How to recover if no resources and less than 4 coins?

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/bugs
SardaukarWI

How to recover if no resources and less than 4 coins?

Post by SardaukarWI »

I'm playing my first game of Deus and I've ran into a situation where I appear to be completely stuck. I have used up all of my resources and I only have 3 coins left. In order to gain more resources or coins, I need to play (i.e. build) a card. But every card requires at least 1 resource or at least 4 coins to build. The only thing I can do now is discard. I've even tried discarding everything with a scientific building on top to gain 10 new cards, but I don't see anything that can be played for free.

Am I stuck just discarding until the game ends? Is there any other way to gain coins or resources outside of playing a card?

Note to self for next game, never take an action that leaves you in this situation again...
Spiegel428

Re: How to recover if no resources and less than 4 coins?

Post by Spiegel428 »

SardaukarWI wrote: 25 October 2021, 14:08 Am I stuck just discarding until the game ends? Is there any other way to gain coins or resources outside of playing a card?
There are some discards that let you gain coins/resources when they're on top. If you don't have any of those then I guess you need to keep discarding until you get one. Mind you, I've only played the game once, so I'm not sure on the strategy either.
SardaukarWI

Post by SardaukarWI »

I didn't see any cards that give coins or resources when discarding after several 10 card dumps, but then noticed that the green buildings (looks like cities in Catan) give you one resource per card discarded when it is on top. So this gave me 10 resources. 🙂

So now back to our regularly scheduled program....
robinzig

Post by robinzig »

Yes, discarding Green on top gives you resources, and blue gives you coins. And don't forget that purple can be used as a "wild" god/color when discarding. I guess you could get unlucky and draw none of these colours for several turns in a row but that would be very unusual and unlucky.

Later in the game when you've got some cards in your tableau you can often find that playing blue or brown cards, as well as green, can give you a net profit in resources.

Return to “Deus”