through the end but for some players it's not worth it and they leave the table, so then as the only remaining player I "finish" the table to close it (either with the absent opponent auto-playing AI moves if the game is setup for it, or otherwise by using the "abandon" function), which means technically in the BGA log I'm marked as the "winner", but since it was at that point a Training mode table, the result is nil for everyone.

Return to “CODEX Naturalis”