About war in Ukraine

Discussions about BGA (all languages)
Forum rules
Warning: challenging a moderation in Forum = 10 days ban
More info & details about how to challenge a moderation: viewtopic.php?p=119756
Buttburp

Re: About war in Ukraine

Post by Buttburp »

The key word here is "critical-mass." There are many dissidents/opponents of Putin and his fascist dictatorship (Z is half of a Swastika) within Russia. What needs to happen for real change to occur, is that enough citizens of Russia, tire or suffer, to the point of wanting a new government.
As Machiavelli states in "The Prince" (Paraphrased), <Citizens will surely revolt against the Prince if they lack food, shelter or security.> Therefore, placing sanctions on Russia, be it by closing businesses or not purchasing their products, will help in attaining an angered critical-mass to overthrow their corrupt government.
This is why BGA should join the sanctions like other, more principled businesses, have done. Putting pressure on the citizens, indirectly puts pressure on their government and system. "Never was anything great achieved without danger." <Machiavelli>
But, perhaps BGA prefers to operate to this quote from Machiavelli <Of mankind we may say in general they are fickle, hypocritical, and greedy of gain.>
player1772

Post by player1772 »

I found some videos on this topic and wanted to share them. The first video is a presentation given by Professor John Mearsheimer from the University of Chicago. He believes that the United States and NATO are principally responsible for the war in Ukraine. See below for the full video.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qciVozNtCDM&t=233s

This second video is a rebuttal to the first video. This video features former Finnish Prime Minister Alexander Stubbs, who also happens to be an academic professor. He basically disagrees with everything Mearsheimer says. See below for the video.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vlB-pRqdyBg

What are your thoughts? Who is right here?
CharlieReddog

Post by CharlieReddog »

One country's troops are currently within the border of another country. You work out who's in the wrong there.
PappyGarcia

Post by PappyGarcia »

CharlieReddog wrote: 21 August 2022, 11:42 One country's troops are currently within the border of another country. You work out who's in the wrong there.
It's so hard for some people to look at things simply. I would imagine the people bombing and raping would probably be at fault.
voriki

Post by voriki »

PappyGarcia wrote: 22 August 2022, 04:11 bombing and raping
The bombing is a direct order, so that can be blamed on certain individuals that are in charge.
The raping - and I am going to be very very careful about this - is an act that is deplorable, but mostly decided on the field by individual soldiers, and perhaps their commanders. They aren't ordered to do so by the generals or by their president... as far as we know.
These are cruel actions done by soldiers who gain personal enjoyment out of this, just because they can get away with it. Certainly not every single (Russian) soldier will lower themselves to these actions.

Those who do resort to any form of inhumane treatment should be punished more severely than those who are only strictly following the orders from above to do the bombing.
player1772

Post by player1772 »

As I have stated in my previous post, I am not trying to downplay the deplorable actions taken by Russia against Ukraine. There is plenty of video evidence showing massive amounts of war crimes being committed. However, it is important to understand how the war began. Who is ultimately responsible for starting the war? Is Russia really the aggressor?

If the Cubans got friendly with the Russians and allowed them in their country, do you think the Americans would sit idly by? History has shown that this was unacceptable to the American government. Why should NATO expect anything different from the Russian side? Do you not see the double standard here? This is not just a geopolitical struggle, but also a threat to Russia's survival since the Ukrainian/Russian border is so close to Moscow. You don't need to be a scholar in international relations (offensive realism) to understand this.

And no, NATO is not just a defensive alliance. All you need to do is look at recent events to see this for yourself. The media has not been truthful when speaking about NATO in this regard.

I agree that countries should have the freedom to choose whichever alliance they want to belong to. But like everything else in life, actions have consequences. If you're situated near a large bear, you shouldn't poke it with a stick and not expect it to react.
Buttburp

Post by Buttburp »

Player1772, I understand your measured approach and careful attitude towards this conflict. But if you read the articles in the NATO alliance, article 5 is plainly clear: "Its commitment clause defines the casus foederis. It commits each member state to consider an armed attack against one member state, in Europe or North America, to be an armed attack against them all."(from Wikipedia)

There are also member states that have an agreement not to base American troops or nuclear weapons in their territory or to conduct military operations(training) there, unless authorized by their country to do so. These are mainly Scandinavian countries. Placing nuclear weapons or even missile shields near their borders can be construed as an act of aggression. This is something Russia needs to negotiate, with words, not with force.
Did you know that during the Clinton administration, Russia asked to become a NATO member? They were granted a special status!

The Cuban Missile crisis, was a direct threat to the US, as ballistic missiles were going to be positioned there, with possible nuclear warheads. Not Russian troops, as you eluded. I would think that the US would not worry too much if only Russian troops were stationed in Cuba or even Mexico for that matter. An invasion of the US by Russia or even Russia by the US, is not just unthinkable.. but impossible! That's why they call it NUCLEAR DETERRENCE.
That either side could neutralize 1000's of ICBM's on the enemy territory prior to an invasion is statistically impossible! Not just that, there are nuclear submarines that guarantee retaliation.
Russia is just using the perceived "threat" to Moscow as an excuse to prevent it's neighbors from joining a defensive alliance. Why? Why not? you cannot expand your borders to become what was former USSR if those countries are allied to NATO. The invasion of Ukraine, just proved that. Russia has been threatening it's bordering countries since the collapse of the USSR. Georgia? Chechnya? Look it up!
Was Russia not sending "green men" into Crimea in 2014? What country is claiming to fight fascism, while looking the part? What country is wanting former glory, feels ridiculed, and wants more for itself? Sound familiar? 1936-ish?
ehiztari

Post by ehiztari »

Hi,
please create an option to exclude players from Russia from the game. I believe that citizens of this country should be excluded from the platform due to their attack on Ukraine.
monkeyml

Post by monkeyml »

I just made a new topic because I cant unerstand why is the russian flag not prohibited here??? such a symbol of terror. I have no interest to play against player thet proudly put this flag as an avatar.

If BGA dont prohibit russian flag on its site, it means for me,that they support russian terror in ukraine.

SLAVA UKRAINI!
monkeyml

Post by monkeyml »

ehiztari wrote: 24 August 2022, 10:23 Hi,
please create an option to exclude players from Russia from the game. I believe that citizens of this country should be excluded from the platform due to their attack on Ukraine.
absolutely. I support this opinion!

Return to “Discussions”