New tutorial, please, can you review it?

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/#!bugs
vichy

New tutorial, please, can you review it?

Post by vichy »

Hello! I just created my first tutorial, for Senet. I would like to ask you, please, if you can review it and rate the alpha version so I can know if it is useful. Any suggestions? What do you think?

https://boardgamearena.com/tutorial?gam ... torial=615

English is not my first language and some text may not be correct. If you find any wrong text please let me know!

Thank you and happy holidays.
vichy

Re: New tutorial, please, can you review it?

Post by vichy »

Just comment that now it lasts just 3 minutes and that any opinion would help a lot.
:)
SimplicatusGames

Post by SimplicatusGames »

Hi Vichy, great work! In general this is a very good tutorial. My comments below are not meant as criticism.

I already looked through and commented on the tutorial a couple of days ago, but I can't find my comment anywhere, so I'll repeat it here just to make sure you get it. Also, the main point I made there is actually a discussion topic. Meanwhile, I looked at it again, and I also explained the game to a new player, so I have couple of things to add.

TL;DR

1. My main point for discussion: I prefer tutorials without jokes and comments that add to the length. But that is my personal view. I haven't seen a lot of tutorials, so perhaps I'm out of tune with the main audience/user group of tutorials, and/or the common style of tutorials.

2. The strategy in Senet is closely linked to the probability distribution of the throwing sticks. Should this be mentioned in the tutorial? Now it just states the different values and that they are thrown automatically. Here's what I wrote to a new player:
These sticks aren't like regular dice with equal probability. The most likely result is 2 (6/16 or around 37%), then equal chances of getting a 3 or a 1 (4/16 or 25% each), and much less likely a 4 or a 5 (1/16 or around 6% each)

3. When I tried looking at it now with a mobile phone, I was not able to continue past the info about the throwing sticks, as the text box goes below the page, and when I try to scroll down, it jumps back up do I cannot tap "next". By coincidence, that's exactly at the point where I'd add the probability info.

4. I found only a single language error, a mixup of a/an towards the end. Don't remember exactly where, but it should be easy to find.

Hope this helps!
Our games make you think! https://Simplicatus.Games is an independent publisher and distributor of indie tabletop games.
vichy

Post by vichy »

SimplicatusGames wrote: 27 December 2021, 17:24 1. My main point for discussion: I prefer tutorials without jokes and comments that add to the length.
The tutorial lasted 8 minutes because it progressed until I had some tiles in the special houses. I put in a couple of jokes so it wouldn't get so boring to watch 20 turns in a row without explanations or pending actions. But the next day I thought that it was simply too long and that for the explanation it was not necessary that the tiles were in those squares. It would have been better, of course, but the tutorial eternalizes and does not contribute as much. So now it only lasts 3 minutes, and of course, there are no more jokes :)
These sticks aren't like regular dice with equal probability. The most likely result is 2 (6/16 or around 37%), then equal chances of getting a 3 or a 1 (4/16 or 25% each), and much less likely a 4 or a 5 (1/16 or around 6% each)
It is very interesting, thank you! I have added it to the tutorial giving you the credit.
3. When I tried looking at it now with a mobile phone, I was not able to continue past the info about the throwing sticks,
I think I have solved the problems, can you check it again please?
4. I found only a single language error, a mixup of a/an towards the end. Don't remember exactly where, but it should be easy to find.
Located, thank you!
Hope this helps!
Yes! helps a lot!
vichy

Post by vichy »

I ask you again to see this tutorial that lasts only 3-4 minutes and tell me, please, if there is something you would add, if everything is clearly understood, if your device looks good ... It is a good game, I would like to inspire people to play

vichy

Post by vichy »

Thanks to those of you who have valued the tutorial and to @u-topia for publicizing it. It is already in beta phase :)
SimplicatusGames

vichy wrote: 27 December 2021, 19:58 ... the next day I thought that it was simply too long and that for the explanation it was not necessary that the tiles were in those squares. It would have been better, of course, but the tutorial eternalizes and does not contribute as much. So now it only lasts 3 minutes, and of course, there are no more jokes :)
SimplicatusGames wrote: 27 December 2021, 17:24 These sticks aren't like regular dice with equal probability. The most likely result is 2 (6/16 or around 37%), then equal chances of getting a 3 or a 1 (4/16 or 25% each), and much less likely a 4 or a 5 (1/16 or around 6% each)
It is very interesting, thank you! I have added it to the tutorial giving you the credit.
Hope this helps!
Yes! helps a lot!
Thank you, that sounds great! And sorry for not seeing this earlier. I don't venture into the forums very often...

Will have a look at it right away.
Our games make you think! https://Simplicatus.Games is an independent publisher and distributor of indie tabletop games.
SimplicatusGames

vichy wrote: 04 January 2022, 13:01 I ask you again to see this tutorial that lasts only 3-4 minutes and tell me, please, if there is something you would add, if everything is clearly understood, if your device looks good ... It is a good game, I would like to inspire people to play

Hi again, I just completed the tutorial and gave it 5 stars! Actually twice, by accident, as I had to rewatch it in order to copy some text. There are two things I would suggest that you change before publishing:

1. The statistics (thank you for the credit, I didn't expect that :-) ) make more sense if they are presented after the explanation of what the different values do (the most common results do not give extra moves).

So I propose that you simply swap these two "pages", don't rewrite anything.

2. It's been a while, so I am not 100% sure, but I believe that this statement towards the end is incorrect:
It is also possible to leave the House of Water if another stone lands on this square. In that case, the stone that was already there will go to the House of Rebirth.
I believe that if somebody else falls in the water, at least if they arrive from the House of Happiness because they "rolled" 1, then you actually switch places with them and go back to the House of Happiness. It is possible that the same thing happens from the other houses (III, II and I+), i.e. that you switch places instead of going back to House of Rebirth. Because of this, I often hang out in the House of Water with my last stone if I'm ahead and the opponent has several stones left, as they often get a 1 and end up in the water, and then I'll get an automatic shortcut. Also, I might get 4 while I wait ;-)

I'd be very happy to hear from other experienced Senet players if they can confirm or correct what I wrote above!

Return to “Senet”