About war in Ukraine

Discussions about BGA (all languages)
Forum rules
Warning: challenging a moderation in Forum = 10 days ban
More info & details about how to challenge a moderation: viewtopic.php?p=119756
robinzig

Re: About war in Ukraine

Post by robinzig »

Thank you, that was a more reasonable response and I will honour it with my final reply here. (Although please don't say what I say "makes no sense" when it's all quite reasonable to me - you're welcome to disagree, and give reasons for disagreeing, but it's on you to point out what's wrong and why. As I have been doing with your posts!)

You are right to bring up the risk of nuclear escalation, and this is definitely something people should take more seriously than they generally do. I genuinely hope our political leaders do!

However, so far at least, Putin's nuclear bark has been much worse than his (thankfully so far nonexistent) bite. He knows that if he starts a nuclear apocalypse he won't just be wiping out the US and Europe, he'll be wiping out Russia too. Horrible though it is to think about, "mutually assured destruction" has been the key thing holding nuclear catastrophe at bay since the 1950s, and while God forbid that we become complacent, there's every reason to believe it still holds good today.

More seriously, what your argument essentially amounts to is "omg he's got nukes, we have no choice but to accept his every demand". What hope would there be for the world if we accepted that logic? Russia and China, maybe North Korea too, would carve up the whole world between them and subject all of humanity to their tyranny. Fantasy you say? In the short term maybe. But we know Xi in China is watching this very closely for clues as to how the West will react if he launches a military invasion of Taiwan - which everyone knows he desperately wants to do. If the West had caved to Putin over Ukraine, there's a strong chance Taiwan would already be under Communist tyranny by now.

Without doubt these are incredibly difficult balances to strike - and the more thoughtful Western leaders are continually balancing them. To respond to one of your earlier posts, I don't see the world in simplistic terms of "good guys" and "bad guys" - America has done plenty of bad stuff that I'm happy to speak out about. But some things - like sticking up for Ukraine - are obviously the right thing to do, and despite the risks, we must not lose sight of the justness of that cause.

Which is why I'm afraid I do smell Russian propaganda when you spend many posts trying to make the ridiculous case that Russia's actions are somehow justified. They are not, in any way.
M44 fan

Post by M44 fan »

the ridiculous case that Russia's actions are somehow justified. They are not, in any way.
You act as if you're writing history. The writing is already on the wall...if you can't see it go ask the blind man. Look/listen, the World is gearing up for War. Doesn't matter who's right or wrong...Justice pffft! Where in this World are you going to find Justice?
Buffalo Sldr

Post by Buffalo Sldr »

Horrible though it is to think about, "mutually assured destruction" has been the key thing holding nuclear catastrophe at bay since the 1950s, and while God forbid that we become complacent, there's every reason to believe it still holds good today.
Similar (if not the same) belief people had after the First World War.
there's every reason to believe it still holds good today.
If that's the way you think...we are doomed for sure. Nukes use to be frowned upon. Only now countries are increasing nuke arsenal.
robinzig

Post by robinzig »

Buffalo Sldr wrote: 13 February 2023, 04:45
there's every reason to believe it still holds good today.
If that's the way you think...we are doomed for sure. Nukes use to be frowned upon. Only now countries are increasing nuke arsenal.
Not sure what you're getting at. I'm very aware of the dangers of nuclear weapons, and countries increasing their supply of them, and pulling out of nuclear reduction talks as has happened recently with Russia and the US, is deeply worrying. I in no way advocate building more of them.

But nor do I support unilateral nuclear disarmament. I'd love a world where nukes didn't exist, but that genie is well and truly out of the bottle and (barring a catastrophe, perhaps caused by said weapons, that sends us back to the stone age) isn't ever going back in. While other countries with whom we are not on friendly terms have nukes, or have the potential to build them, like it or not having nukes of your own is the best defence. I'm pretty sure it's only because of this that no nuclear powers haven't fought a war directly between them since 1945 (and even if it is looking perilously close in 2023, the Western nuclear powers, for precisely this reason, are reluctant to get directly involved).
NATO forces

Post by NATO forces »

reluctant to get directly involved
Are we not already "Directly involved"?

Nukes -The Human that invented the Machinegun, thought he was inventing something that would prevent War. While the TRUE War mongers invented Nukes to promote War (taking it to the next level).
robinzig

Post by robinzig »

NATO forces wrote: 13 February 2023, 20:38 Nukes -The Human that invented the Machinegun, thought he was inventing something that would prevent War. While the TRUE War mongers invented Nukes to promote War (taking it to the next level).
Maybe it's apocryphal, I haven't researched it - but I thought the US started their nuclear program in WWII at the instigation of physicists (including Einstein I believe?) who realised that this technology was possible and that the Western allies had better get their hands on such a weapon before their enemies did. One of the more horrifying "what ifs" of history is what kind of world we would be in now if Hitler had got his hands on nukes first.

[To be super clear in case anyone misunderstands - I'm well aware the US used nukes against Japan, not Germany, who had been defeated before a viable weapon was produced. What I mean is: do we really think Hitler would have killed himself in his Berlin bunker, as the Soviet and US/British armies approached the city, if he'd been able to give an order to launch a nuclear attack? Particularly if he'd actually developed that possibility back in say 1944, as no-one knew for sure at the time he was not doing.]
NATO forces

Post by NATO forces »

Germany did have nuclear know how.

Hitler sent out a Nazi submarine full of uranium oxide along with two Japanese officers and Nuke Schematic, headed for Japan. During transport, German Sub commander turned the sub over to the Allies. In turn America was able to create a Nuclear Bomb from the captured uranium that was meant for the Allies. America might have never been able to build a nuke, if it weren't for Japan, wanting to put it to good use.
Japan eventually got their uranium...in the form of a nuke.
Intense_mind

Post by Intense_mind »

There are many interests there. It's not only about Ukraine and Russia.
player1772

Post by player1772 »

One of the main reasons the US dropped the atomic bomb on Japan was the fact that they knew Japan didn't have one of their own. Fast forward to today, and we now have an indirect war between two nuclear powers. I do want to see Ukraine be victorious against the Russians. But at what cost? Your life? My life? This war needs to end ASAP. There will be no good outcome to this war. If Russia is on the brink of losing the war and they have no other options left, they will turn to nuclear weapons. That is why someone needs to set NATO straight and have them more focused on ending the war peacefully.
Grimwold

Post by Grimwold »

player1772 wrote: 15 February 2023, 23:11 If Russia is on the brink of losing the war and they have no other options left, they will turn to nuclear weapons.
What are your sources of intelligence about this ?

Return to “Discussions”