Top right zone update

What's new on BGA ?
el cosimo

Re: Top right zone update

Post by el cosimo »

pjt33 wrote: 24 December 2021, 19:57
procrastinatron wrote: 22 December 2021, 04:31 A note that this works everywhere except in forums. In https://boardgamearena.com/forum and any subpages, the side panel still only closes when the avatar is clicked. I assume the forum has slightly different code structure and also needs to updated? Cheers
The forum is an ugly hack with bigger problems than that, but it would probably take an awful lot to rearchitect it, especially without losing all the user content.
Because it is an external standard template thing that is integrated into the site, so didnt match full
Frosti_Austi

Post by Frosti_Austi »

Cannot directly chat with a friend from the friend icon list if they are online and in a game. I have to to click their name, which takes me to their profile page and then click message from their profile page. Yet I can directly chat with an offline friend friend list? Doesn't make sense at all.
yoyote

Post by yoyote »

You can chat directly if your friend is online but is not playing
Wreckage

Post by Wreckage »

There are still a couple of bugs with the friend's list:

Many times, if a friend has logged off in the last few minutes, it shows them as being logged off many hours ago.
Also, whether they are in a game or not doesn't update in live time. You must refresh your browser to see if they are in a game.
alephander

Post by alephander »

It's been a couple weeks and I've waited to not give a quick rush-to-judgment ("Change sucks!").
I realize its still a work-in-progress (like all software) and hope you're open to some feedback.
Up to now, I'm finding the new UI worse than the old. Here are some specifics.

* the Table icon is the element I use most, to navigate to next table where I'm on turn.
* this icon sometimes disappears when there are no tables-on-turn, even as the page title is flashing that i'm on turn (so the js is still actively polling)
* (clicking in the empty space where the icon should be still works... but it's an annoying challenge)
* the Table icon apparently has a secondary function to open player panel when there are no tables on turn. This is bad UI. there's already an element for that. It's particularly bad because there's a cached state which is sometimes wrong, so it opens the player panel _even when_ I have tables on turn. (Edit: When you have no games-on-turn, this element used to take you to the list of tables on a page (https://boardgamearena.com/gameinprogress) -- that is a much better result.)
* the player panel _covers_ the quick navigation icons (bad UI), including (most egregious) the icon used to open it. People will want to close that thing, and you just made them frustratingly guess, since you covered the thing that opened it.
* combining the two, you get the frustrating interaction: 1) click to go to a table-on-turn (player panel opens) 2) move mouse, click on non-target in navigation bar 3) refresh page 4) move mouse BACK to table icon and try again. (this has happened to me multiple times)

I have other complaints, but the above covers the majority of my frustration/disappointment with the new UI. Appreciate your reading my feedback, and looking forward to continued improvement! Thanks...
Respublik

Post by Respublik »

Some additional thoughts:
Bug - just the nickname part getting hidden instead of the sidebar - have gotten way more frequent and now is happening on same frequency as on the launch day. Auto-closer generally stops working when the bug happens.
Edit: Actually it doesn't turn off, but simply hides only the nickname part - same as pressing the button during a bug.

Visual seperation between turn-based arena games and non-arena games would be helpful as it was in the old folder. Could be shown in different color background.
Fantomat

Post by Fantomat »

I'm having a lot of troubles since the change was made in December. I'm on MacOS and i'm using Safari as my main browser. I do not have access to the new features. I do not have either of the top right buttons displayed (my icon, friend and table buttons). I also don't have any informations wether its my turn to play or not on my games. The bga logo displayed for loading is never disappearing.
Bga website top right bug.jpg
Bga website top right bug.jpg (100.06 KiB) Viewed 3518 times
When I go to studio.bga I have no problems at all . Do anyone faces this problem as well ? Any idea/suggestions on what is happening ? Do the studio and main site version are the same ? I tried clearing my cache several times, logging again and private mode. I don't want to open a bug report yet as it could come from my side.
thoun

Post by thoun »

Do you have an error in the dev tool, if they exists on safari?
Did you try with another browser, to confirm it's a safari issue?
I think it could help Bga dev fix it
RicardoRix

Post by RicardoRix »

Fantomat wrote: 04 January 2022, 12:04 I also don't have any informations wether its my turn to play or not on my games.
To get to your games, try using this link in the meantime.
https://boardgamearena.com/gameinprogress
Fantomat

Post by Fantomat »

RicardoRix wrote: 04 January 2022, 12:43
Fantomat wrote: 04 January 2022, 12:04 I also don't have any informations wether its my turn to play or not on my games.
To get to your games, try using this link in the meantime.
https://boardgamearena.com/gameinprogress
The screenshot on my previous post is taken from https://boardgamearena.com/gameinprogress. All my games are listed here but not the hourglass indicating which player needs to play. So right now I click on the first table at random times (or when I get an email that it's my turn to play).
thoun wrote: 04 January 2022, 12:26 Do you have an error in the dev tool, if they exists on safari?
Did you try with another browser, to confirm it's a safari issue?
I think it could help Bga dev fix it
On my IOS safari I have no problem, on my computer I have no issues when using Chrome. On the same browser but on the studio version of bga all is fine too.

After looking at the logs, we can see that the js variable "gaming_session" is undefined. It's the only logged error here see this screenshot : https://imgur.com/DxcKlYb

But it's not causing the bug I think because when I go to studio, I have the same "gaming_session" undefined but no bugs as you can see here : https://i.imgur.com/HHHNpYA.png

However on the main page I have more errors logged :

EDIT : We can see in the HTML code that the DIV containing the top right menu is abnormally empty in my case. Image

Return to “BGA release notes”