The game is too random

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/bugs
Sovekalshchik

Re: The game is too random

Post by Sovekalshchik »

The more you play the game the more you see a room to control the randomness.
But I wouldn't disagree that in some combinations experienced player can lose to the guy drawing hidden cards from the central deck.
Silene

Post by Silene »

Yes, it's very random. If you don't like that - the fix is easy: play a different game :)
Hosting Allround-League: https://boardgamearena.com/group?id=7870115 --> a league where you have matches of random games vs. other players in your group - season 6 started in Nov. '23 with 128 participants.
BenQua

Post by BenQua »

If it was 100% random, I would not win 75% of my 1v1 games ... and for people in the top 50, this % is even higher. Yes, the game is mega random compared to other games, but the small amount of decisions you make matter even more. I like to play a 1V1 game when I have 5 minutes because I like the science tokens strategy :D but I agree it's a game for beginners and randomness can mess up your game. But to be honest I've played heavy games (both in complexity and in lenght) that have some coin flip mechanics that can destroy a game. If you look at Great Western Trail, your starting hand is so important that a lot of very good player quit games just because they know they can't win the game with their starting hand :)
Tarnax

Post by Tarnax »

That’s just the game and how it’s played. I personally like it and find it enjoyable and just enough challenging to play so that it offers a good moment. You can still impact the game looking at what your direct left and right opponents are doing or aiming for and try to block them. But for 2 players nothing beats “Duel” in the 7 wonders series !
Jeff Hammer

Post by Jeff Hammer »

nccc wrote: 27 December 2021, 06:46 A random and unfair game,which dont even have SAME rounds for every player. Won't play it again.
I don’t follow. Same rounds?
bananasplay

Post by bananasplay »

Jeff Hammer wrote: 07 July 2023, 19:10
nccc wrote: 27 December 2021, 06:46 A random and unfair game,which dont even have SAME rounds for every player. Won't play it again.
I don’t follow. Same rounds?
I suspect the player meant to say "(doesn't have) an equal number of rounds". *shrug*
Please check my profile for a list of bugs that need upvotes so that BGA will maybe get around to fixing them.
troopa

Post by troopa »

While I enjoyed the game a lot because it's quick, I understand what OP means. TRULY, I dislike when games do not respect fair chances. Meaning we have the current problematic situation:

- The first player played one more round than others if he completes the wonder. This means also if more than 2 players, some will have one less than many.
-There is no compensation for that.
-Worse of it all : after playing a bunch of games I had to go through the rules to realise in case of identical finishing score, it was NOT who played last that ended up winning, but the person completing the wonder first.

I have some ideas to make things a little more even :

-The last player would get the cat totem.
OR
-The last player would win if equal score.
OR
-We play it as a round base and the ending turn makes it even.(First to complete would win if equal score or gets 1 extra VP)

Return to “7 Wonders Architects”