Question About Pirate Island

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/bugs
Jaisma

Question About Pirate Island

Post by Jaisma »

Serious question, just curious what others think.

You are playing and are way ahead of your opponent. You land on Pirate Island. Do you reroll the dice or simply end your turn?

It strikes me as bad form to kick someone any more than necessary when they are down - if I have 3000 points and my opponent has 0, -400 points is plenty, I think.

Thoughts?
Ironshoes

Re: Question About Pirate Island

Post by Ironshoes »

Depends on the situation.

If you're playing against a first-time player, a member of your family or a close friend (or love interest...), sure, you try to go easy on them.

Any other situation, bang!, I play the dice as long as I can.
I've seen an opponent go from -4500 to 6100 pts (and win the game), so I never hesitate and gain as much advantage as I can, especially in a tournament.

And I still consider myself a good guy.
;)
frogstar_A

Post by frogstar_A »

Reroll, always, for two reasons.

Firstly you’d never think it bad form to try and roll again to score 100 more. Why is it bad form to roll to make the opponent score -100? The impact on the game is the same.

Second, I have many times seen people roll 3000, 4000 or 5000 in a single turn. If you play long enough you will for sure lose a game from what you think is a winning position if you don’t maximise your skull islands.
Jaisma

Post by Jaisma »

Thanks for your replies :) I appreciate your perspectives!
cigma

Post by cigma »

Fun fact: The reroll button is so prominent that before I read your question I didn't even notice that I could end my turn instead :lol:
#zan_zendegi_azadi / #woman_life_freedom
#StandWithUkraine
Language is a source of misunderstanding. (Antoine de Saint-Exupery: The Little Prince) But it is also the source of understanding - it all depends on how you use it. :-)
i12bu

Post by i12bu »

You're a pirate! Go for blood... :twisted:
FT3

Post by FT3 »

cigma wrote: 31 January 2022, 19:34 Fun fact: The reroll button is so prominent that before I read your question I didn't even notice that I could end my turn instead :lol:
I also thought to keep rolling was the only option!

Return to “Piraten kapern”