Non-playing Player who has signed up for A LOT of tournaments

Tournaments organization / Organisation des tournois
HedgieWedgie

Non-playing Player who has signed up for A LOT of tournaments

Post by HedgieWedgie »

Is there any way to get someone removed from tournaments? FunWithFlags has 307 turn-based games going most or all of which are tournament games and hasn't logged in for 9 days. Great way to ruin hundreds of other player's games. :(

*Moderation Edit: please do not use the Forums to call players out by name, this is what the Moderation Reports are for. The Forums should remain a general discussion.
FSKFSK

Re: Non-playing Player who has signed up for A LOT of tournaments

Post by FSKFSK »

This is a well-known problem with tournaments that the site admins haven't addressed.

I'm playing in an Incan Gold Swiss tournament where something like 10%-20% of the players are absent and it's 5 player games. Half the games are timeouts. Swiss tournaments are unplayable with lots of absent players, especially when the tournament is configured for "don't play the same person twice".

They need to implement the following changes:

1. In a Swiss tournament, if you timeout in a game you get kicked from the tournament.
2. If you have multiple tournament timeouts, you should get banned from entering tournaments. Two timeouts in the past 90 days: 7 day ban on entering new tournaments. Five or more timeouts in the past 90 days: 30 day ban on entering new tournaments.
3. In a "multiplayer elimination" tournament, if someone timeouts everyone else in the game advances, even if that isn't how the tournament was configured. So if a tournament was configured "6 play 3 advance" and someone timeouts, then the other 5 players all advance.
NCFCRulz

Post by NCFCRulz »

Yep he times out on a regular basis before these tournaments. Obviously just someone who couldn't care less about other people
Yasten

Post by Yasten »

Well, the problem is some games can time you out quicker because it's a fixed time limit... I once had a game where ALL 3 players ran out of time in a Swiss tourney but the time limit was fixed with 5 players in mind.

So...
FSKFSK wrote: 06 February 2022, 01:12 This is a well-known problem with tournaments that the site admins haven't addressed.

I'm playing in an Incan Gold Swiss tournament where something like 10%-20% of the players are absent and it's 5 player games. Half the games are timeouts. Swiss tournaments are unplayable with lots of absent players, especially when the tournament is configured for "don't play the same person twice".

They need to implement the following changes:

1. In a Swiss tournament, if you timeout in a game you get kicked from the tournament.
2. If you have multiple tournament timeouts, you should get banned from entering tournaments. Two timeouts in the past 90 days: 7 day ban on entering new tournaments. Five or more timeouts in the past 90 days: 30 day ban on entering new tournaments.
3. In a "multiplayer elimination" tournament, if someone timeouts everyone else in the game advances, even if that isn't how the tournament was configured. So if a tournament was configured "6 play 3 advance" and someone timeouts, then the other 5 players all advance.
If you skip a players' turn in a tourney are you kicked? Imagine a decent move speed player being penalized bc a SOLO game lasted too long...
FSKFSK

Post by FSKFSK »

Tournaments should use a Fisher clock system rather than a fixed clock system. I.e., you get +8 hours per move with a maximum bank of 1-2 days.

I'm not referring to slightly slow players. I'm referring to people who flat-out don't play, or who only play 1-2 moves a day for a game that normally takes 30-40+ moves. If someone is actively playing and their clock goes slightly minus, I'll usually let them finish.

Tournaments right now have a serious problem with severely slow or absent players.

If you're playing in tournaments, you should be checking if it's your turn more than once a day.
mrdoctor

Post by mrdoctor »

I've noticed this guy sign up to tournaments I've set up before. He seems to go through phases of playing lots on BGA, signing up to lots of tournaments, and having 100s of simultaneous games. Then he'll vanish for a month or so, and start again. Only takes a handful of short easy games to get the reputation back to 100%

But yeah, should be some penalty about being able to enter tournaments if you get kicked from X tournament games or something. Potentially also a limit on how many turn-based games one account can have going at once too...at times he is playing, he must spend almost every waking moment taking moves to be able to finish the games he starts.
HedgieWedgie

Post by HedgieWedgie »

I've given this some thought - I think that players should get automatically withdrawn from a tournament if their ratings goes to 0% and a new game is about to begin with them in it. That would solve this problem after they miss a certain number of games, and it would also allow for people who only go over time a couple of games.

Also, to be clear, I'm talking about people who appear to have abandoned BGA for a while/long time, not just people who are slow players. I try to let games play out even with players over time, but that's different from a player that never played a single turn in a tournament game and has 300 other ones going. I think the proper term for that is a "BGA Menace".
mrdoctor

Post by mrdoctor »

Noted * is signed-up to a tournament that starts in a couple of days. Is it possible to remove them from the tournament to not ruin it for others? https://boardgamearena.com/tournament?id=115715

*Moderation Edit: please do not use the Forums to call players out by name, this is what the Moderation Reports are for. The Forums should remain a general discussion.
mrdoctor

Post by mrdoctor »

* is back, and seems to have signed up to about 150 tournaments just today. If they then vanish for months, again, that's a lot more 2022 tournaments semi-ruined for a lot of players.

Would a limit on the amount of tournaments a player is allowed to be playing simultaneously (or games with a timer that a player can play) be a good idea? Last year I got a bit enthusiastic and for about a week I think I had about 100 turn-based games running simultaneously - and it was stressful even to do it for just one week.

Maybe something like:
* Max 100 (or 75) turn-based games (non-tournament)
* Max 100 (or 75) active tournament sign-ups
* Unlimited training-mode/no-time-limit games

That'd still allow for 200 (or 150) turn-based timed games for those who really want to juggle that many games, plus allow an unlimited amount of other games where players won't get frustrated at the timer running over/games timing out. Although if someone signed up to 100 round-robin tournaments that'd generate 1500 (100x15) simultaneous games, so may need some planning to counter that...

Or at the least, change things so that reputation can't just be regained quickly by playing 20 quick games of Connect 4 and no actual repercussions.

Last edited by mrdoctor on 20 April 2022, 14:15, edited 2 times in total.
T72on1

Post by T72on1 »

Something definitely needs to be done against players like that. He or she is definitely ruining a lot of tournaments for a lot of people.

Return to “Tournaments / Les tournois”