Non-playing Player who has signed up for A LOT of tournaments

Tournaments organization / Organisation des tournois
blockmonoid

Re: Non-playing Player who has signed up for A LOT of tournaments

Post by blockmonoid »

I find it ironic that when you mention this player's name in the forums, you get a moderation warning saying to use Moderation Reports instead of complaining in the forums. However, there is nowhere to write a report on this abusive player. If you go to their page, click "Report This Player" and try to select almost any option, you won't get a form to fill out, but rather a reply that just says "we're sorry, but we won't do anything about this." The only options that *do* allow you fill out a form are for things like using multiple accounts. I would like to report this player, but I hesitate to do it by selecting the wrong reason, especially because the Moderation Reports page has a threat that if you report someone incorrectly, you may be moderated yourself. It's no wonder that the first report against this player only arrived this month -- the system does not allow for an accurate report of this abuse.

And let me be clear, it is abuse. This is not a player who signed up for tournaments, then had life situations come up, and timed out on a bunch of games. That is understandable. What this player does is deliberate. Over many months now (possibly over a year?) they sign up for hundreds of tournaments, then make no moves, ruining the experience of the tournament for many players. Their karma goes down to 0 (but really, it should be -1000 because of how many games they abandoned). Then they return to the site, play a few quick games like Can't Stop or Lucky Numbers, and get their karma back to 100%. Then they sign up for another hundred tournaments and leave the site. I have had 2 Marrakech tournaments damaged by him just this past week and several more in the past, as well as tournaments of Potion Explosion and other games.

Tournament organizers try to obstruct them by setting 85% reputation thresholds, but they cannot because this player signs up when they are at 100% reputation. There is nothing that can be done once the tournament starts. It is seriously frustrating to tournament organizers and players, because this player has such notoriety in tournament play.

Like others have said, I would report this player if I could, but the system does not allow it. This is one very bad player that is making the site a bad experience for thousands of players. That is not an exaggeration. 100 tournaments of 30 players each (on average) is 3000 players affected by this one player, every month or two.

Is the money you earn from their premium membership worth the money you are losing from people who don't become premium because they had bad experiences with this player?
Last edited by blockmonoid on 28 September 2022, 23:20, edited 2 times in total.
stefko007

Post by stefko007 »

This guy is a problem but generally, there are hundreds of players that will join a tournament and play one move per day, thus time outing all the time ... There is nothing that can be done here. I am in one tournament now, where just 2 games have been finished and the rest (some 40 games) run out of time .. up to the duel for first place ..

That's way I am starting a group for tournaments and will do only private tournaments with the members .. if at least that works ...
This is the group: https://boardgamearena.com/group?id=127 ... ublicinfos
zellaaa

Post by zellaaa »

did they change their username? I can't find them anymore
zellaaa
Meeplelowda

Post by Meeplelowda »

zellaaa wrote: 16 December 2022, 10:34 did they change their username? I can't find them anymore
Even if they did, we'd get moderated if we told you the new one. ;)
zellaaa

Post by zellaaa »

*retracted*
Last edited by zellaaa on 18 December 2022, 16:56, edited 1 time in total.
zellaaa
zellaaa

Post by zellaaa »

Meeplelowda wrote: 16 December 2022, 19:26 Even if they did, we'd get moderated if we told you the new one. ;)
zellaaa wrote: 16 December 2022, 10:34 yikes :?
zellaaa
blockmonoid

Post by blockmonoid »

they have not been on the site in over 40 days.
blockmonoid

Post by blockmonoid »

And they are back... and they have signed up for a ton of tournaments again and been ejected from them once the karma dropped below 20%. But on multiplayer elimination tournaments, that means several players are going to get eliminated with them, just because they had the bad luck of being placed at their table.
Gulchen

Post by Gulchen »

Perhaps the ​ Tournament Finishers ​ group is relevant again:

https://boardgamearena.com/group?id=12262635

https://boardgamearena.com/forum/viewto ... rs#p121542
poltorgeist

Post by poltorgeist »

I am in an Agricola Long Game Tournament where there are two non-players in my group and the solutions put forward here mostly would not affect them - they are only playing in this tournament, so they only play one game every 30 days (and time out of it because they make no moves).

I think the best solution is to have a feature that kicks players out of tournaments automatically if they time out of 3 consecutive tournament games.

I think this is a good solution on multiple fronts. On the BGA end - it is a solution they can program and then be "hands off" (instead of dealing with individual cases). Additionally, while I think Tournament Organizers really should be allowed to kick players, I can imagine these forum pages full of complaints, instead of about abusive players like now, about abusive TOs. On the player end - it allows players to make mistakes or be busy while protecting against abuse. If a few players ruin 3 games, a tournament is affected but not ruined, like how it might be if a few players ruin all the games.

Return to “Tournaments / Les tournois”