Pente variants and potential expansions

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/bugs
watsu

Pente variants and potential expansions

Post by watsu »

The implementation of Pente here has added some new (as far as I know) online playing options and combinations to online Pente play. Specifically, the self capture forbidden option is one which I haven't seen implemented anywhere else and the self capture enabled game as implemented here counts a 10-10 capture score as a drawn game (as opposed to an overtime scenario).

Potential for expansion of the options for Pente would be the following:
1. 13x13 board (sometimes referred to as small Pente)
2. exactly five in a row needed to win (two options here - overlines forbidden and overlines just don't win)
3. making two open threes or two open fours with a move is forbidden (either for the first player or both players)
Combining some version of 2 and 3 with the current overtime capture allowed rule enabled is an implementation of Pente's parent game ninuki renju.
ufm

Re: Pente variants and potential expansions

Post by ufm »

1. It already exists :)
2. I tried the second option in alpha, but it caused too much trouble (especially with other variants) and I had to drop it.
3. Sorry, no plan to implement renju here yet. Currently busy with other projects.
watsu

Post by watsu »

Excellent work that you've done, thank you!
ufm

Post by ufm »

'Overline forbidden' option is added. This will be the last major update, unless I add renju forbidden move rules (which is unlikely to happen).

Return to “Pente”