Finite number of stones?

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/#!bugs
slimy_asparagus

Finite number of stones?

Post by slimy_asparagus »

In the Go screen each player has two numbers "Number of stones" in their own colour and "Number of captured stones" in their opponent's colour. The latter is obvious but I can't work out what the former means. And in a game where neither player has passed, how can I have 19 stones and my opponent 83? And what happens if I run out of stones? Do I start needing to factor this information into my tactics? And surely this limitation is not in the original spirit of the rules?
Wvlfpvp

Re: Finite number of stones?

Post by Wvlfpvp »

Usually in a Go game, there is a rare chance that all the stones will be used up. Unless the game resulted in multiple Ko fights!
That said, it could still happen and I do wonder what happen when you run out of stones on BGA. As in real life stones are supposed to be unlimited.
slimy_asparagus wrote: 21 December 2021, 00:45 how can I have 19 stones and my opponent 83
That stone count is pretty strange. It is supposed to be rather even. Unless you had captured a lot of your opponent pieces?
Or your opponent passes a lot?

As the Chinese rule lays out that,
Your Available Stones + Your Captured Opponent Stones = Your Opponent Available Stones + Your Opponents Captured Stones.

See if the above maths works out in your game?
RicardoRix

Re: Finite number of stones?

Post by RicardoRix »

I don't believe the number of stones is important.
You can always pass instead, which has the same effect as placing a stone inside your own territory.

Return to “Go”