[Dev] Display hidden hint ?

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/#!bugs
Sombracier

[Dev] Display hidden hint ?

Post by Sombracier »

Hi,

I enjoy playing Hanabi online. The gaming experience fits to the real game, even better hints are easily noticeable. We learn to get better with many online random teamates.

At first, I enjoyed (and still do) all of it. Then I notice that getting the clues written down in the interface mentally prevent me from doing something I do in real life, to try to remember the opposites intel the hint gave me.

For example, when someone tells me I got two 5, that also means the three others cards are not 5. Pretty obvious. But the game doesn't currently display it.

With several hints combined, there are cards on which we may have enough "opposite hints" to deduce what they are, and thus not requiring extra hints on them. Either for our own cards than for a teamate's hand.

Should we do it or would it spoil the game ? We may wonder why implement such extra feature : as the interface design deliberately choose to keep displayed the hinted information, they may also logically display the opposite. I think it won't spoil more the game (if ever ...) that the hint already does, so no problem.

How to implement it ? That's an other question to be answered by the development team. One way to go would be :
1) as the hints are displayed UP the cards, the opposites may be displayed BELOW them
2) either to display what we know the cards aren't, or what they still may be.
- The first option keeps tracks of intels told to teamates, because we already know what their cards are, but we would wish to know what teamates know themselves about their own hands.
- The second options is less confusing with the original hint system. Getting "3 4 5 " down a card also means it s a valid odd, as getting a "5" up the cards. It may also automatically deduce intels from others players hands and the discard pile. which we do usually mentally. But then this intel should be private which is an issue with the game mechanics.
3) This option may not be mandatory if implemented as such, as a game option or a personnal interface parameter option.
master of bluff

Re: [Dev] Display hidden hint ?

Post by master of bluff »

hi we call it negative hints . we asked them to add it alot , even talked to publishers they werent against it but bga didnt do it anyway , if you want to see an example of how to show neg hints go to hanabi .live they have neg hints

Return to “Hanabi”