### moderated and banned ####
IronyFtw

Re: About war in Ukraine

Post by IronyFtw »

###### moderated and banned ##########
SoYouThinkYouCanBan

Post by SoYouThinkYouCanBan »

Such speed. BGA moderators are the best!
wentley

Post by wentley »

It is very seldom that atrocities are not committed by both sides in a war, although not always evenly. At any rate, soldiers on both sides may be encouraged to kill each other in a brutal fashion. But some here seem to be taking this as some sort of blanket moral judgement. Its not intended as such. When someone hurts you, your loved ones, or your country, it would not be surprising if you wished revenge on them, either on or off the battlefield. Its a normal human reaction. Unfortunately its also one which may lead to the war dragging on and on, with both sides inflicting greater losses, pain and perhaps war crimes on each other. Civil wars are particularly liable to continue this way, with Syria as one of the most awful examples. Or closer to my own home, Northern Ireland. Generally such wars only end either with a crushing victory, or when both sides are so sick of the killing, they finally agree to terms.

One way that this kind of hatred continues, is if the combatants or non-combatants on either side are encouraged to believe that everyone on the opposite side is some way 'evil' and the 'enemy'. This is a particularly tempting thought for the side against whom the aggression was committed. And of course, there is no way you can contemplate a peace or an agreement with those 'evil' people, can you? And so the war will go on and on.

That is why I think its not good to encourage the idea that anyone of a particular country playing on BGA should be shunned because of their country's actions that have aroused someone's disapproval. We should not be in the business of inspiring blanket hatred, as it does so much harm.

There may be circumstances (the Second World War is arguably one) where a war may need to be fought to a finish, and a final victory. All too often though, wars drag on achieving nothing but death, destruction and a cycle of hatred. The First World War is the prime example. If both sides had agreed to end the war as soon as it reached a stalemate, millions of lives would have been saved, and all kinds of bad consequences avoided. Fighting the war until the German alliance was defeated achieved very little good. Apart from the huge loss of life, with a generation of young men cut down, many nations were left destabilised, and eventually there was another even more destructive war with Germany. Even though this might have seemed to the winning combatants as the 'just' outcome, as Germany was the aggressor, it ended with bad outcomes for all participants.
player1772

Post by player1772 »

None of us normal people have any control over what people in power do. All we can do is vote. I just hope that the one person the Russians put in power can soon come to his senses.
Buttburp

Post by Buttburp »

Boy this threat sure has bombed, (how do you say that in Ruzzian?) no pun intended...
Maludico

Post by Maludico »

I invite all those who are happy to play here with Russian flags, to read this article about war crimes in Ukraine.

My premium account will not be renewed since i pressed the button 'cancel my subscription'. I can't give money to a neutral place where Russian players are free to play with their flag.

Russian flags are banned from all international competitions. BGA is the only place for playing where i can see Russian guys exhibiting their flag without shame.
gabe69velasquez

Post by gabe69velasquez »

Maludico wrote: 15 October 2022, 11:10 I invite all those who are happy to play here with Russian flags, to read this article about war crimes in Ukraine.

My premium account will not be renewed since i pressed the button 'cancel my subscription'. I can't give money to a neutral place where Russian players are free to play with their flag.

Russian flags are banned from all international competitions. BGA is the only place for playing where i can see Russian guys exhibiting their flag without shame.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interna ... _and_units
https://commons.m.wikimedia.org/wiki/Fi ... emblem.svg
Thank you for the link.
These are to other interesting reads.

*Moderator edit: please do not post links to donation websites.
Raymond Donovan

Post by Raymond Donovan »

this is very cool! You are great fellows! My respect
gabe69velasquez

Post by gabe69velasquez »

#### moderated and banned #####

Return to “Discussions”