'aggressive behaviour'

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/#!bugs
GeraldineMerida

Re: 'aggressive behaviour'

Post by GeraldineMerida »

Remember that your mistake costs other people ELO in most cases, so telling them not to panic is likely to annoy a lot of other players in that situation.

(Of course, actual moderatable rudeness in game chat is different from something like '?' in response to perceived poor play, and is not acceptable.)

Maybe just play training mode or with people you know IRL if you want to have a more relaxed experience where mistakes won't matter so much? Or create a 'Don't panic' Hanabi group to find like-minded players.
Stroom

Post by Stroom »

Elo is a pointless metric for coop games. This should not be a factor. You can see so many players game history full of abandoned games. Elo is supposed to show the average skill level, not be a number that always has to increase. So, it will keep going up and down at the level where you actual skill level is.

Also, constantly making bad moves and not trying to learn from them or improve is also bad. At some point you just get frustrated that the player keeps making the same mistakes over and over again. You can point them out after the player makes these mistakes but if they still don't learn... what are you supposed to do? Block him from entering your games?
Travis Hall

Post by Travis Hall »

Stroom wrote: 19 June 2022, 07:06You can point them out after the player makes these mistakes but if they still don't learn... what are you supposed to do? Block him from entering your games?
Well, yes. It’s what I do. Just give a red thumb, and you’ll never have to play with that person again.

You get unlimited red thumbs, as long as you use the “this is just my personal opinion” button instead of making it a public thing. If players refuse to learn and improve their play, I red thumb. Especially when I take the time to properly explain why we play the way we do, and they are rude about having their error discussed.
Kaladry

Post by Kaladry »

I have found a multitude of Hanabi players are quite aggressive in the chat. It’s made me not want to play on BGA anymore because of it. I learned the game in person before the pandemic and played with friends a lot on here while one of them had premium during the pandemic but I can’t play with other people here. Our friend group developed our own method of giving clues that differs from the apparent BGA assumed method and they don’t mesh (and we get near perfect in nearly every game). I get yelled at for playing cards I would have been clued to play in our method but apparently wasn’t supposed to play yet here. Hanabi by far has the most aggressive players on any BGA game I’ve played. Funny when it’s supposed to be cooperative.
Vandaley

Post by Vandaley »

Kaladry wrote: 02 September 2022, 22:56 I have found a multitude of Hanabi players are quite aggressive in the chat. It’s made me not want to play on BGA anymore because of it. I learned the game in person before the pandemic and played with friends a lot on here while one of them had premium during the pandemic but I can’t play with other people here. Our friend group developed our own method of giving clues that differs from the apparent BGA assumed method and they don’t mesh (and we get near perfect in nearly every game). I get yelled at for playing cards I would have been clued to play in our method but apparently wasn’t supposed to play yet here. Hanabi by far has the most aggressive players on any BGA game I’ve played. Funny when it’s supposed to be cooperative.
What are some examples of the differences?
Kaladry

Post by Kaladry »

Vandaley wrote: 03 September 2022, 00:08
Kaladry wrote: 02 September 2022, 22:56 I have found a multitude of Hanabi players are quite aggressive in the chat. It’s made me not want to play on BGA anymore because of it. I learned the game in person before the pandemic and played with friends a lot on here while one of them had premium during the pandemic but I can’t play with other people here. Our friend group developed our own method of giving clues that differs from the apparent BGA assumed method and they don’t mesh (and we get near perfect in nearly every game). I get yelled at for playing cards I would have been clued to play in our method but apparently wasn’t supposed to play yet here. Hanabi by far has the most aggressive players on any BGA game I’ve played. Funny when it’s supposed to be cooperative.
What are some examples of the differences?
We use the color clue as a means of saying what to save and number clues for what to play, since obviously you can always tell if that number isn’t currently playable at all and must otherwise be saved, which then you can usually guess by the discard pile which color(s) it could be. From playing here I’ve learned most people play the opposite which sometimes is hard to wrap my mind around and I make a mistake and then there’s weird other rules I don’t get and don’t care to learn because it’ll mess up how I play with my real life friends. But any mistake I make I get yelled at so I’ve stopped playing much here unless it’s a basic game with just the opposite rules.
Earthboundia

Post by Earthboundia »

I've been trying to play this game with public lobbies, but this game in particular is really bad for players being aggressive and toxic. As well as getting berated for not using their particular finesse, players will often collectively abandon the game deliberately as to avoid losing ELO rather than finish a game. The lobbies give me a very much esports game vibe which I really don't like.

