list the interesting combos you have tried in this game that are blocked by obscure rules

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/bugs
Andreainpa

list the interesting combos you have tried in this game that are blocked by obscure rules

Post by Andreainpa »

It seems like almost every time I play this game, I try to do something that seems legal and get blocked by the software rules. For example, in my last game, in round 5 - the income round, I upgraded my invention card so that I got the benefit of a square in my top row invention cards. I chose the square that lets you play a tapestry card over your last tapestry card, or so I thought. It turns out, although nothing is mentioned about this on the card that you can't actually do this. However, it was too late - I lost my square benefit to something that I wasn't allowed to do. This is very frustrating.

Similarly, I have tried to use the combination where on the science track you get to take the benefit of any of your other cubes on any other track. When I used that to upgrade my invention card with the same benefit as the science track to the top row, I lost that upgrade because apparently you cannot twice take the benefit of the same cube. Again, there is no mention of this on the card. Perhaps it is buried somewhere in the rule book.

There seem to be a lot of combinations I have tried that fail like this. Anybody else have this issue?
Chilon

Re: list the interesting combos you have tried in this game that are blocked by obscure rules

Post by Chilon »

Those are general rules, not obscure ones; they apply to multiple situations, whereas only rules specific to an action are usually described in that action's text. But for example, there is a general rule that is only mentioned in the specific text related to Nuclear Bomb, so there are exceptions.

Printing Press says "Play a tapestry card on top of your current tapestry." However, as soon as you begin an income turn, you are now in a new era. The card you tried to overwrite was from a previous era.

As to the second instance: no advancement space may be activated more than once in a player's turn. Actually, that one might qualify as obscure, because I believe it wasn't made official until Arts & Architecture.

The general problem that you are experiencing is probably this: Tapestry has a lot of small rules, and the rulebook is not written or organized well (Sorry Jamey, but it's true!). For example, there are rules which only appear in the help sheet or flavor text.
BoardGameDan

Re: list the interesting combos you have tried in this game that are blocked by obscure rules

Post by BoardGameDan »

Played Science 11 (2x Tech/Exp/Military)
Used both in Tech, got to upgrade tech, upgraded tech to top row to allow me to repeat an action where my cube was.
Tried to select Science 11 so I could go up twice on the military track, but the game blocked it.
Couldn't undo as I'd drawn a tech card...
Very annoying!
jm3

Post by jm3 »

I feel most problematic when randomness and these rules meet.

Any combination of T11/S11/E11-12 and Li-ion batteries is a bad thing. And when you need S11 to advance twice or T11 to repeat a E11, there is really a bad thing then going E11 will grant you tech advancement, but by doing so you cannot move T10->T11 to repeat that field. Same with S9/11. Especially that the other option might be 8 points+dice role and you roll the same thing. Not cool.

But things I hate more are bugs, some even long term, that kills challenge. Like when you are having Militarism active and no more outposts to land, game just won´t let you explore a tile and bugs the action completely. Costed me 26 points and probably a 2nd place in arena game, because my tapestry-unlucky Nomads were having last 5 resources and needed to go E7->E8, explore for 4 points, grab last brown house, score it, sell tiles and seize the newly explored tile with that house. Got fcked and needed to play T7 to grant myself at least SOME points...

Same is long bug when you are playing Marriage of State on opponents E track and he manages to either do S11 and advance E11+12 or goes E11+rolls E12 from the space tile with dice roll, you are getting benefits IN OPPOSITE order = E12 first (where you have nothing to explore of course) and only afterwards E11, where you get to explore only 1 then. No idea how this not got fixed over such a long time.

If you all be that kind and upvote issues in bug parts of Tapestry, it would be nice. The first one really made me question my premium membership, as I was super annoyed.

Return to “Tapestry”