rematch - reverse roles

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/#!bugs
kytbell

rematch - reverse roles

Post by kytbell »

Hi. I've noticed on other BGA games when two players finish one game then start a rematch with each other, "a rematch is detected" and roles are reversed. This, however, does not happen with Noir. I have one friend, for example, that I wind up being the inspector every time. It'd be nice to be the killer for once! We've tried proposing a rematch on games where the game starting position was "random" as well as "first player is inspector," but it doesn't make a difference.

Does anybody know why Noir doesn't do this? I'm curious to know if it's just that developers haven't gotten around to coding that in (it's my understanding they are volunteers and short-handed, so if so I'd completely understand) or if it's something specific to this game. Thanks!

(Alternatively, has BGA considered adding a "first player is killer" option? That would solve the problem as well.)
Een

Re: rematch - reverse roles

Post by Een »

Probably the developer randomized the roles in their code instead of relying on the BGA framework. You could try raising a bug about that.

About "first player is killer" it was deliberately not included (or removed, I'm not sure anymore) because otherwise some "ranking motivated" (to say it nicely) players would use that option to be the killer systematically in tables with unsuspecting other players (as the game is asymetrical and it gives an advantage). So if you want to be the killer, you should ask your friend to start the game with the option "first player is inspector".
kytbell

Post by kytbell »

How do I raise a bug, thanks?
Een

Post by Een »

Link is at the top of the page :) https://boardgamearena.com/#!bugs
kytbell

Post by kytbell »

Thanks. Checking out the link you shared, it looks like this was submitted as a bug report in 2019 and still hasn’t been responded to. Egads.
GeraldineMerida

Post by GeraldineMerida »

Een wrote: 22 February 2022, 17:48 Probably the developer randomized the roles in their code instead of relying on the BGA framework. You could try raising a bug about that.

About "first player is killer" it was deliberately not included (or removed, I'm not sure anymore) because otherwise some "ranking motivated" (to say it nicely) players would use that option to be the killer systematically in tables with unsuspecting other players (as the game is asymetrical and it gives an advantage). So if you want to be the killer, you should ask your friend to start the game with the option "first player is inspector".
With the Citizen Arrest variant, the asymmetry favours the inspector. And indeed, one of the 'Top 5 players of all time' consistently used that setting to get where he is.

So maybe both should be disabled, or there should be a pop-up warning to the 2nd player that the settings place them at a disadvantage.
kytbell

Post by kytbell »

Appreciate your comment, but I’m not sure what it has to do with this thread. You may want to put it into a thread about that variant so it will be seen and responded to by folks who know about that, thanks.

Return to “Noir: Killer versus Inspector”