Top right zone update

What's new on BGA ?
procrastinatron

Re: Top right zone update

Post by procrastinatron »

Thanks for adding click-outside-panel-to-close. It is much less confusing than having to clicking avatar to collapse the panel.

A note that this works everywhere except in forums. In https://boardgamearena.com/forum and any subpages, the side panel still only closes when the avatar is clicked. I assume the forum has slightly different code structure and also needs to updated? Cheers
Silene

Post by Silene »

procrastinatron wrote: 22 December 2021, 04:31 Thanks for adding click-outside-panel-to-close. It is much less confusing than having to clicking avatar to collapse the panel.

A note that this works everywhere except in forums. In https://boardgamearena.com/forum and any subpages, the side panel still only closes when the avatar is clicked. I assume the forum has slightly different code structure and also needs to updated? Cheers
For me the panel closes when i click the top row (and that works also in forum). But not if i click outside on any free space (like wooden background). But I think it would be desirable to have it close on click anywhere and not just top row or links.

And return functionality to clicking the avatar into visiting profile. Preferrably put Avatar a bit to the right so it's in the same place my mouse was when i opened the menu which means clicking twice there leads me to my profile page. I think going to profile is a widely-used function and should be made a bit easier than clicking the small text.
Hosting Allround-League: https://boardgamearena.com/group?id=7870115 --> a league where you have matches of random games vs. other players in your group - season 6 started in Nov. '23 with 128 participants.
Cullich

Post by Cullich »

Just an update for how things are now:
  • I don't honestly see the improvement of the red number on the orange blob. It's more obvious that it's there (but I didn't think it was unobvious before), but I don't see that it's easier to read. However, I'm not really looking to read it. I just want to get to my open-games list where I can simply see what games I have going and which have a turn. So I agree with those who wish this would go directly to that list rather than the extra step of opening the side panel.
  • As to the new pulsating red notification thing.. first, when I was looking away from my avatar I did not notice it at all. I always noticed the explanation point. But, when my eyes were more up in that quarter of the screen, it became annoying and too obvious. The explanation point works, and I never see a reason to change things that work unless there's a real improvement in them. Pulsating a red circle is not really any improvement. (Or at least I don't see what that improvement is.)
  • Someone mentioned that the "final situation" was no longer available. I did not notice this as I was coming back from out of town when one game ended and was not on here for a couple of days, and am not really sure what exactly happened. (Of course I couldn't see the replay of the final turn any longer.) But if that's true, that's not good. I'll have to wait til my next game finishes.
  • Someone had the idea that maybe the green online button could give us the option to turn invisible or something else, which is a nice idea. I clicked on it to see what it did, and it just opened the side panel like everything is doing. :!: There was a down arrow by the green dot inside the side panel so I ventured there, but that was a logout button, and a darn odd place for one. I would expect to be able to click on my avatar to get a logout button. (I almost never log out, but if I wanted to, I'd have to spend time trying to find that.)
  • My side panel only closes by either clicking on the avatar again, or the top white strip. Clicking anywhere else does not work. (Firefox)
thoun

Post by thoun »

Small "bug" I found about the new table icon :
If you play a game with elimination like King of Tokyo, and you get eliminated but table is still open, you still have icon showing the real-time game, and it makes it harder to see that you have some turn-based games to play.
Cullich

Post by Cullich »

Just wanted to add a note that making other requests for things not related to this new avatar area/side panel is probably not that useful, and would likely be better put in another thread.
Respublik

Post by Respublik »

Sidebar not being coded for a long press mixed with overlaping location is somewhat more serious as you can also do unwanted actions through it, like launching an arena table on a mobile, not only the GMs.

Also, after the latest update, I'm somewhat abnormally encoutering a new bug where the entire avatar fully dissapears when viewing from the main games lobby's page.
Respublik wrote: 16 December 2021, 16:35 What a great update, but please move the view all current tables button to the top, because using it on a mobile launches General messages instead due to the location overlapping.
calzoneous

Post by calzoneous »

I'm used to the update now, I think it's fine. I retract my previous complaints.
Lucy Grey

Post by Lucy Grey »

Respublik wrote: 23 December 2021, 00:37 Sidebar not being coded for a long press mixed with overlaping location is somewhat more serious as you can also do unwanted actions through it, like launching an arena table on a mobile, not only the GMs.

Also, after the latest update, I'm somewhat abnormally encoutering a new bug where the entire avatar fully dissapears when viewing from the main games lobby's page.
Respublik wrote: 16 December 2021, 16:35 What a great update, but please move the view all current tables button to the top, because using it on a mobile launches General messages instead due to the location overlapping.

I’m experiencing this as well. My avatar disappears. My friends status doesn’t update and I have to do at least one refresh to get my friends list correct, oftentimes it’s 2-3 refreshes.
RicardoRix

Post by RicardoRix »

A couple of times now, I am on a different browser tab, and had seen the 'rotating triangles' in the tab title from BGA telling me a turn was ready for me. But I click on the tab and the yellow icon does not have any number waiting, I click anyway and it opens up the avatar profile - not what I want, I wanted to go to the game pending. Hit F5 and yellow icon shows 1 game.
So the yellow icon does not update as well as the tab title.
pjt33

Post by pjt33 »

procrastinatron wrote: 22 December 2021, 04:31 A note that this works everywhere except in forums. In https://boardgamearena.com/forum and any subpages, the side panel still only closes when the avatar is clicked. I assume the forum has slightly different code structure and also needs to updated? Cheers
The forum is an ugly hack with bigger problems than that, but it would probably take an awful lot to rearchitect it, especially without losing all the user content.

Return to “BGA release notes”