"responsibility"

Discussions about the original English text
skoki

Re: "responsibility"

Post by skoki »

The MGT wrote: 27 August 2022, 11:57
skoki wrote: 26 August 2022, 22:01 In the meantime that user turn phrase is now bugged in the Polish version. It is well translated with space in "Tura ${player_name}". But on the BGA interface, when you click your avatar in top-right corner, there is no space visible
Same error with German version. Well translated, but the space after player name is not shown. Might be wrong in all versions which need a space?
I've checked. It will be wrong for all languages that needs a space between ${player_name} and "Turn", no matter what is the order of these words. In English language there is simply no space since it is "${player_name}'s turn". Devs just need to remove the "flex" class for the
"pl-4 text-base" div on the screenshot above.
Een

Post by Een »

skoki wrote: 26 August 2022, 22:01 In the meantime that user turn phrase is now bugged in the Polish version. It is well translated with space in "Tura ${player_name}". But on the BGA interface, when you click your avatar in top-right corner, there is no space visible (again, only in Polish language).
Image https://i.postimg.cc/KKXPt8Qf/Opera-Sna ... na-com.png

I've checked the code, and the space is there, but "display: flex" of parent div makes the space not visible.
Image https://i.postimg.cc/WdqmDkmt/code.png
Thanks, we'll look into it for next release.
Een

Post by Een »

skoki wrote: 26 August 2022, 22:04 And another bug with translations is that, at least in Polish lang, and on Opera some translations are just missing on user-client. Most part of the game is translated, and some phrases are not. It can happen even when whole game translation phrases are confirmed.

I once reported in for one game, and dev said he know the source of it, but no further steps with it
https://boardgamearena.com/bug?id=58690
But it affects any game, not only this one
This is game specific, and should be reported as a bug on the game like you did (for each game where it occurs: there is no magical fix: every string has to be properly marked for translation when a game is developed).
In the bug you reference, indeed the game developer mention an issue in the translation system, but I'm not aware of such an issue, so it would have to be clarified by the developer.
skoki

Post by skoki »

As I said. It affect randomly every game, with that untranslated strings being translated and confirmed in translate HQ. And another match of the same game might have the given strings already well shown translated, or not. Random :geek:
Een

Post by Een »

skoki wrote: 29 August 2022, 18:58 As I said. It affect randomly every game, with that untranslated strings being translated and confirmed in translate HQ. And another match of the same game might have the given strings already well shown translated, or not. Random :geek:
It's still a game issue. If the string is in the translation HQ, it doesn't mean that it's correctly handled on the game side. It can he marked for translation but incorrectly handled. Randomly as in human error :mrgreen:
skoki

Post by skoki »

Ok. Could you check this example?
Game log with one phrase untranslated "declares [...] for his/her next turn", and others ok.
declares.png
declares.png (116.52 KiB) Viewed 1559 times
And that phrase in HQ
declares in HQ.png
declares in HQ.png (24.47 KiB) Viewed 1559 times
link https://boardgamearena.com/translation? ... nd=declare

If you are right that it is bug on the dev of that specific game side, then we have a lot of buggy games :D
And with that, it means that this phrase will be broken for all languages?
Een

Post by Een »

skoki wrote: 30 August 2022, 12:34 Ok. Could you check this example?
You're quite a Saint Thomas, not believing anything :D

Don't need to check it, typical case of a dev using concatenation while it's expressly explained in the doc that they shouldn't. It's one of the most common gotchas. Still as you need proof:

Code: Select all

$log = clienttranslate('${player_name} declares ${gearInd} for his/her next turn');
            $log = str_replace('gearInd','gear_'.$n,$log);
So technically the dev used substitution server side, which is exactly the same thing as a concatenation. They should use the framework notifications client side substitution for proper translation. So yes, it's a game issue.
skoki wrote: 30 August 2022, 12:34 If you are right that it is bug on the dev of that specific game side, then we have a lot of buggy games :D
Nothing surprising about that for anyone in the software industry.
Not sure what's your background, but the only way not to have bugs in software is to not write software ;)
skoki wrote: 30 August 2022, 12:34 And with that, it means that this phrase will be broken for all languages?
Yep. So as I said, it should be reported on the game, there is a bug type for this kind of issue.
skoki

Post by skoki »

Understood. I will link to that message in the bug reports
cigma

Post by cigma »

The warning on the forums page (Warning: challenging a moderation in Forum = 10 days ban More info & details about how to challenge a moderation:) can not be translated.

By the way, maybe this post should be renamed?
#zan_zendegi_azadi / #woman_life_freedom
#StandWithUkraine
Language is a source of misunderstanding. (Antoine de Saint-Exupery: The Little Prince) But it is also the source of understanding - it all depends on how you use it. :-)
The MGT

Post by The MGT »

Een wrote: 29 August 2022, 14:57
skoki wrote: 26 August 2022, 22:01 In the meantime that user turn phrase is now bugged in the Polish version. It is well translated with space in "Tura ${player_name}". But on the BGA interface, when you click your avatar in top-right corner, there is no space visible (again, only in Polish language).
Image https://i.postimg.cc/KKXPt8Qf/Opera-Sna ... na-com.png

I've checked the code, and the space is there, but "display: flex" of parent div makes the space not visible.
Thanks, we'll look into it for next release.
Excuse the question, I just don't know: Is it known approximately when there will be a new release?
No need to rush, it's just that non-English speaking players miss that space every day.

Return to “English - en”