My advice to new players is either learn all the various versions of finesse before even playing, or just play with your friends (which is what I'll do from now on). Because honestly Hanabi is a great game but I won't play public lobby again.
Travis Hall

Post by Travis Hall »

Earthboundia wrote: 07 September 2022, 01:54My advice to new players is either learn all the various versions of finesse before even playing,
That’s over the top, and I believe an exaggeration of what is really going on.

I’ve got a ridiculously high rating now, but I started at 0 just like everybody else, and I learnt as I played. I certainly got complaints when I made mistakes (which I did a fair bit). However, fairly consistently the mistakes and the attendant complaints came when I was playing in games above my level.

So I avoided playing too much above my level. As an average player, I joined in games where other players were no more than good. When I was ranked good, I joined with strong players. (And I don’t mean one point over the rank minimum; I mean getting high enough to keep the rating despite typical fluctuations.) And so on up the ranks. That meant I had opportunities to learn from those above me, but I was also rarely asked to understand a difficult technique before I was ready for it.

And you can do things like start training games to explore higher concepts with your peers. Put what you are trying to learn in the description, so you can learn together.

You don’t need to know all the types of finesse to play at Strong rank. In fact, I’ve often said that Expert just means you know finesse and saves, and are learning bluff. Master means you know bluff, and are ready to learn trash bluff.

If you’re not prepared to learn to play well, of course you’re going to annoy people. And no, knowing how to play with your private group doesn’t count. You need to know how to play with the group you intend to play with. This is especially so if you’re claiming a rating well above your actual skill in the play environment. (Kaladry, we can see that you’ve worked up to Expert, and then suddenly plateaued and more recently dropped below expert again. I’d guess that sudden plateau starts when your private group stopped playing here.) That rank is the only thing we have to set our expectation for how you will perform in a game, and if you can’t match it with your play, it’s going to cause conflict.

Now, all that said, there is definitely a toxic element in the community. I have red-thumbed a lot of players, which basically proves that as far as I’m concerned. I don’t just red-thumb people who get nasty with me; I have red-thumbed players for toxic behaviour toward anyone. (Also for repeatedly demonstrating that they have no interest in improving their play; so, both sides of the coin there.) My experience is certainly more pleasant as a result, but I think also the experience of those who play with me.

So the bad element is there, but also should not be exaggerated.
Earthboundia

Post by Earthboundia »

Travis Hall wrote: 08 September 2022, 03:44
Earthboundia wrote: 07 September 2022, 01:54My advice to new players is either learn all the various versions of finesse before even playing,
That’s over the top, and I believe an exaggeration of what is really going on.

So the bad element is there, but also should not be exaggerated.
You've taken the time to give a full reply which I can respect so it's only fair I reply to that too. In regards to the ranking stuff, from anecdotes and personal experience Hanabi is a game with a very large portion of players playing public having high ELO (400+) so the idea of playing with players around my rank is extremely difficult in a practical scenario. BGA preferences give 7 different types of finesse options and it really wouldn't make a difference what I selected for the reasons previously mentioned. So sure I may have hyperbolised the comment a little but I think the general point still stands.

While I understand the appeal of "hardcore" Hanabi, it's a next to impossible game to play on just a casual level in public lobbies. And I will admit that this is an issue in a lot of coop games which are well established. But that is probably BGA could do rather than ELO instead have a casual and hardcore mode for separate players.

Also you haven't addressed the point of people deliberately quitting to maintain ELO. Something that should scream volumes about the players that will just quit rather than lose a few ELO literally after 1 bad discard even if they are the one to do it.
Romain672

Post by Romain672 »

Earthboundia wrote: 08 September 2022, 19:32While I understand the appeal of "hardcore" Hanabi, it's a next to impossible game to play on just a casual level in public lobbies. And I will admit that this is an issue in a lot of coop games which are well established. But that is probably BGA could do rather than ELO instead have a casual and hardcore mode for separate players.
What should they do?

The problem is that hardcore players plays more. To find casuals players, you will need to wait maybe 20/30min per player outside of 'night time' like you can have in the less popular coops games. Or to create yourself a group, and find people to join the group, but it will be hard since the audience you are targetting are in average less present on bga and play less.

One way to do it, is to put the game is training mode to make people from the automatic lobby not join your games ; and add a description to the table to tell how you plan to play.

And as bonus: which setting for convention you would want? How should it be named?

Return to “Hanabi”