Same number rolled twice

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/bugs
randusnuder

Same number rolled twice

Post by randusnuder »

Anyone else notice that on the 8-sided die rolls, you tend to roll the same number for the first and second roll?

May just be confirmation bias, but it really seems to happen a lot across my games.
Agent42

Re: Same number rolled twice

Post by Agent42 »

I have only done those actions a couple of times, but it did seem like I got the same number twice in a row a lot more frequently than it should have happened.
Phoxtrot

Post by Phoxtrot »

not for me
JimmyPop

Post by JimmyPop »

I have seen the behavior way too frequently. Often all 3 rolls are the same. The way I avoid it now is to wait 3 to 5 seconds between rerolls. Overall, in my experience in this game, I feel that there is something wrong with the roll algorithm.
Rooster6975

Post by Rooster6975 »

It's completely random. The same code is used across games and apps when random numbers are required. People perceive patterns in small samples, but expanded over a very large sample, the rolls even out. I built and administer a large application at my company that has a few random number generators and I always get these types of complaints. However, I can prove that over a year, the numbers are indeed random and evenly distributed.

It's the same thing as playing black/red in Vegas. People think that just because black came up 17 times in a row that red has a higher probability of coming up next, but in reality, the odds are exactly the same every single time. Over time, they come up the same number of times.

Return to “A Feast for Odin”