Curious about player designation

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/bugs
Dren608

Curious about player designation

Post by Dren608 »

So it looks like if you reach 200 - 299 ELO you become a "good player"
300 - 499? (Mark broke the 400 ELO barrier) is a "strong player" ?
So will 500+ be an expert? Is there a "master" level?

IMHO Mark Dey should be designated as an expert at least ;)

I was curious if that is something you program into the module, or is it some setting done when module released to the BGA Platform, etc.?

Maybe this is answered in another forum? :geek:
Last edited by Dren608 on 24 March 2022, 13:41, edited 1 time in total.
Lunalol

Re: Crious about player designation

Post by Lunalol »

I have no control on that, all is in BGA framework.
RobertBr

Post by RobertBr »

Dren608 wrote: 28 February 2022, 22:16 So it looks like if you reach 200 - 299 ELO you become a "good player"
300 - 499? (Mark broke the 400 ELO barrier) is a "strong player" ?
So will 500+ be an expert? Is there a "master" level?
BGA uses the system to let you limit a table. its very useful for competitive games (think Hive, Carcassonne, Puerto Rico, etc), so a stronger player does not need to play games against complete newbies, a newbie does not need to put up with being completely crushed by an opponent they have no hope against. Of course, it does not work for USE. The players with higher ratings mostly play the short scenarios and there is a much smaller gap in skill levels in the community (for example 433 does not put me in the top 100 at Hive but 235 puts me 5th overall at USE).
Dren608

Post by Dren608 »

Thanks for the responses - good to know
another Question then is there a list of all players of USE?
I know of at least 1 or 2 that don't show up in the "competitive" drop down when you select all time. I assume that is for only those that have played in an arena game? Or maybe only recently active people are listed?
Again just curious on how many have tried to play this game (and thus have an ELO rating of some sort > 1
RobertBr

Post by RobertBr »

The 'all time' option should show anyone with a current ELO. Your ELO is current only if you have actively played a game recently.
Dren608

Post by Dren608 »

RobertBr wrote: 02 March 2022, 08:30 The 'all time' option should show anyone with a current ELO. Your ELO is current only if you have actively played a game recently.
Thanks
jonathanmcc

Post by jonathanmcc »

My son and I have been playing since the game went out of beta.

We were familiar with the game as I bought the physical game about 7 or 8 years ago, although we had not played it much.

In BGA, we have played Poland twice, The Med once, Barbarossa once and the Main Event twice.
Our ranking is 0 for both of us as they were all training games - we don't like having a time constraint so we can leave the game sit for a week and then play when we want.

So even though our rank is 0, we would consider ourselves to be reasonably competent players.
RobertBr

Post by RobertBr »

jonathanmcc wrote: 05 March 2022, 12:59 Our ranking is 0 for both of us as they were all training games - we don't like having a time constraint so we can leave the game sit for a week and then play when we want.

So even though our rank is 0, we would consider ourselves to be reasonably competent players.
You don't need to play in training mode to do that, the game will wait months before automatically kicking you and doesn't care a jot if you overrun your time. Note that I do not consider myself to be a particularly competent player and I have played every scenario and the main game more than a dozen times, so while you are not a beginner it is unlikely you are as strong as some of the stronger players on the site.
jonathanmcc

Post by jonathanmcc »

RobertBr wrote: 05 March 2022, 17:14 ...so while you are not a beginner it is unlikely you are as strong as some of the stronger players on the site.
Oh I don't doubt that :D.
I was trying to illustrate (and doing a bad job of it) that there are people on zero points who are active players.

Return to “Unconditional Surrender! World War 2 in Europe”