Anyone play without conventions?

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/#!bugs
Wreckage

Re: Anyone play without conventions?

Post by Wreckage »

The first time I opened the box and read the rules, we started playing with nothing agreed upon before the game. We scored 16 (of 25). I felt pretty good about it. Immediately after, we agreed on discarding oldest, and 2-3 other things.

I think you can play without agreed upon conventions, but not for more than a game or two. If every time you clue a card, you have no idea whether your partner is going to save it, play it, discard it, save every card right of it, discard another card, or play the card left of it...that's too random. It will be to frustrating if they do something different every time in the same situation. How could you play 10 games without starting to have a patterned response at least?

Without any convention, you cannot improve. If you start to improve, it's because you have started using a convention.
ViolentSilence

Post by ViolentSilence »

Wreckage wrote: 08 February 2022, 13:21 The first time I opened the box and read the rules, we started playing with nothing agreed upon before the game. We scored 16 (of 25). I felt pretty good about it. Immediately after, we agreed on discarding oldest, and 2-3 other things.

I think you can play without agreed upon conventions, but not for more than a game or two. If every time you clue a card, you have no idea whether your partner is going to save it, play it, discard it, save every card right of it, discard another card, or play the card left of it...that's too random. It will be to frustrating if they do something different every time in the same situation. How could you play 10 games without starting to have a patterned response at least?

Without any convention, you cannot improve. If you start to improve, it's because you have started using a convention.
That's the key to the game - a group developing their own conventions. It's why I rarely play on here where people expect you to have read the ones that other people have found and play along with those. I want me and my group to discover them for ourselves and get a 25 based on what we learn between us
nccc

Post by nccc »

The most important thing about the conventions for me, is u must ask WHY to urself b4 applying the conventions.
Play left, discard right, save clue,and even finesse reverse bluff, they all make sense to me, so I follow them.
fiscused

Post by fiscused »

This is interesting to me. I have only played a few times, and never heard of "conventions". To me this sounds like circumventing the rules that make the game hard. That is, you're getting extra clues/ everything is not really hidden. Maybe it just gets tiring to people who play a lot?
GeraldineMerida

Post by GeraldineMerida »

There are many conventions that a very logical player could work out, even without being told that the convention exists, e.g. (reverse) bluff.

So they are more about maximising the efficiency of the clues given, rather than trying to circumvent the rules to give 'extra' clues.

Return to “Hanabi”