Can someone give a run-down of what all the game options do?

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/#!bugs
Papa Boris

Can someone give a run-down of what all the game options do?

Post by Papa Boris »

I played with a few friends for the first time last night and we loved it. What a great implementation!

When setting up the game, I was surprised and a little confused by all of the options. It was a lot more than for most of the games I've played on here! Is there a page somewhere that explains what they all mean? I kind of guessed some of them—like the "mini expansion," I think, adds some extra town tiles to the game—but others, like the "VP per faction," were alien to me. If anyone can give me a rundown (or point me to a resource I missed), I would be most grateful!
ejayAD

Re: Can someone give a run-down of what all the game options do?

Post by ejayAD »

I don't know if there is an explanation anywhere. So errrr short version....

Game board: Select from a variety of boards, or choose 'Random' to have chosen for you. 'Base Map' is generally preferred to 'Revised Base Map'

Faction board:
Whether factions are randomly assigned, picked by each player or bidded for via auction. 'Faction selected in player order' is good standard option. Consider using auction when more experienced with the game.

Starting VP: Factions either start on equal victory points or an adjusted level to re-balance factions. 'Adjusted by Faction' generally more balanced. Not used if Auction is selected.

Turn Order: How player order is determined for the next round after players pass out each round. 'Variable' is a superior system, should be used.

Mini-expansions: Adds extra town tiles, scoring tile and bonus tile. 'On' is recommended, they add to the game without increased complexity. Used ubiquitously by experience dplayers.

Landscapes: Each faction has a different landscape with a unique special power that can be placed, when terraforming, instead of building a dwelling. There is divided opinion on whether people enjoy these. The rules are somewhat complex and difficult to interpret.

Fire and Ice - Final Scoring tiles: Adds an extra scoring condition in addition to network scoring for some variety to the end-game. Was part of the Fire & Ice expansion set

Fire and Ice - Factions: Currently in beta on BGA. Volcano, Ice and Variable factions change the colour wheel rules. Probably most different expansion that can be added. Add some complexity and mix up the game, can be disruptive in comparison to the base game.
Last edited by ejayAD on 13 December 2021, 12:29, edited 1 time in total.
ejayAD

Post by ejayAD »

And long version!!

Game Board
Terra Mystica has different maps.
'Base Game' is the original and arguably the competitve standard. Interestingly 'Revised Base Game' is named as if it somehow replaces Base map as a v2 but in the Terra community this is generally not viewed as the case and Base Map is preferred.
'Fjords', 'Fire & Ice','Lakes' are all well-loved maps that add variety without overly affecting play. 'Random' picks randomly between the other maps - it doesn't randomise hexes or anything.
Recommended beginner setting: Base Game
High-level competitve play uses: Base Game, Fjords, Fire & Ice, Lakes

Faction board:
'Faction selected in player order' is the standard from the rule book and players make a free choice of faction in player order (although players may not pick the same colour faction). The player order is part of a complicated snake draft order for initial dwelling placement, intial bonus tile selection, and action order in round 1.
'Random faction selection' assigns everyone a random colour and they can pick either faction from that colour. Simple but means some strange/unbalanced colour assignments on the terraforming colour wheel can arise
'Factions selected by auction' lets each player choose one faction to be available in the game, and then all players freely bid victory points for any faction based on their perceived strength in the set up. For experienced players this is arguably the fairest selection process, but it assumes a level of knowledge of the inherent strengths of each faction, so is suggested to introduce only for experienced players
Recommended beginner setting: Faction selected in player order
High-level competitve play uses: Factions selected by auction

Starting VP:
'Standard' starts everyone on the same beginning victory points. 20 I think? Absolute number not important
'Adjusted by Faction' gives each faction more or less starting VP based on their strength (from empirical data). For example Darklings are regarded as generally strong, so start on fewer VP; Fakirs are generally weak, so start higher.
Starting VP is not an option if auction is selected - the auction determines starting VP!
Recommended beginner setting: Adjusted by Faction
High-level/ competitve play uses: N/A - Auction used

