People can just quit games instead of discard cards when killed

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/bugs
LegioSparta

People can just quit games instead of discard cards when killed

Post by LegioSparta »

Greetings!

I keep meeting people, especially in a 1v1 final duel, who disconnect instead of discarding their cards, this means that they actually lose the game but also damage the winner with a half-way victory, this thing needs a fix.

I am also available to assist in resolving these unpleasant situations if you wish.
Tisaac

Re: People can just quit games instead of discard cards when killed

Post by Tisaac »

Go ahead, the code is open on the studio and in gihtub.
And this is not a bug, player are suffering karma lost if they leave without finishing the game, this has nothing to do with the discard last step, they could as well dont react to your last attack and leave too.
LegioSparta

Post by LegioSparta »

I didn't know it was open source, I'll check it out thanks!

You are right, this is not the only situation where it can happen.
diamant

Post by diamant »

Tisaac wrote: 15 March 2022, 18:34 Go ahead, the code is open on the studio and in gihtub.
And this is not a bug, player are suffering karma lost if they leave without finishing the game, this has nothing to do with the discard last step, they could as well dont react to your last attack and leave too.
The bug is that unnecessary actions are performed and sometimes required when the game is over.

In fact, the control of the end-of-game conditions should be carried out immediately after the elimination of a player, and not after futile operations when the game is over, such as the discarding of cards or the transfer of cards to Sam the Vulture.

It is normal for players to leave finished games without discarding their cards, because it is useless and they assume that the game is correctly implemented. Penalizing these players, as well as the winning teams, is abnormal.
voriki

Post by voriki »

diamant wrote: 16 March 2022, 20:42
Tisaac wrote: 15 March 2022, 18:34 Go ahead, the code is open on the studio and in gihtub.
The bug is that unnecessary actions are performed and sometimes required when the game is over.
Choosing in which order to discard cards is because of Pedro, but sadly it activates all the time, and not only in Pedro-games.
diamant

Post by diamant »

Choosing in which order to discard cards is because of Pedro, but sadly it activates all the time, and not only in Pedro-games.
A player can always choose the discard order of his cards in a real game, so I find it normal to have this possibility on BGA, even for games without Pedro Ramirez.
The discard pile receives cards with blue edges played, the faces of which are visible, but when a player discards several cards, the rule does not specify that he discards them one by one and that the other players can see what he discarded.
So, choosing the discard order allows you to determine which card will be visible to other players.
Last edited by diamant on 17 March 2022, 20:47, edited 1 time in total.
Tisaac

Post by Tisaac »

diamant wrote: 16 March 2022, 20:42

In fact, the control of the end-of-game conditions should be carried out immediately after the elimination of a player, and not after futile operations when the game is over, such as the discarding of cards or the transfer of cards to Sam the Vulture.

It is normal for players to leave finished games without discarding their cards, because it is useless and they assume that the game is correctly implemented. Penalizing these players, as well as the winning teams, is abnormal.
The game is not telling them it's over, end of story. They can assume anything they want and complain about the game being poorly designed, it's still up to them to check when the game is over and final end game screen is displayed. So again, that's really not a bug but of course there are room for suggestions and improvements. However as i explained several times, i wont make them personnaly so everyone please feel free to hop in and implement these improvements.
diamant

Post by diamant »

Tisaac wrote: 17 March 2022, 16:01The game is not telling them it's over, end of story.
When I say that the game is over, I refer to the end-of-game conditions as defined in the game rules.

You argue that the instruction is the instruction, and that the players must behave on BGA as you intended, but you will always find a small percentage of players who, for one reason or another, will not follow a instruction that seems to be disconnected from the rule. And this small percentage is enough for game results to be affected and disappointed players talk about it.
PhilDeFer98

Post by PhilDeFer98 »

I know there are some games where there is a timeout for some action, that prevent blocking the game if the player doesn't realize he has to do something (Celestia for example).
So in that case, the discard card default option could be automatic if the player didn't act in, let's say 10 seconds.
Asmuth

Post by Asmuth »

The prompt makes for awful games, I've had dozens where you play a full game and then the last person just stops playing instead of discarding their cards. While they still get the loss, it robs the rightful people of the win and wastes everyone's time. It should discard in a default orderif there is not a response instead of hanging the entire game.

Return to “Bang”