7WD Arena vanilla vs all expansions

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/bugs

How should be the Arena be designed?

Only one Arena mode (vinalla,pantheon,agora,full) should be accessible (non alternating, not parallel) [pls argue below, why]
21%
Multiple versions of the game should be playable in Arena, but it should be alternating by season. [also argue why, please]
20%
Multiple versions of the game should be playable in Arena at the same time (but with devided Aerna scores)
53%
Multiple versions of the game should be playable in Arena at the same time (but with same Aerna scores)
6%

Total votes: 163

frankenStain

7WD Arena vanilla vs all expansions

Post by frankenStain »

since I'm not a Guru in this game (how are they even chosen?? ), I can't influence the next Arena rules directly.
I wanted to argue that 7WD duel vanilla and 7WD with all expansions are almost completely different games, if you play it competitively - so my idea would be 2 different Arenas for it, so all can play competitively at the same time.
First question would be, do you guys know to whom I'd need to write, to make that happen ?
Second question do you think its a good idea? (argue your opinion please)
Let me quick argue why it is.
- Firstly, from my experience (playing all versions of the game very decently), it IS a gigantic difference - and there should be an opportunity for people who play the most complex version of the game, to play it competitively.
- Secondly, I analyzed the top 200 players (by elo) a while back... usually they exclusively play one version of it, especially if they have a premium account. Least group playing was pure Pantheon; And least by far. About equal were Agora, vanilla and Agora+Pantheon. People who played Agora and Agora+Pantheon, played from time to time the other, and people who played vanilla almost never played anything else.
-> thats why it should be more then one arena (if thats not technically possible it should be alternating)

why it should be 2 different ones, and not 3 or 4 (because the argument about, where we're going to draw lines, will come for sure):
by playerbase there seemed to be 3 most relevant categories (it would be great to have (better) tools for analyzing it properly..) : vanilla, Agora, Agora+Pantheon

from experience, Agora changed the whole game - it plays more like an alternative game, with similar design; It is more than a expansion (like Pantheon is) - this alone would earn Agora the right to be played in Arena. Pantheon adds to this more complexity (to vanilla and agora), and makes the game with full expansions the most complex, tactical, and in my mind, best suited for most hardcore competitive play (Also its WAY less random, then all other versions, without being too restrictive - well I guess that's why its tactical and not strategic...).
It would make sense to have arena for both, Agora and all expansions, but in that case you would split the playerbase (cause people DO play the other version sometimes AND added Pantheon is way easier to learn/master). So you'd have to choose (it could also be alternating, with some weighting, just not at same time) which one; If it would be always the same one, it should be Agora+Pantheon over Agora, because, as I said, it is competitive play, and this is the most complex version of the game.

And the reason why vanilla should exist as Arena, preferably parallel to full expansion arena:
- It's the most basic experience, that a lot of people enjoy competitively.
- There are two, almost exclusive to each other, playerbases, that formed naturally; It does make sense, to have something for both (at the same time)

Hope you guys can help me with that... :D

-----------------------------***************************-----------------------------
Edit: Vote for this suggestion please! : https://boardgamearena.com/bug?id=54479 <<< without the votes here this discussion might stay irrelevant
-----------------------------***************************-----------------------------
Last edited by frankenStain on 08 December 2021, 13:43, edited 2 times in total.
frankenStain

Re: 7WD Arena vanilla vs all expansions

Post by frankenStain »

is there a way to make multiple polls here - would also like to know "which arena versions should exist, from an objective point, as far one can tell"; and "which arena versions would one like to play personally" ...

Edit: scratch that - after the poll manipulation here... :P
Last edited by frankenStain on 09 December 2021, 08:14, edited 1 time in total.
dron1

Post by dron1 »

I am for four options for the arena at the same time - basic, agora, pantheon and agora + pantheon or arena with a choice of add-ons. And it would also be possible to introduce the "Absolute Champion" award for victory in the arena and the first place in the rating. Introduce 4 separate ratings accordingly. Given the popularity of the game, I think this option will more accurately reflect the ratings of the players.
SebiCools

Post by SebiCools »

I totally agree, 7WD full expansion should have its own Arena

For me, best option is 2 separate Arena, one with Vanilla and one with Full expansion.

And yes it's not the same game At all.