Turn order:
'Clockwise from the first player' was standard in the original rules. When one player passes out of the round, they become the start player for the next round. In the next round the play then proceeds clockwise around the table from the start player.
'Variable' was later introduced as an improvement and is a superior system. The first player to pass is the start player as before, but then the second player to pass becomes the second player to act in the next round, and so on. In real life play this involves some complexity in remembering correct player order but virtually it is trivial.
Recommended beginner setting: Variable
High-level/ competitve play uses: Variable

Mini-expansions:
The mini-expansion added:
- Extra, different town tiles
- A temple scoring round scoring tile, with rewards for number of priests sent to cults
- A ship level victory point reward pass tile
These do not overly add to the complexity of the game, are unanimously regarded as improvements so are recommended to turn 'On'
Recommended beginner setting: On
High-level/ competitve play uses: On

Landscapes expansion:
These add a different 'landscape' tile for each faction. When digging a hex they may be placed instead of a dwelling and confer a variety of (sometimes complex) bonuses, different for each faction. They party aim to balance the factions - for example Fakirs landscape is very strong, Darklings less strong. Some people love them, some people dislike them, some are indifferent. For a beginner I would recommend starting without them due to the added complexity and experimenting with them as you progress
Recommended beginner setting: Off
High-level/ competive play uses: On or Off depending on preference

Rules for mini-expansions and landscapes: https://images.zmangames.com/filer_publ ... -rules.pdf

Fire and Ice - Final Scoring tiles
At the end of the game 18, 12, 6 points are awarded for network. Fire and Ice expansion added an extra scoring condition for 18, 12, 6. It is randomly picked out of four options and emphasise things like greatest distance between connected dwellings, or building on the edge of the mpa. They add an interesting option and variability without too much complexity once you are familiar with the base game. This variability is probably not required for the beginner player, though.

Fire and Ice - Factions
Adds six extra factions, two each of Volcano, Ice and Variable factions. They ignore or change the colour wheel rules in interesting ways. They are generally more complex than the base factions but add fun variety. Experiment with them once familiar with the base factions. Some experienced players love them, some feel they can be too disruptive to the balance of Terra Mystica. These are currently still in beta mode!

Fire & Ice expansion rulebook: https://cdn.1j1ju.com/medias/cd/e5/c5-t ... lebook.pdf
Last edited by ejayAD on 13 December 2021, 22:27, edited 2 times in total.
Papa Boris

Post by Papa Boris »

That was RIDICULOUSLY helpful! Thank you so much for taking the time to write this up — needless to say it was exactly what I was looking for. :)
ejayAD

Post by ejayAD »

Most welcome :)
ejayAD

Post by ejayAD »

Have added the write-up in document form to the TM 'How to Play' section :)

https://boardgamearena.com/gamepanel?ga ... ay_seemore
gwaedin

Post by gwaedin »

Hi,
just a quick question: what does "Random" option for F&I do?
1 -I've been assuming that with "On" and random faction selection, F&I factions are among those which can be randomly assigned to a player.
In that case, I would say that "Random" means that the game randomly selects whether F&I factions are available or not.
2- However, another possibility is that "Random" means the thing I previously said for "On", and "On" means that ALL the F&I factions are included by default with a other base factions at random to fill the player count.
Does anybody know if it is 1 or 2?
Many thanks in advance
P.S: I know that Random factions option is not so good for competitive gaming, but with don't play that much Terra Mystica with my friends therefore it is OK for us - actually bidding with a few players who know the game quite well and a few others who do not could be even worse than random assignment with map-balanced VPs
filgalaxy999

Post by filgalaxy999 »

I wanted to add that there is also an option to play on custom maps, here is a list:
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/294325 ... ps-summary
And then there's the option to add another 20 (or 16 if you disable Fire & Ice) beautiful factions created by fans and approved after a long and careful selection.
https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/2380 ... es-updated

Return to “Terra Mystica”