New feature: Friend requests

What's new on BGA ?
Archduke

New feature: Friend requests

Post by Archduke »

Dear players,

We are all more and more concerned about privacy, and about which information we want to share with which people.

Board Game Arena used to have a basic approach to "friends," as you were able to add any player to your friends list without their consent. Basically, it was more like a "follow" and not really a "friend request."

This was practical, but it was also preventing us from introducing several features to improve the experience of playing with friends on BGA.

In the future, we will provide you more ways to meet, play, and exchange with your friends on BGA. With these additional features, you will not want to be friends with anyone without your consent. This is the reason we are introducing "Friend requests" now on BGA.

Friend requests work exactly the way you expect them to work: to become friends with someone, you need to request it and the other player must accept.

What about your current friends?
  • If you were a "mutual friend" with a player (= you added each other to your friend list), you are now automatically friends with this player. Nothing more to do
  • If one of your friends did not add you as a friend in return, this player is no longer considered one of your friends. However, you can send a friend request with just one click from the "Community" page.
Ready to make new friends?

See also: Why have some of my friends disappeared? https://boardgamearena.com/faq?anchor=f ... riendsgone
Yasten

Re: New feature: Friend requests

Post by Yasten »

Tbh, there should at least be a "follow" button in case...
el cosimo

Post by el cosimo »

Yasten wrote: 16 November 2021, 23:49 Tbh, there should at least be a "follow" button in case...
That is what they want to prevent. Not everyone like that people see when your on if you aren’t a friend.
RicardoRix

Post by RicardoRix »

I have just had a friend request from someone who I don't want to add to my friends. It adds annoying messages when they login/logout and clutters the friends list when making a game table.
BUT.. I'm not adverse to the fact that that player wants to follow me or have me in his friends list.
This in-between option is not available anymore. Rather than Accept / Deny, is should be: Accept / Deny / Allow to follow.
Yasten

Post by Yasten »

Wow, so now even the player who is friend requested is annoyed... I understood when it was just the player who DECIDED to follow the other.
AlbusMalum

Post by AlbusMalum »

So apparently, you're saying you can just spam friend requests to a single person to be annoying?
Archduke

Post by Archduke »

Players will only receive updates about each other if the friend request has been accepted.
cigma

Post by cigma »

Maybe I missed something, but I wonder why I find this important information anywhere in the forums and not at the front page of BGA?
#zan_zendegi_azadi / #woman_life_freedom
#StandWithUkraine
Language is a source of misunderstanding. (Antoine de Saint-Exupery: The Little Prince) But it is also the source of understanding - it all depends on how you use it. :-)
dispossessed

Post by dispossessed »

Archduke wrote: 20 November 2021, 06:27 Players will only receive updates about each other if the friend request has been accepted.
I misclicked friend request when browsing profiles, but I find no way to withdraw it!
Archduke

Post by Archduke »

friendly_gamer wrote: 21 November 2021, 15:43 I misclicked friend request when browsing profiles, but I find no way to withdraw it!
Click the “See more…” link at the bottom of the friends tag of your profile (https://boardgamearena.com/player?section=friends). From there you should see your pending requests, each with a corresponding cancel button. Hope this helps!

Return to “BGA release notes”