About war in Ukraine

Discussions about BGA (all languages)
Forum rules
Warning: challenging a moderation in Forum = 10 days ban
More info & details about how to challenge a moderation: viewtopic.php?p=119756
Buttburp

Re: About war in Ukraine

Post by Buttburp »

My question to Board Game Arena is... At what point do you draw the line?
I mean, would you have let Nazi concentration camp guards keep playing on your platform? Would BGA allow sadistic torturers and kidnappers of girls in the DR of Congo play on here?
It seems so..
Very troubling if you ask me.
Nastusia

Post by Nastusia »

Absolutely agree. Everyone who let people from the country that is committing atrocities and genocide to behave like nothing is happening - supports these awful things. The responsibility of russia's actions lies on all its citizens. Are "good" russians scared of being arrested because the protests against the war? Then they are not good. Otherwise they would realize that missiles, loss of home and loved ones, raping by russian soldiers are much more scary. That's the reality of Ukrainians now. And russians are guilty of this.
Buttburp wrote: 27 April 2022, 08:53 I'm disappointed in BGA. It's time for solidarity with Ukraine.
I was off-line for the last two months, but when I came back to play on BGA and found Ruzzian players it felt morally wrong. Here we are, playing a game and Ruzzia is bombing and committing atrocities and threatening WWIII. I'm not saying that the USA, Britain or other countries have not done this. I'm just saying, that just because other countries have committed atrocities, does not mean that it is therefore right to do so.
And as far as I know, USA or the West have never publicly threatened using nukes against other countries, like Putler has.
BGA, stop acting as if nothing is happening and act.
Varoan

Post by Varoan »

Reasonable Russians know they can't take on the Russian police and will at best be rewarded with a fine and worst be sent to die in the gulag. They have a family to support and know that once Putin leaves power life will be better. They are not supporting Putins actions, the government decides what the military does and they have no say in it. Just because you don't act doesn't make you a bad person, it just means you are reasonable and know what you personally are actually capable of doing, and what is fantasy.
Sara2324

Post by Sara2324 »

Bad men gain power when good men do nothing.
tboard

Post by tboard »

Please excuse my ignorance, but why would such a large group of people want to live in an oppressive regime that violates human rights on a daily basis? There are several countries that come to mind when asking this question. I will not name them, but you can probably figure out which ones I am referring to.
voriki

Post by voriki »

tboard wrote: 08 August 2022, 17:09 Please excuse my ignorance, but why would such a large group of people want to live in an oppressive regime that violates human rights on a daily basis?
Whp says they do? Some don't want to live under such a regime, but what other alternatives are there?
tboard

Post by tboard »

I understand that it may not be possible for some to leave, but many certainly can. Two of my former coworkers immigrated to the US from eastern Europe. One was from Ukraine and the other was from Russia. Neither could speak a word of English when they came here, and their families barely had enough money to support themselves. But they made it work. Both people now enjoy very successful careers in finance. They even said themselves that if they could do it, then anybody can. It all depends on how determined you are to reshape your future.
Ze Monstah

Post by Ze Monstah »

tboard wrote: 08 August 2022, 17:09 Please excuse my ignorance, but why would such a large group of people want to live in an oppressive regime that violates human rights on a daily basis? There are several countries that come to mind when asking this question. I will not name them, but you can probably figure out which ones I am referring to.
tboard wrote: 08 August 2022, 22:40 I understand that it may not be possible for some to leave, but many certainly can. Two of my former coworkers immigrated to the US from eastern Europe. One was from Ukraine and the other was from Russia. Neither could speak a word of English when they came here, and their families barely had enough money to support themselves. But they made it work. Both people now enjoy very successful careers in finance. They even said themselves that if they could do it, then anybody can. It all depends on how determined you are to reshape your future.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abortion_ ... ted_States
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_law_i ... ted_States
https://youtu.be/nJ41PBjMSnk
When life gives you a ZeMon, make ZeMonade...
https://youtu.be/YlmKmM3WCpM
dschingis27

Post by dschingis27 »

@tboard. Russia has almost 150 million inhabitants. (This includes e.g. children, mothers, elderly, disabled people.) You really think it's doable that a large amount of them just move away? It's hardly imagninable to foresee all the consequences this would have on a large scale. (Think of education systems, food supply, ...)
Also russians are currently not really the most liked people world-wide, so not sure which countries would be willing to let a large amount of them into their country. What works for a small group of individuals cannot simply work on a large scale.

And regarding the question, why people would want to live in an oppressive regime.. Simple answer: They don't. They are either not aware / not aware enough of the oppression/evil of their regime (you can call them stupid and deny propaganda but propaganda is a real thing that works), or they are aware but don't care enough in the context of other things they would lose. People do not only care about freedom, but also a lot about general security, food supply, a warm home, social contacts, etc. If everything works except for freedom, people will often choose the safe bet and I don't blame them.

But the main thing: The question whether you want to live in a dictatorship or not is not a real question in such dictatorship, that's not how dictatorships work. It wouldn't be an oppressive regime if you were asked your opinion. Look at North Korea or some African countries, I am sure people living there do not want to be oppressed but they simply cannot choose or simply move away. If anyone thinks that people just need to stand up, then I suggest to study more history and study how power structures work.
tboard

Post by tboard »

I only used the US as an example because that is where I'm from. Clearly there are many other countries around the world where people can have a high quality of life.

People are very divisive here when it comes to abortion and gun rights. There are good arguments that can be made on both sides when it comes to these issues. But there is no good excuse for the killing of journalists, genocide, unlawful detention, etc. That is what I was referring to.

Return to “Discussions”