Why are people so obsessed with no telling roles?

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/bugs
Aoimoku

Why are people so obsessed with no telling roles?

Post by Aoimoku »

Average bang game be like:

- Me, deputy, warn sheriff that he shouldn't shoot me because I'm on his side
- Sheriff start shooting me like hell
- "Wtf sheriff???"
- The caveman with a star gibbers "you have said your role it's against the rules now die!!!!!"

Pardon me? Since when would saying your role be against the rules? Or even bluffing about it? It's a game with hidden roles, bluff or truth is a core part of it. Maybe in Secret Hitler the fascists should be crystal and say "I'm fas, never trust me and kill me when you can"? Or even worse all players should be silent?
voriki

Re: Why are people so obsessed with no telling roles?

Post by voriki »

Saying your role isn't against the rules, lying about it is not against the rules.
Remaining respectful however is required.
StoneyMaloney

Post by StoneyMaloney »

While not a written rule, telling roles takes away a significant challenge written into the game that some appreciate, including me. This element is the need to read players moves to identify their role so you can target appropriately, usually how the first couple of rounds are spent. When all players know roles, the game is still viable, but becomes a bit simpler and, for some, not as fun. This is really something that should be decided across the table before play. If not agreed upon by all, I would consider it unsportsmanlike for any players to privately share roles.
GeraldineMerida

Post by GeraldineMerida »

PRIVATELY sharing rules is of course unsportsmanlike. (I would actually consider it cheating.) PUBLICLY sharing a role (actual or bluff) is totally part of the game. And there is just as much deduction in figuring out who is telling the truth as there is in reading roles from actions in the first couple of rounds.

If someone shot me for claiming a role, I'd red thumb them.
Vollys

Post by Vollys »

Yes telling roles is totally against rules and sportsmanship. The game is played with hidden roles (only sheriff is visible) by purpose of creators not just coincidence. I hate it when the game begins sheriff starting to jail/cat baldu/panic all players and there must be always someone "crying vice" saying omg sheriff I m with you/I m vice/ etc. I know that someone can bluff but in 99% it´s real vice.
Don t get me wrong but when you are outlaw at 5 players and vice recognize himself to avoid sheriff attck the game is lost (also for renegade).... the same is at 7 players where there are 2 vices.
It´s game so don´t ruin it when sheriff hit you just cause you are vice.... Play as vice and sheriff will see in 1 2 round who is with and against him. By telling roles you are totally killing the game.
Asmuth

Post by Asmuth »

Nah, it's a sheriff that plays like that on turn one that kills the game. People can say their whatever role they want, it's their actions you have to read to see if you believe them. Most people are going to say they are vice, and most of the time thy are lying...that's part of the game.
Yorgad

Post by Yorgad »

Already adressed here:
https://boardgamearena.com/forum/viewto ... 52&t=25763

Yes it's allowed to "tell" roles (i.e. chat or talk), it's not allowed to "reveal" roles unless you're sheriff or dead (i.e. explicitely show your card). Whoever says opposite lives in a parallel world, or are using house rules (that need to be collectively agreed upon).

Cheers,
Y.
AVTactics

Post by AVTactics »

You guys dont really compare offline and online experience - its different. Bluffing on roles is fun in real, in offline. Online gameplay brings a bit different experience and its better to avoid any kind of role talk
ChiefPointThief

Post by ChiefPointThief »

Vollys wrote: 13 April 2022, 10:35 Yes telling roles is totally against rules and sportsmanship. The game is played with hidden roles (only sheriff is visible) by purpose of creators not just coincidence. I hate it when the game begins sheriff starting to jail/cat baldu/panic all players and there must be always someone "crying vice" saying omg sheriff I m with you/I m vice/ etc. I know that someone can bluff but in 99% it´s real vice.
Don t get me wrong but when you are outlaw at 5 players and vice recognize himself to avoid sheriff attck the game is lost (also for renegade).... the same is at 7 players where there are 2 vices.
It´s game so don´t ruin it when sheriff hit you just cause you are vice.... Play as vice and sheriff will see in 1 2 round who is with and against him. By telling roles you are totally killing the game.
Couldn't agree more
pookie_wocket

Post by pookie_wocket »

I have played Bang many times in real life. In those games, it's always been fine for players to speak up about roles. In fact, it's quite common for one player to say "I'm the deputy!" and another to say "He's lying, I'm the deputy!" It seems to be an acceptable part of the game.

However, when I have attempted things like this in BGA Bang it has not been well-received. I guess that's the etiquette online. So now I just go with it and don't really say anything. It's not worth having the table get mad at you.

Return to “Bang”