Establishing 5th Dice Process

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/bugs
Badchenn

Establishing 5th Dice Process

Post by Badchenn »

It seems that the game allows a user to select a 5th die in the first round and then (though unlikely) continue to re-use that same value. For example, select a '3' and then use 3 as the 5th die for subsequent turns.

Looking over the official rules, I pick up that the first three roles require that three distinct die values are set. For example, role 1 = '6', role 2 = '1' and role 3 = '5'. Those 3 5th die values are then used throughout the remainder of the game.

I realize that a current 5th die value needs to be re-used should the second or third role not contain a distinct 5th die.

Thoughts? Can anyone verify this is the proper game behavior?
SquashEngineer

Re: Establishing 5th Dice Process

Post by SquashEngineer »

I'm a newb to Can't Stop Express (but I'm lovin' it), so I'm not an expert.

Scenario #1: The BGA link for Can't Stop Express Rules (link to Ultra Board Games - How to Play page) says:

"The 5th Die
In each of the first three turns, each player must select a unique 5th die to add to their chart in the three left boxes and must also mark the use of that die number by filling in the first check box.
Once players have completed the first three turns they will have three unique 5th die numbers in the three left boxes of their chart."

Scenario #2: The BGG file for PnP Rules (seems unofficial) says:

"The 5th Die
As long as a player has not chosen all three numbers, s/he can decide whether to check off an already chosen number, or choose a new number to check off. "

Summary: I have not investigated the Can't Stop developer website for FAQ and I haven't seen the official rules from an actual game box. Since I am playing the game as PnP of my own version, my house rules follow Scenario #2, AND it seems to be the way it is coded at BGA. Scenario #1 Rules link on the BGA Game Page, however, seems in conflict with the BGA coding. (as noted correctly by OP)

Officially: I am not sure, but I may investigate further for clarification. I love digging into Rules Errata.
Cullich

Post by Cullich »

Interesting. I was never taught anything about whether you could start re-using your 5th die choices immediately vs having to pick all three to start. But, that's what happens when I don't read the rules for myself.

There's one way to find out. As long as it's at least a reasonable move, purposely repeat a choice you already made and see if it lets you again. Or... it also seems to me it only shows the available options, so if it shows ones you have already picked, then obviously you can do that.

(A trip to BGG just confused me more since there are several variants on things discussed there.)
LightKnight

Post by LightKnight »

Is that really a genuine question?
Guys, you can pick up any dice as long as you haven't defined your 3rd 5th dice. Once you have, you can only pick up configurations whose 5th dice is one of your 3 choices, except when no one does, in which case you can pick up any configuration.
SquashEngineer

Post by SquashEngineer »

LightKnight wrote: 22 March 2022, 21:23 Is that really a genuine question?
Guys, you can pick up any dice as long as you haven't defined your 3rd 5th dice. Once you have, you can only pick up configurations whose 5th dice is one of your 3 choices, except when no one does, in which case you can pick up any configuration.
The OP question is legit. The essence of the original question is: "Do you HAVE TO choose three unique 5th dice choices in the first three rolls."

BGA has coded it such that, no you do not HAVE TO, you can re-use the same 5th dice roll for any number of turns, prior to filling in your three 5th dice choices. I've demonstrated that functionality in a number of games on BGA.

The ambiguity in the rules occurs in the sources quoted above: both cases are quoted in different rule sets, neither of which seem to be an official copy from an actual published game copy. Both sources are re-writes of the rules. Eagle-Gryphon publisher does not provide an availalbe on-line copy of their official rules (obviously for commercial considerations).

My pet peeve: I find the re-writing of rules on BGA introduces a number of cases similar to this.
SquashEngineer

Post by SquashEngineer »

Apparently this same topic has been discussed significantly in the past. Game variants, editions, and rule changes have contributed.

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/188040 ... sid-sackso

I will be adopting the stance that the first three rolls of the 5th dice DO NOT have to be unique. Within my research however, I may also be giving the Extra! score sheet a try - it looks to contain a few cool modifiers.
LightKnight

Post by LightKnight »

The legitimity and being accurately what the game intended is one question. What's in the rules book on the internet does indeed differ from what's implemented on BGA.
But as for the rules actually implemented in the game in BGA, I tell you, you can choose any configuration as long as you have not defined your third 5th dice. Actually I often do that, like once every three games. I find it weird that whether it's possible in the game, and if this can be tested, is even a question.
SquashEngineer

Post by SquashEngineer »

LightKnight wrote: 24 March 2022, 16:11 The legitimity and being accurately what the game intended is one question. What's in the rules book on the internet does indeed differ from what's implemented on BGA.
But as for the rules actually implemented in the game in BGA, I tell you, you can choose any configuration as long as you have not defined your third 5th dice. Actually I often do that, like once every three games. I find it weird that whether it's possible in the game, and if this can be tested, is even a question.
I like the dialogue.
Agreed the testing comments were unnecessary, since the digital BGA game version eliminates all forbidden choices, and displays all the player's options automatically, thus enforcing the coded rules (that's different than enforcing the rules in a table top game).
Both the In Game How to Play rules AND the BGA Link to Rules remain a discrepancy to the coded BGA functionality.
The Video Tutorial does not address the case.
The printed commercial copy of Can't Stop Express board game (seems) to match the BGA coded game play (although I can't physically verify).
cigma

Post by cigma »

According to https://boardgamearena.com/bug?id=51911 the publisher has changed the original rules. They confirmed that: "it is NOT mandatory to pick 3 5th die numbers in the first 3 turns."
#zan_zendegi_azadi / #woman_life_freedom
#StandWithUkraine
Language is a source of misunderstanding. (Antoine de Saint-Exupery: The Little Prince) But it is also the source of understanding - it all depends on how you use it. :-)
SquashEngineer

Post by SquashEngineer »

And we can agree EGG has published the game rules this way.

eaglegryphon.egnyte.com/dl/7ctW2ifhVH/cantstop_rulebook_LOWRES.pdf_

The How To Play on BGA remains ambiguous, the How to Play rules link to Ultra Board Games is not appropriate, and the Files rules documents provided are inappropriate.

I think the new player confusion will continue on BGA until those rule references are modified.

Return to “Can't Stop Express”