Stop the war

Discuss about anything!
skoki

Re: Stop the war

Post by skoki »

red_mary wrote: 09 March 2022, 21:19 We all know that what information Russian receive from their medias is false information, lies and manipulation, controlled by Putin.
"Their media are lying, our media say truth" - This is the common phrase for you and them (Russians) I think. And both of you are wrong. Both of you are getting antagonized.
And if in order to search for the truth, listening also to what Russians say sounds like insanity for you, then be sure, that they will think the same about listening to your point of view (I used word "your", and not "media point of view" just to state how it really should be, that people tell what they think, not what they were told by mass media)

Note: I am against the violence, all sorts of them
DaffyVina

Post by DaffyVina »

Thank you for your thoughtful discussion with me about this earlier skoki.

One consideration that is important when considering bias (individual, group, media, etc.) is that we all have one. We all have our perspective, influenced by thousands of tiny moments in our lives, and sometimes this is going to lead us to inaccurate conclusions. Being somewhat aware of this and trying to test testable ideas, and get wider perspectives are always helpful in addressing our own prejudices.

However, it is also important to note that this does not then mean every source of information is equally biased.

There is a difference between someone deliberately trying to tell one story, and someone whose main focus is remaining factual.

There is a difference between saying, this source repeatedly proves inaccurate, so we will not let it spread propaganda so easily (but you can still access it if you chose to look it up) and someone with power to physically harm / restrain you (e.g. police) being authorised to ensure that no counter-opinion is offered.

It is bearing that in mind that helps me consider that the bulk of news media available in Russia is controlled by Putin is a factual statement. That does not mean that they say nothing true, but they are severely limited in how they may talk about things, due to the negative repercussions.
thx3811

Post by thx3811 »

I think that changeing your nationality to Ukrainian as a gesture of solidarity misses the point - the Russian players may mistakenly think situation in Ukraine isn't that tragic if so many "Ukrainians" still can play on bga.

Personally I won't play with any Russian players right now, I just can't stand thinking that Russian at their warm houses can still play online games while the barbarian army of their bloody dictator putin is killing Ukrainians and destroying all their country. Instead of playing games Russians should start to fight for their own freedom from the magalomaniac psychopathic dictator they've let to governed them for so many years.
Great_Martini

Post by Great_Martini »

Some interesting points being made - thanks.

Personally, I can't tell if any player has refused to play with me because my nationality is showing as Ukrainian (or for that matter when my nationality was showing as UK), or what Russian players think about the situation. All I can say is that I've not had any problems finding players for games I want to play. I should imagine that there are some Russian players embarrassed at how their country is acting, but perhaps afraid to speak out, even here. Equally, there may be some Russian players who support what their country is doing but want to avoid being targeted by the rest of us!

In response to Skoki's comments, it's important to get your news from a variety of sources, and make the judgement which you find most reliable and honest - not easy in an age when what you look at online influences what "information" is offered to you to consume, and not just relevant for this conflict (think Brexit, the USA elections etc).
Alexandr Darius

Post by Alexandr Darius »

I've changed my avatar, left the nationality :)

Anyway the situation is dare. We need to support Ukraine, because if Putler achieves his goals, it will be the same situation as with Hitler. Also for ordinary Russians it means ongoing despotic opression. Kremlin politics cannot be trusted, they lie all the time.

They lied to Czechoslovakia they are not gonna invade in 1968... and they DID! They lied about protecting Ukraine if it gives up the nuclear weapons
- the 1996/1997 agreement in which also the western powers promised to protect Ukraine. They all lie shamefully, especially many German and French politicians seem to be on the Russian payroll.

It is not war between Russia and Ukraine. It is war between liberty, freedom and democracy on one side and despotism, oppression and slavery on the other.

China is also watching.
SimplicatusGames

Post by SimplicatusGames »

Everybody* is welcome to join the #StandWithUkraine group: https://boardgamearena.com/group?id=11619509
It's useful to share info there also, as many do not read the forums :-)

* Unfortunately, there are a handful of trolls and/or putinists on here.
Our games make you think! https://Simplicatus.Games is an independent publisher and distributor of indie tabletop games.
skoki

Post by skoki »

SimplicatusGames wrote: 30 March 2022, 00:27 * Unfortunately, there are a handful of trolls and/or putinists on here.
How have you found it out?
SimplicatusGames

Post by SimplicatusGames »

skoki wrote: 14 April 2022, 14:01
SimplicatusGames wrote: 30 March 2022, 00:27 * Unfortunately, there are a handful of trolls and/or putinists on here.
How have you found it out?
Sorry, I didn't see the notice about your quote until now. The way I found it out is that one of them joined our group #StandWithUkraine (https://boardgamearena.com/group?id=11619509) and posted several pro-Putin slogans, and harassing other players. As a result, that user has been banned repeatedly and is also currently banned.

That user mentioned 3-4 other accounts that are either also their own accounts (though they denied this) or belong to other persons who act the same way. I checked back then and it seemed at least a couple of those accounts were no longer active (they hadn't been logged into for 2+ months). We haven't had any trouble with trolls since back than (presumably because that user has been banned). So apparently the others are not active.

In that case, the "handful" is actually just 1 user. And I hope it stays that way.
Our games make you think! https://Simplicatus.Games is an independent publisher and distributor of indie tabletop games.
Yurazyzz

Post by Yurazyzz »

SuperUkrainian is the hilarious card RPG in which players defeat ugly orcs. Kickstarter launching soon!
Click "Notify me..." button on our KS Pre-Launch page to be the first to know!
HERE: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/in ... om-ukraine
If you support this project you also support people in Ukraine and Ukrainian economy
Follow us on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/accounts/logi ... ukrainian/
And find us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/super.ukrainian.game/

Return to “Off-topic”