I would love to have a little tournament at the end of the season with 8 players TOP 4 vanilla + TOP 4 full expansion and the winner will be "The one" :D

Is there any game with seperate arenas on this site?
Yann4400

Post by Yann4400 »

Hello,
I totally agre with 2 separate Arena (one vanilla et one full exepnsion)
I created a repport on that based on waht Franken wrote, vote for it : https://boardgamearena.com/bug?id=54479

Yann
Romain672

Post by Romain672 »

What if next expansion of '7WD' was great for new players, but bad balanced?

I feel like you would instead want:
- 7WD vanilla
- 7WD with mostly all expansions. And sometimes one or two expansion off.
frankenStain

Post by frankenStain »

Romain672 wrote: 06 December 2021, 11:36 What if next expansion of '7WD' was great for new players, but bad balanced?

I feel like you would instead want:
- 7WD vanilla
- 7WD with mostly all expansions. And sometimes one or two expansion off.
i was talking about the state now - if there are more expansions for 7WD, that would be a problem for another day.

[just stating opinion, based on my experience]
about balance: as it is now i would say 7WD Agora+Pantheon is insanely good balanced
Agora had the problem, that the wonder "Curia Julia" was way too op - even more so than artemis in the base game
the base game has the porblem that the starting player has quite an advantage (possible ways to fix that would be extra 2 coins for 2nd player.. or 2 other clever ways that need to be tested (other forum post...))
[ironicly enough this isnt a problem in 7WD Agora+Pantheon, since most of the time there is a counter play]
frankenStain

Post by frankenStain »

One more thing - some voted: "Multiple versions of the game should be playable in Arena, but it should be alternating by season. [also argue why, please]" - can anyone make an argument for this pls (?) (besides that it would be the easiest to get for now - and its better then not having expansions in arena at all)
Romain672

Post by Romain672 »

frankenStain wrote: 07 December 2021, 07:00 some voted: "Multiple versions of the game should be playable in Arena, but it should be alternating by season. [also argue why, please]" - can anyone make an argument for this pls (?)
Again, I don't play much 7W, but diversity is good accross seasons.
frankenStain wrote: 07 December 2021, 04:27i was talking about the state now - if there are more expansions for 7WD, that would be a problem for another day.
If we can try to find a solution which can be good for now, for futures 7W expansions, and for others games, that's great.
Actually, it look like 'all expansions' are great, so you would want to only play with those. But if my hypothesis instead give some mixed feeling, you could have players would want to 'keep things like it is now', and players who 'wanna add all expansions', then that look very bad ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Status_quo_bias ).

And never forget that adding more files for the arena will multiply by 2(+) the waiting time (since waiting time is longer, you lose a part of the arena's players).
If it was 5seconds, that became 10+seconds. If it was 5minutes, that became 10+minutes.
frankenStain

Post by frankenStain »

Romain672 wrote: 07 December 2021, 12:08 Again, I don't play much 7W[D], but diversity is good across seasons.

If we can try to find a solution which can be good for now, for futures 7W[D] expansions, and for others games, that's great.
Actually, it look like 'all expansions' are great, so you would want to only play with those. But if my hypothesis instead give some mixed feeling, you could have players would want to 'keep things like it is now', and players who 'wanna add all expansions', then that look very bad ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Status_quo_bias ).

And never forget that adding more files for the arena will multiply by 2(+) the waiting time (since waiting time is longer, you lose a part of the arena's players).
If it was 5seconds, that became 10+seconds. If it was 5minutes, that became 10+minutes.
thx for the answer ! :)

seem to be valid points.
about the first point - this might be right, diversity between seasons sounds like fun.
but also its quite frustrating to have a highly balanced game, that would be greatly suited for competitive play, that is (actually "would be" at this point) only available for competitive play every 3-6 months, for 3 months. But I see now that parallel versions isn't objectively better, in this game, then a sequence of variants, just my preference based on the things above.

about your 2nd point: that were the practical reasons why i would suggest 2 different arenas instead of 3 or 4 (not fracturing the playerbase futher -> shorter waiting times+more competition). you couldnt say how good/different/compatible future expansions will be/would be, if there are even any in the future - so this suggestion is based on what we have now. That's also why it's posted for this game, and not in general for all games. Because here I do know what I'm talking about ^^

Return to “7 Wonders Duel”