How come I'm not allowed to get extra tokens....

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/bugs
oakye

How come I'm not allowed to get extra tokens....

Post by oakye »

Often my token count may say something like 7/10 or 8/10 and when I select an additional token, the only option I have is to "start over".

The way I played this in real life was that I could have up to 10 tokens, not counting the cards of jewels I'd amassed. This is happening to me when I am not trying to get 2 tokens of the same color. Am I missing some other rule?

I'd like to try to upload a screenshot I took but I don't have an image URL for it sooo I'll try to describe the scene:

I have the following bought gems (cards)
* 1 diamond
* 1 blue
* 2 green
* 1 red
* 1 brown
* 1 gold

I have the following gem "tokens", and the counter says "5/10"
* 1 blue
* 1 green
* 2 red
* 1 gold

The tableau has the following gem tokens available to grab:
* 3 diamonds
* 1 blue
* 2 green
* 1 red
* 4 brown
* 4 gold

I took 1 red (the last one), the header says "You selected <red gem> [Start over] button"

Please help!
Meeplelowda

Re: How come I'm not allowed to get extra tokens....

Post by Meeplelowda »

It seems like you should be able to take the red. This may be a bug. What's the game number?
nccc

Post by nccc »

u can use imgur link.
https://imgur.com/
lordalx

Post by lordalx »

Hi. From the explained situation, I don't get why you want to limit your turn in grabbing only 1 ruby, considering you are allowed to take only 2 of the same kind but only 1 is remaining in the tableau.

Per game rules, you shall take either 3 differents gems, or 2 of a kind. I guess in this situation the game interface expect from you to grab 3 gems before the confirm button appears. Following this you could give back the gems in excess.
robinzig

Post by robinzig »

lordalx wrote: 28 October 2021, 09:30 Hi. From the explained situation, I don't get why you want to limit your turn in grabbing only 1 ruby, considering you are allowed to take only 2 of the same kind but only 1 is remaining in the tableau.

Per game rules, you shall take either 3 differents gems, or 2 of a kind. I guess in this situation the game interface expect from you to grab 3 gems before the confirm button appears. Following this you could give back the gems in excess.
If I understood the OP right, they want to take 3 gems, but after selecting red, they don't get given the option to take any more.
lordalx

Post by lordalx »

That would makes sense... Let's wait for any screenshot or bug report then ;)
oakye

Post by oakye »

Thanks especially for the imgur link suggestion. I hope this works:

https://imgur.com/a/1WXs7Xr

p.s. robinzig is correct - I'd love to take 3 total tokens but when I start to take one, there's no point because the "Start Over" button appears.

I then try to un-select one gem then try all the other colors, same situation.

Table number = 211220179
We're in Casual mode.

I've experienced this before in prior Splendor games, so it quite possibly is user error. I tried re-reading the rules, though it was the summary in BGA. I'll read a copy of the actual game instructions as well.
Kharg

Post by Kharg »

oakye wrote: 29 October 2021, 05:28 Thanks especially for the imgur link suggestion. I hope this works:

p.s. robinzig is correct - I'd love to take 3 total tokens but when I start to take one, there's no point because the "Start Over" button appears.

Table number = 211220179
We're in Casual mode.

I've experienced this before in prior Splendor games, so it quite possibly is user error. I tried re-reading the rules, though it was the summary in BGA. I'll read a copy of the actual game instructions as well.
The way I understand you are trying to take the red token and only that one, but you can't do that.

The Start Over button seems to always appears when you select tokens, in case you want to redo your turn. The confirm button will only appear when you make a legal selection of tokens, either 2 of the same color or 3 different colors. In the case you already have 9/10 tokens already, you still need to make a legal selection of tokens and then discard after.
oakye

Post by oakye »

So then either the "5/10" count is off and should say 9/10 (or 10/10 if you count the gold token, 11/11), or the count should only be looking at tokens, not including the cards I've acquired.

Otherwise, how is one to afford cards that cost > 10 tokens?
robinzig

Post by robinzig »

Kharg wrote: 29 October 2021, 13:10
oakye wrote: 29 October 2021, 05:28 Thanks especially for the imgur link suggestion. I hope this works:

Table number = 211220179
We're in Casual mode.

The way I understand you are trying to take the red token and only that one, but you can't do that.

The Start Over button seems to always appears when you select tokens, in case you want to redo your turn. The confirm button will only appear when you make a legal selection of tokens, either 2 of the same color or 3 different colors. In the case you already have 9/10 tokens already, you still need to make a legal selection of tokens and then discard after.
They don't have 9, they only have 5 - the rest are gems on cards, but the limit of 10 is specifically for gem tokens.

The problem is that the OP is not being given the option to take any more tokens after picking the red one - it's been a while since I played Splendor on BGA but if I recall correctly you're given the options in the top bar, but in the screenshot there are no options, just the one to restart your turn. So it's impossible for the OP to proceed with their turn.

Apologies if I've misunderstood - but if not, this looks like a bug.

[EDIT: I may have misremembered, perhaps the options aren't in the top bar and you simply select the gems from the piles on the right. But if that's the case then that would have been the case for the first choice of red too, and I don't understand why the OP would see an issue in this specific situation as they'd just need to continue what they were doing. It's clearly quite a few turns into the game so it's unlikely the OP is simply misunderstanding the interface!]
Last edited by robinzig on 29 October 2021, 17:20, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Splendor”