Q for Admin/Moderator - Is asking partner, "May I Go Out" a violation of terms of service

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/bugs
RebaSheba

Q for Admin/Moderator - Is asking partner, "May I Go Out" a violation of terms of service

Post by RebaSheba »

I'm wondering if moderators / administrators might chime in on an issue that is causing some conflict in our games of Hand and Foot.

There are some players who view it as cheating to ask their partner if they may go out before doing so -- and have warned that it is an offense for which someone could be moderated if it is reported.

Others, including me, see the "May I go out?" question as part of the game play/strategy specified in the rules -- and thus not cheating.

The rules to which the BGA Hand and Foot Page links say the following:

The play ends when someone gets rid of all the cards in their "hand" and "foot", by melding or discarding them; this is known as "going out". In order to be allowed to go out, you must satisfy all of the following conditions:

1. your partnership must have completed at least two dirty piles, two clean piles and one wild pile (exactly seven cards in each);
2. your partner must have picked up their "foot" and played at least part of one turn from it;
3. you must ask partner's permission to go out. If partner agrees you must meld all of your remaining cards, or meld all but one of your remaining cards and discard your last card. If partner says no, you are not allowed to go out on that turn.

I can see it going either way since our games are not set up to prohibit going out when partner is still in their hand (#2 on the list).

It would would help the community if we can get clarification on whether this rule about asking partner's permission to go out applies to the games we play in arena or whether asking that question is a violation of fair play.

Thanks!
Last edited by RebaSheba on 27 January 2022, 15:56, edited 1 time in total.
RavingWanderer

Re: Is asking partner, "May I Go Out" a violation of terms of service

Post by RavingWanderer »

This is more of an FYI than a comment on this question. When developing the game, I considered adding options that would explicitly limit going out according to such criteria as whether the partner had played from their foot, seen their foot, or given some sort of explicit (game-mediated) permission. I decided against at the time, on the theory that this is something to be enforced socially and not by the game engine.

Adding a "Ask partner for permission to go out" option would make it explicit that this is an accepted part of a given table's strategy/rules.

Or, players should explicitly discuss in the early stages of the game whether the rest of the table considers the question acceptable behavior.
RebaSheba

Re: Q for Admin/Moderator - Is asking partner, "May I Go Out" a violation of terms of service

Post by RebaSheba »

Thanks for the additional thoughts, and background, Raving Wanderer!

Return to “Hand and Foot”