Option to play without the 9-train?

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/bugs
Rooster6975

Option to play without the 9-train?

Post by Rooster6975 »

Hi,

Can we get an option we need to select on the setup screen to not play with the 9-train? It's one of the Locomotive Advantage cards, and in our games, is always the first one selected. In fact, the games have degenerated into a race for the 9-train where strategy all revolves around who will get that one single advantage. When we play in real life, we leave it out. It makes for a much better game. But with it in, the first player to get it always places it in the same spot, and maxes out point production every round until the game ends. Invariably, that player wins.

I think the game itself is great, but that card is overpowered in my opinion. It would be fantastic to have an option to turn on which simply left it out of the game.
ufm

Re: Option to play without the 9-train?

Post by ufm »

Experts or masters will disagree. According to replays it is not overpowered at all in high-end games.
TubaMulder

Post by TubaMulder »

In our games, the total end-game-bonus we fight over is the sum of 4 best trains, since all players typically average 30pts in potential train points. We don't rush for the 9-train.
capnemo-1734

Post by capnemo-1734 »

ufm wrote: 21 October 2021, 01:12 Experts or masters will disagree. According to replays it is not overpowered at all in high-end games.
Sure, but omitting a card for those who want to try this option isn't, I think, I big development issue. There are cards in Kingdom Builder that some folks like to omit, because they don't like what it does for the game. I guess it just depends if enough others want this option, to warrant the work.
brian00

Post by brian00 »

Hello! The nine train may be looks strong at the first games but when you know the game a little it become very situational. I think that i take it may be 1 time in 15 games and when i do it is becouse i'm a little bit desesperated.

Return to “Ultimate Railroads”