Why are people so obsessed with no telling roles?

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/bugs
Jellby

Re: Why are people so obsessed with no telling roles?

Post by Jellby »

ChiefPointThief wrote: 30 March 2023, 15:31 I don't know if you play spades but I know jellby does. In the example I provided it would be the equivalent of player d and e being on teams and player d playing a club. Player d then says, "Why did you play clubs. Do you remember earlier in the hand I didn't have a heart?". They don't have to literally say I'm void on hearts. Go to hearts so we can win. In both scenarios they are telling them what cards to play by telling them what not to do.
OK, so your problem is not about giving information about roles ("don't do that, I'm the vice"), but about giving some kind of advice about what to play ("playing that card was not a good idea"). If that's the case, I see your point, but given the differences between the games, I don't think the analogy with spades goes much farther.

I think "why do you play a bang" is equivalent to "why do you attack me", not about that particular card at this particular moment, so it's not really giving any information. Would you consider it cheating if I (who may or may not be the vice) say to the sheriff "don't kill [third player] yet", before the sheriff plays? I wouldn't, it's just part of the game. Now, saying "don't kill [x] yet, I can do it my turn with [y card]", would probably be against the rules, but borderline... (after all, I can still be lying).
PeasCarrots

Post by PeasCarrots »

Well the whole point of the game it's to keep your role secret and reveal your intentions through your actions. The game would be meaningless if everyone knew each others role. If you reveal your role before others find out then you destroy the whole point of the game and remove all the fun.
Jellby

Post by Jellby »

And the point is that saying that you have some particular role is not revealing your role, because there's no reason it should be true. That is completely different from showing your card.
ChiefPointThief

Post by ChiefPointThief »

Jellby wrote: 30 March 2023, 17:36 I think "why do you play a bang" is equivalent to "why do you attack me", not about that particular card at this particular moment, so it's not really giving any information.
I am being technical based off of the FAQ page that was posted. I am not speaking about hypothetical scenarios but ones I've experienced while playing and players are asking questions about the playing of cards which it says not to do. I understand that players could word it differently so it isn't in question form but why would speaking in code suddenly make it acceptable? If that is the case then it should just be legal to ask questions about the playing of cards outright.
ChiefPointThief

Post by ChiefPointThief »

Jellby wrote: 30 March 2023, 17:36 Would you consider it cheating if I (who may or may not be the vice) say to the sheriff "don't kill [third player] yet", before the sheriff plays? I wouldn't, it's just part of the game. Now, saying "don't kill [x] yet, I can do it my turn with [y card]", would probably be against the rules, but borderline... (after all, I can still be lying).
Yes I would consider it cheating. The lying aspect can be taken out of majority of scenarios. If someone has been attacking the sheriff the whole game and someone has been protecting the sheriff all game it is safe to say one is the renegade and one is the vice. My issue with your scenario is based on a multitude of things (card counting, how many bullets someone has, the characters, public knowledge of cards players have based on general store or special character abilities, what is in play etc.) the vice could be telling the sheriff what cards they have in their hands. Hopefully you get the gist of what I am trying to say w/o me giving every example possible. Lets say the renegade has 2 bullets left and the vice says to the sheriff I will kill him on my turn. Now you are telling the sheriff what cards you have in your hand. With all of the info I just mentioned the sheriff can say to themselves, "the vice must have this and this to eliminate player c. The sheriff has to use their head in this scenario but it is basically no different than if the vice laid 2 duels on the table and told the sheriff don't worry about player c I'll take care of them on my turn.

Return to “Bang”