"interesting" match

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/bugs
radiospace

"interesting" match

Post by radiospace »

I was playing a 3-player game of Splendor this afternoon when it very quickly seemed to me that my two opponents were working together to reserve any card I had saved up gems to purchase. I checked their nationalities and they were both French. At first I thought, it's highly unlikely the same person running two accounts could join one of my games at the same time. Then I realized, unlike 99% of the games I play, I didn't host this one, I joined a game with two people already waiting for a third person to join :-O.

This strategy of reserving any card I could buy or that one might guess I would want continued apace, and I quickly decided: the only way to win this is to buy a ton of level 1 cards and build up so much purchasing power that 1) they can't guess what I'm going to get next and 2) I win a bunch of nobles.

This actually worked so well that I got 3 nobles and won fairly easily (17-11-10).

I checked the stats after the game: it was 28 rounds long and each of my "two" opponents reserved cards exactly 25% of their turns.

Now who reserves 7 cards in a game of Splendor? (The average for all players as shown in the game stats is reserving cards 15% of one's turns). Never seen anything like it, not once, much less two opponents in the same game doing that, c'mon.

I think "they" were so obsessed with that strategy that it enabled me to win because let's face it, one gold coin is great, but over the long haul you are better off drawing three random colors than one gold, and then they had to save up and buy all those 14 cards they reserved (and which had no strategic purpose for them other than to deny them to me).

Anyway, better luck next time.
cigma

Re: "interesting" match

Post by cigma »

I checked the statistics of the two players you are referring to. Only one of them regularly has such a high rate of reserving cards. The other one not, but was maybe triggered to it in this game by the first one.

They also don't play together regularly. So this "interesting" game was probably pure coincidence.
#zan_zendegi_azadi / #woman_life_freedom
#StandWithUkraine
Language is a source of misunderstanding. (Antoine de Saint-Exupery: The Little Prince) But it is also the source of understanding - it all depends on how you use it. :-)
radiospace

Re: "interesting" match

Post by radiospace »

whatever their motivation was, I didn't give them thumbs downs, because I need all the help winning this tough game I can get.... and that was the easiest win ever.

Return to “Splendor”