About gg and good game

Discuss about anything!
LightKnight

About gg and good game

Post by LightKnight »

Not sure where to write this.
When I play, I tend to say good game or good luck at the beginning of the game, gg at the end. I'm not overpolite irl, but, idk, I often just feel like it.
I used to say "good luck" more, especially for games of luck, but I realized it was not very genuine because I would not really feel happy to see the other player getting lucky. Maybe you can relate. In the end, do we really wish for good luck for our opponent?...
But there's sth weird with my opponents' reaction. They will often reply "tx, you too". I don't understand the "you too". I mean, I guess it's like an automatic response, but...
So my question is, do you agree that one wishes for "good game" for both? Thus there's no reason to reply "you too"?
qwertasdfg

Re: About gg and good game

Post by qwertasdfg »

You want them to have a good game, and they say they want you to have a good game as well. Is that really such a negative thing for you?

You have to consider that different people may have different feelings of what makes a game a good game. So they're saying they want you to have a good game as well. Sounds nice to me
el cosimo

Post by el cosimo »

Already discussed many times. There is no good solution. Everyone think different and act different. Mostly follow and just follow the rest.
LightKnight

Post by LightKnight »

qwertasdfg wrote: 13 January 2022, 15:43Is that really such a negative thing for you?
Ofc it's not, I'm just discussing the point because it's like a social convention, and I wanted others' opinion on it.
To me, it sounds little sensical to reply "you too".
But there's no pb here, I mean, I'm not saying I'm sick of people saying that or whatever, just that to me, it doesn't make sense.
kytbell

Post by kytbell »

"Good game" is my personal BGA pet peeve and I've thought a lot about why it bothers me so much. As a person, I don't go in for superficiality. When somebody has beaten you by like 100 points or it's clear a game is a landslide, their popping off with "good game" (or "gg") at the end can seem snide. Saying "good game" when both players know it wasn't one is fake.

As an American, I assume BGA players doing this comes from the practice of sports teams lining up to shake hands after a game, saying "good game" to every opposing player. But this is an international site that's owned, as I understand, by the French. So why this US custom of saying "good game"? And abbreviating it as "gg"? Geez, that's the worst. A friend and I did that once in high school and when our coach heard us, she reamed our @sses for it because it's so disrespectful. The whole reason Americans started saying "good game" after contact sports was because you had just been in a physically aggressive and competitive environment, pushing and sometimes even hurting these people. You said "good game" to remind yourself that it was a game and that this game was over and to leave it on friendly terms (no fighting in the parking lot, etc). By saying something flip like "gg," it showed the other team you thought making up was a joke because they weren't even worth saying the full words to.

I personally say "thank you." Thank you for taking your time to play with me, a complete stranger in a different part of the world.
T72on1

Post by T72on1 »

el cosimo wrote: 13 January 2022, 15:44 Already discussed many times. There is no good solution. Everyone think different and act different. Mostly follow and just follow the rest.
This. I don't get why it's such a big fuss. It's not because it's a common thing to say that I don't mean it when I say 'good game'. Even when the difference in score is big. It's all about the fun, no? Not about the outcome. So a game with a big difference in points still is a good game for me, at least most of the times.
Tarian Amgeffyl

Post by Tarian Amgeffyl »

terenabell wrote: 17 February 2022, 01:51 "Good game" is my personal BGA pet peeve and I've thought a lot about why it bothers me so much. As a person, I don't go in for superficiality. When somebody has beaten you by like 100 points or it's clear a game is a landslide, their popping off with "good game" (or "gg") at the end can seem snide. Saying "good game" when both players know it wasn't one is fake.

As an American, I assume BGA players doing this comes from the practice of sports teams lining up to shake hands after a game, saying "good game" to every opposing player. But this is an international site that's owned, as I understand, by the French. So why this US custom of saying "good game"? And abbreviating it as "gg"? Geez, that's the worst. A friend and I did that once in high school and when our coach heard us, she reamed our @sses for it because it's so disrespectful. The whole reason Americans started saying "good game" after contact sports was because you had just been in a physically aggressive and competitive environment, pushing and sometimes even hurting these people. You said "good game" to remind yourself that it was a game and that this game was over and to leave it on friendly terms (no fighting in the parking lot, etc). By saying something flip like "gg," it showed the other team you thought making up was a joke because they weren't even worth saying the full words to.

I personally say "thank you." Thank you for taking your time to play with me, a complete stranger in a different part of the world.
Merci d'écrire ça :)
RicardoRix

Post by RicardoRix »

In all instances, saying 'gg' has the equivalent sentiment of saying 'thank you for the game'.
gg is far easier type. A bit like hi and hello, or cya and goodbye.
TxGowan

Post by TxGowan »

I am guilty of the gg/good game snap reaction.

I do wish everyone good luck before the game as a courtesy and to see if the person wants to talk at all.

However, I will also say that if it's a blowout and my opponent says gg, I can take that the wrong way. As a result, I have started to just say "thanks for the game" when the results of the game have been lopsided.
Timmaddams

Post by Timmaddams »

Go well?

I find that quite spicy.

Return to “Off-topic”