About gg and good game

Discuss about anything!
bonsaimarsorange

Re: About gg and good game

Post by bonsaimarsorange »

Yes, I agree that wishing for "good game" for both players is the appropriate response. The "you too" response usually comes out of politeness or habit, rather than a genuine response. There's no reason to reply "you too" as the phrase implies that the player is wishing for the same outcome for both of them, which doesn't make sense.
straquinaaa

Post by straquinaaa »

I always say gg at the end of the game!! I don't care ahahaha byeeeee
pookie_wocket

Post by pookie_wocket »

It's just the etiquette that has evolved for these kinds of games. You can say "Good luck have fun" at the beginning and "good game" at the end, both usually abbreviated. You don't have to say either, but some people like to. It doesn't really mean anything and you shouldn't over-think it.
T72on1

Post by T72on1 »

pookie_wocket wrote: 08 March 2023, 00:51 It's just the etiquette that has evolved for these kinds of games. You can say "Good luck have fun" at the beginning and "good game" at the end, both usually abbreviated. You don't have to say either, but some people like to. It doesn't really mean anything and you shouldn't over-think it.
Those last words are key here. Don't overthink it. There's quite some topics about this subject. Which shouldn't be the case, if people just stop overthinking it and don't go actively searching for things that might be offensive in a way.
tchobello

Post by tchobello »

Before Covid, on most every game, quite everybody was saying 'hi & hf' at the beginning and 'gg at the end.
That was some kind of "shaking hands" before and after the game, whoever wins.

Nowadays, I would be more concerned about the fact that so many games are played with silence from all players...
DrRockenheimer

Post by DrRockenheimer »

I found this topic looking for etiquette guidance on this issue. Without any formal guidance on the site, I believe it is entirely futile to expect any particular behavior.

FWIW, in real-time play, I find any chat distracts and inhibits playing my best within the time controls, so I actively avoid it and would like an option to mute it. So I don't find myself wanting to acknowledge the end of the game in that same chat feature. I also do not feel right about imposing English acronyms on opponents.

Now that I am spending more games in turn-based, and 2 player games, I'm revisiting the issue. I still don't find the chat very inviting. Would be nice to acknowledge something at the end in a formal way (like a decompressing handshake in a physical sport, as some have noted), rather than through unwritten etiquette. I just don't think it's realistic for that to happen. I was here years ago in the bad old days, and didn't stick around long. A particular bad experience was someone down rating me for making a mistake at Hearts, like publicly shouting that I'm a bad opponent, don't play with me, etc. (In fact I am quite good at Hearts, but not in a robotically perfect way.) If there was a formal way to praise your opponent at the end of a game, say by checking various boxes, I believe an inordinate amount of energy would be spent by players complaining about their opponents failing to praise them enough.

I am currently on a big winning streak in a new-to-me game in turn-based mode. But I am now facing a slow, strong opponent, who is putting me to the test, showing some tactics I haven't seen yet, and has a good shot at winning. It's the sort of experience I'm here for. Bottom line for me is a good game is its own reward.
SonicJuz

Post by SonicJuz »

Juste to add (since it's hasn't been brought up in this thread - I don't know about other threads on the same subject), that even if you win by a large margin, "gg" is not necessarily undermining your opponent: it can at the contrary recognizing that you had luck, that improvement can be met, that they surprised you, that you had fun (I don't always need to lose to have fun :) - in fact I'm not very competitive so even if I win largely and had no challenge, it doesn't mean it's been a bad game).
Earthboundia

Post by Earthboundia »

LightKnight wrote: 13 January 2022, 15:30 Not sure where to write this.
When I play, I tend to say good game or good luck at the beginning of the game, gg at the end. I'm not overpolite irl, but, idk, I often just feel like it.
I used to say "good luck" more, especially for games of luck, but I realized it was not very genuine because I would not really feel happy to see the other player getting lucky. Maybe you can relate. In the end, do we really wish for good luck for our opponent?...
But there's sth weird with my opponents' reaction. They will often reply "tx, you too". I don't understand the "you too". I mean, I guess it's like an automatic response, but...
So my question is, do you agree that one wishes for "good game" for both? Thus there's no reason to reply "you too"?
I know some people say gg at the end of the game regardless. Personally I only ever say gg when I think the game is a close one and worthy of being called a good game. Otherwise I'll say nothing. I'll only get annoyed when someone says gg after a landslide game or worse if they say ty (thank you) because that just comes along completely insulting and I think I've even red thumbed a few people who have done that.
janess_bonus

Post by janess_bonus »

I think it really depends on different players, some think it's a sign of being nice, recognising your existence/performance, while some think it's useless words, and some even think it's a sarcasm. We got no exact answer cuz we don't even know about them. And that makes some players (at least me) opt not to say anything to avoid such thing. But of course if you know about the player well enough, you'll know what's best.
Strode

Post by Strode »

Earthboundia wrote: 17 June 2023, 17:13I know some people say gg at the end of the game regardless. Personally I only ever say gg when I think the game is a close one and worthy of being called a good game. Otherwise I'll say nothing. I'll only get annoyed when someone says gg after a landslide game or worse if they say ty (thank you) because that just comes along completely insulting and I think I've even red thumbed a few people who have done that.
Really? I doubt it's meant to be insulting. You could just as easily argue that saying nothing is insulting."This person won't even acknowledge me!"

Return to “Off-topic”