New BGA "omnibar" search

What's new on BGA ?
Respublik

Re: New BGA "omnibar" search

Post by Respublik »

sourisdudesert wrote: 15 February 2022, 11:27 We are proud to introduce today a new navigation feature for BGA: the Omnibar search.
Bug: On my mobile, in 99 percent of tries, pressing the Play Now activates the search bar. It needs a strict space limitation within the border.
diamant

Post by diamant »

sourisdudesert wrote: 15 February 2022, 11:27 We are proud to introduce today a new navigation feature for BGA: the Omnibar search.
Franchement, vous ne devriez pas être fiers, car il n'y a vraiment pas de quoi.
Déjà, à la base, ce qui m'insupporte quand je saisis du texte dans un champ de recherche, c'est l'analyse continue de ce que je saisis au clavier, qui donne lieu à une série d'affichages parasites non seulement inutiles, mais aussi perturbants. Ce que j'attends avant tout d'un moteur de recherche, c'est la possibilité de désactiver cette fonction d'analyse continue de façon à ce que je puisse contrôler le moment de déclencher la recherche.

Ensuite, quand il s'agit de retrouver une chose ou une personne dont je connaît le nom, je ne trouve aucun intérêt à ce que les résultats apparaissent avec des fioritures graphiques qui rendent ces résultats illisibles. Ici, vous arrivez à conjuguer l'illisibilité et la laideur. De plus, cette débauche de graphisme contribue à encombrer les liaisons de la toile internet utilisées pour acheminer les informations, et donc à produire plus de CO2. Les personnes qui ont une offre internet limitée (ce n'est pas mon cas, fort heureusement) l'atteindront plus facilement et en cas de dépassement, paieront encore davantage pour le dépassement.

Je ne comprends pas que des moyens humains importants aient pu être employés pour un projet aussi nul, surtout lorsqu'un nombre important de corrections demandées par les membres du site demeurent ignorées pendant des mois ou même des années.
ViolentSilence

Post by ViolentSilence »

This function still has a big flaw inherited from the group search function - you need to enter the exact starting text of a group for it to present. For example, If I wanted to find a group of gamers in Virginia, I can start typing that and find two invitation only groups, but there is also a public group "Gamers of SW Virginia" that aren't shown, but looking for "gamers of"isn't going to work for all areas. If you enter Dice however, it brings up every game with Dice in the name, so all that is needed is to extend that functionality for the other search areas. There are maybe some other search options that would help, like an option for people to publicly mark the geography of group if they want it open to players from a certain area, especially if a group has a less intuitive name, or if you want to draw a distinction between Newcastle (England, Australia, Northern Ireland)

It also feels like it could do with a filter so people can actively choose what they are looking for, but I do like having the combined search on the front page
nairobiny

Post by nairobiny »

I really like the omnibar search. I also like the simplification of the menu options, which were previously too convoluted, and the new site design. Well done, BGA!
voriki

Post by voriki »

Feeling Lucky, I would think that the dice you select(red outline) would be Dice you want to keep, not re-roll.
People who play dice game like Yathzee or King of Tokyo would reason this way.

Return to “BGA release notes”