A hint. Better Marshall and faster gameplay

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/#!bugs
federspiel30

A hint. Better Marshall and faster gameplay

Post by federspiel30 »

Hi,

By only the following 3 adjustments, we gained a much better Love Letter gameplay:

1. We use all cards of the expansion/big box also in a 3 and 4 player game.

2. For 4 to 8 players: When finally only 2 players are left, they compare their cards, just like when the deck is exhausted. The higher number wins. This makes a faster game, with less waiting time for the earlier eliminated players for the next round. The extra point you get when you played the Count, counts.

3. The Marshall is overpowered in the game and gains a heart for nothing but being eliminated. Therefore, in our games he only gains a heart, when the player is among the final two players (or more final players when the deck ran out) and is not the winner. This Leads to a funny hunt for the Marshall player.

These three rules made a very good game even more fun for us.
bionic20

Re: A hint. Better Marshall and faster gameplay

Post by bionic20 »

BGA cannot change the rules of any game. Pursuant to the license they have to stick with official rules made by the publisher. No house rules sorry

Also, whats the Marshall? :P
federspiel30

Re: A hint. Better Marshal and faster gameplay

Post by federspiel30 »

This is clear. The hint is for those who have a physical copy of the game. I hope this is appreciated.

As explained the Marshal is the card that gains a heart when the player is eliminated in a round.
It is maybe called differently in different languages. 😊
voriki

Post by voriki »

Ah, The Constable(6), that is what you call the Marshall.

While it is a great card and seems overpowered(okay, it is), but it also needs to be played right. if the group is tactical, it will not be an easy round.
bionic20

Post by bionic20 »

voriki wrote: 07 December 2021, 10:15 Ah, The Constable(6), that is what you call the Marshall.

While it is a great card and seems overpowered(okay, it is), but it also needs to be played right. if the group is tactical, it will not be an easy round.
Some of my favourite games are when everyone is active in the chat and knows the basics, a 3-hearts leader plays a constable first hand and everybody have to scramble to coordinate how to not kill them. That's true teamwork :lol:
voriki

Post by voriki »

bionic20 wrote: 07 December 2021, 11:41 Some of my favourite games are when everyone is active in the chat and knows the basics, a 3-hearts leader plays a constable first hand and everybody have to scramble to coordinate how to not kill them. That's true teamwork :lol:
Or when a player with few Favors(hearts) is being Jestered by a player who has their 3 Favors already, and that player realizes he must lose on purpose.
federspiel30

Post by federspiel30 »

Yes I see, that can be funny 8-)

We are a strategic round and we see the cards as set but the rules are not set.
The game is good but not the most entertaining to be honest.
BUT: We are on the way to reduce the random as well and bring in some strategy, as far as possible.
I personally would love to have possibilities to defend when being attacked.
I mean more Assassins or other ways to avoid being eliminated.
voriki

Post by voriki »

federspiel30 wrote: 09 December 2021, 20:47 BUT: We are on the way to reduce the random as well and bring in some strategy, as far as possible.
I personally would love to have possibilities to defend when being attacked.
I mean more Assassins or other ways to avoid being eliminated.
Get 2 or 3 sets of the game, and give each player 2 or 3 hit points?

Or it's been a while since I played Coup, didn't it also have a similar thing that you had 2 cards in your hand, and when you lost 1 thing, you only had 1 left? You could make some houserules based on it.

But ofcourse, on BGA we only want the original rules.

To be honest, I one day want to try it by combining my physical set of Love Letter Premium with Lovecraft Letter, but am unable to find opaque(non-transparent) sleeves in tarot card size so that you can't recognize the cards from the back. And ofcourse Inwould need more players irl. I wish Lovecraft letter would get an adaption someday.
federspiel30

Post by federspiel30 »

What does hit points mean in this case?
voriki

Post by voriki »

federspiel30 wrote: 11 December 2021, 22:48 What does hit points mean in this case?
To get someone out of the round, he has to lose 2 times(Guard, Baron, discard a Princess, Dowager Queen). If he is hit the first time, they discard the card and redraw, and lose 1 hit point.

When the bigger deck runs out, and it is time to compare cards, those who lose a hit point face a 2-value decrease in the face-off.

For example, player A has a King but lost 1 HP, Player B has a prince. The Prince wins because the King is reduce to value of 4.

Return to “Love Letter”