Suggested Improvement: Continual Scoring

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/bugs
Gislef

Suggested Improvement: Continual Scoring

Post by Gislef »

Not sure if it's part of the real-life game or not. For BGA, would be nice if you had a continual scoring update,and that it could be displayed for all of your opponents and yours for them.

Without it, you just stare at your 0 counter, and your opponents' ? counter, for the whole game, Not only is it boring and wasted space (if it's always 0, why do we need space allocated to display the 0 in the first place)

Interaction tends to make you more competitive. :) Updating your score for whatever temples you have in play would also be nice. It helps to determine "Hmmm, shoudl I play one more building to get those VPs on the three-building temple, or do some sacrificing to the gods to get 2 VPs, or activate my armies to steal some VPs from an opponent?"

What do you think, sirs?
Gislef
robinzig

Re: Suggested Improvement: Continual Scoring

Post by robinzig »

Have you seen the user preferences menu in the top right? The burger menu I mean. This exists on every BGA game but quite a few players seem not to know about it - so no criticism implied if this is also new to you.

There are various options there for Deus, mostly to do with changing display options / layout but also including one that can be set to show the current scores from played temples rather than zeros. Personally I keep this turned on, even though I initially resisted the idea of including this when it was first suggested during the Alpha phase.
Gislef

Post by Gislef »

I'll check it out again. Thanks!
Gislef
Jest Phulin

Post by Jest Phulin »

And while I agree that seeing current scores for temples is nice, and that any time someone received victory points during the game is public information, the physical game specifically has players hide how many points they currently have. As such, the BGA implementation should have that as well. You can always see how many points you currently have, but how others are doing requires some memory.
BruceGee

Post by BruceGee »

It doesn't require any memory. You can always just scroll back and replay the game, or if you really care, write down whenever someone gets points. It's just an annoyance.
Playing an asynchronous game online is a different experience than playing an in-person game. It doesn't make sense to try to use the exact same rules. In an online game, if keeping detailed notes or a spreadsheet of cards played will help me win, then that is what I will do.
Jest Phulin

Post by Jest Phulin »

If that's the way you want to play, nothing is stopping you. (Just remind me to never play with you... :) ) But the BGA licenses state that they need to make the game as close to the physical edition as possible. This means without the publisher's explicit approval, BGA cannot implement displaying other player's scores.

This has even been implemented in such games as Jaipur so that the log will show the last move, but then that information is removed so scrolling through the log does no good.

Return to “Deus”