Gaia Needs a Final Confirm/Undo

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/bugs
kvkristina

Gaia Needs a Final Confirm/Undo

Post by kvkristina »

Please add a final Confirm or UnDo button to cancel all action and start the turn fresh. Please
Morlocke

Re: Gaia Needs a Final Confirm/Undo

Post by Morlocke »

Yes please! I must have unintentionally turned down the change to research (maybe??) because I gained one of the three special tech tiles, chose to advance in the artificial intelligence track, but then when my turn ended my cube was in the same spot (I was on 3 when I attempted to move to 4) and I gained no QIC cubes (I should have gotten 2). VERY frustrating and it may have just lost me the game! I have no idea what happened or what I might have clicked on for that to happen, so and undo button would have saved me.
belzor

Post by belzor »

I imagine this is a great place to play this game for people who know the game really well, but for someone trying to learn this game by playing it, the lack of an Undo/End Turn button makes it agonizing. I'll be doing pretty well, then do something that has en effect that I forgot about, and then I have to sit through days or weeks more turns in a game that I know I lost because of one dumb move.

This is a complex game where a lot of moves have knock-on effects, and it's a lot to keep track of for a new player. It also has almost no information that gets revealed during a turn; there are no card flips, no dice rolls. An undo button could be used in almost every situation.

Other less complex games with more revealed information, like Lost Ruins of Arnak, Through the Ages, and Beyond the Sun all have undo buttons, and it makes them much more fun for non-expert players.

The "Are you sure" button is not helpful because no board changes are shown before clicking it.
ulliulli

Post by ulliulli »

Gaia Project is one of my favorite games, but I'll simply never play it on BGA for the lack of the UNDO button. What's the big deal? Terra Mystica have it, Agricola have it, Great Western Trail have it... I almost want another team to implement a Gaia project from the scratch, as the current one refuses to implement this function
Mogri

Post by Mogri »

Are you going to bankroll it?

The current team (hello) is not merely being obstinate. The current team is working on four other games. In our spare time, we consider features such as the much-demanded auction. We have considered the undo feature. There's just not any merit in adding it. The risk of adding new bugs and the time involved outweigh any possible benefit, especially given that those asking tend to fall into two categories:

1. Those who understand that developers such as ourselves work on a shoestring budget in our spare time
2. Those who feel entitled to features

Players in category 1 tend to read what we've written on the subject and leave silently or maybe thank us for our efforts. Players in category 2 tend to complain loudly about it.
ulliulli

Post by ulliulli »

I was out of line, sorry
Jack McNeeb

Post by Jack McNeeb »

@uiliuili, thanks for apologizing--even to this uninvolved party, that was a cool move. On the other hand, the fact that the "current team," Mogri, ignored your apology was quite the opposite. While I understand the fully justifiable frustration they may be feeling, accepting an apology is simply the nice thing to do.

Anyway, know that someone recognized your stand up action.

Cheers mate
Kayvon

Post by Kayvon »

Much appreciate, Ulliulli. The dev team is usually focused on the bugs and suggestions portion, so it may be a while before Mogri sees it, but he's appreciative, too.

For my part (I'm the other half of the dev team), I don't think I've seen this forum for a good two or three months. It's great to see comments from people who are enjoying the game. Armchair quarterbacks are summarily ignored ("This implementation is broken unless they add..."), but thoughtful suggestions are always appreciated. The best way to get a fast response is to add it to the official suggestions/bugs area.
TrueErale

Post by TrueErale »

i agree about this feature .
it's a must in my opinion.
sometimes the turns are very complex and just one miscalculated thing can cause you to lose the whole game.
not to mention that i had mislicks a couple of times.
Yaniv

Post by Yaniv »

I just clicked to build a RL instead of PI, my whole game is ruined now.
I just lost my time, it is really frustrating....
Please implement this feature, this is way more important than advanced features. Every body would benefit from it, not only the pro players.
Thanks

Return to “Gaia Project”