I have made a tutorial.

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/bugs
u-topia

I have made a tutorial.

Post by u-topia »

https://boardgamearena.com/tutorial?gam ... torial=706

I am not a native English speaker, so there may be some grammatical errors.
However, I hope you will take a look at the tutorial.
wpollock

Re: I have made a tutorial.

Post by wpollock »

It's excellent. Organized really well, I appreciated how you set up little problems for the players to solve and got them to find solutions. I haven't seen that in other tutorials so far, and now I want to see it in more.

For the English, I think most of the issues can be solved with three changes:

1) Almost always, it's correct to write "spices" instead of "spice". Whenever you're working with more than one cube (which is most of the time), you want the plural form.

2) The phrase, "...play 'Play a card'..." reads awkwardly because of the repeated word. I think it's possible to remove the first "play" and only keep the one inside the action, but if you prefer you could also change it to something with the same meaning. For example, "...select the 'Play a card' action..."

3) This is less about English than about this style of writing, but in technical writing (which this is), it's considered bad form to talk about something as being "obvious" or "easy", as if your reader doesn't find it easy it can give the impression that you're insulting their intelligence. So I'd advise changing the phrases about Century being easy to play. Maybe instead talk about how fun it is, or how interesting it can be to figure out the puzzle of how to play your cards to get a contract quickly, or something like that?

The phrase about how easy the images on the card are to understand can stay...if the colourblind help that's been added to the game is clear. That one's more of a judgment call.

Hope that helps.
Cheery Dog

Post by Cheery Dog »

Did I skim through the start or is the official names of the spices missing?
szokea

Post by szokea »

Great one, thanks 🙏
I miss the info what happens if I pay for a trader card in case I only have red spices? Let's assume I already upgraded some of my yellow spices and I want to pay for the trader card. Do the red spices worth the same value like the yellow?
u-topia

Post by u-topia »

I completely forgot to look through this forum. I apologize for that.
Thank you for your input.

>wpollock
Japanese does not have the concept of plural form. This is one of the parts of English that I find difficult.
I would appreciate it if you could fix this through the translation function of BGA.

I've fixed the PLAY part. Thank you very much.
I also deleted a lot of the last sentence.

A method that requires players to solve small problems.
I've used this technique in several of my tutorials.
It seems to work very well with Century.
It was a method that worked very well with Century because it could present several problems in succession.

>Cheery Dog
The names of the spices are written at the beginning. Please check it.

>szokea
It didn't say if it could be substituted with high value spices.
If I get a chance to upgrade I will add it.

As for me, I published it thinking that it would not be so well received.
However, Century's tutorial rating was one of the best in the BGA.
Thank you very much.
wpollock

Post by wpollock »

I was thinking of offering a copy-edit anyway, but I didn't know how that would work. I'll look at the translations over the weekend, but I haven't done that before so I may need to ask for help, if that's ok.
wpollock

Post by wpollock »

That wasn't so bad. Editing pass is done, hope that helped. Two other small comments after that:

1 -- "I" and "you" are a bit inconsistently used. I didn't edit this as I wasn't sure exactly what you wanted, but I think it could use an editing pass just looking at this one thing.

2 -- "The game ends when one of the players collects the default number of scoring cards." It's probably worth either writing out how many this is, or pointing out where to find it on the screen.
anne nobrega

Post by anne nobrega »

Is the tutorial collaborative? In my language, there are some errors.

In the Move #9 the tutorial ask to the player click in the "red frame" e "Confirm (Payment Automatic)", but in the Move #11 asks the same thing again, what is not possible, because we already did it before.

So we can't continue the tutorial because we just can do exactly what it ask.
u-topia

Post by u-topia »

>That wasn't so bad. Editing pass is done, hope that helped. Two other small comments after that:

Thanks a lot for the fix. The tutorial has been refined.

There is an announcement from BGA not to update the official tutorial.
(Of course, modifications in English by the translation system are allowed).
There are no plans to add to this tutorial.

Right now, this is the #1 rated tutorial on BGA.
Thank you for your evaluation.
u-topia

Post by u-topia »

>Is the tutorial collaborative? In my language, there are some errors.

If you tell us more about your situation, we may be able to help you.
(3 yellow spice cards?)

Return to “Century”