Glow Strategy Guide

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/bugs
sorryimlikethis

Glow Strategy Guide

Post by sorryimlikethis »

Hi everyone. Now that Glow has come out of beta I'm sure it's going to get a bit more attention from newer players. I made this guide a few months ago and reached #1 following it.

https://youtu.be/XuwtuYStwTM

To make a quick summary...
Braccio and Taetyss are the only 2 adventurers with a win rate higher than their pick rate. In high ELO 2 player games these will be the only two adventurers picked. Noctiluca can be a decent 3rd option.

Re-roll tokens are needed unless you can naturally roll well. Taetyss gives these from the beginning but Braccio can be combined with any of the 3 companions that give these efficiently. Okans (wolfy leaf man) and Braccio are way too strong together for this reason. Losing points to re-roll dice in the first few rounds while saving re-roll tokens for the late game is the optimal strategy. Don't be scared to go all the way to 0 points in the first couple of rounds, you'll catch up later (but also don't overdo it and stay on 0 points for the first 6 rounds).

Mostly ignore the 20 point camp site on the map, it's not worth the effort to travel there. The 15 point camp site is much easier to get to and allows you to collect enough fireflies on the way by abusing the map. The route for that is illustrated in the video.

Work on your companion synergies first and worry about quantity of dice later.

Good luck everyone :)
Le007n

Re: Glow Strategy Guide

Post by Le007n »

This is pretty much all you need to know about board one for this game :)

Definitely the best route, and with braccio, all the green dice fit perfectly with the starting spaces

Get the companions which reward you for not getting colours early on like the six points for no red and light blue and the scores can be crazy

And, if you must go for the 20 point camp (as many like to do), you don't have to race there in four turns and use all you footprints. There's no prizes for first to the gate

I would recommend playing it with random character selection. It already gives it a bit of variety and prevents a rinse and repeat approach to each game
Last edited by Le007n on 07 April 2022, 08:32, edited 1 time in total.
sorryimlikethis

Post by sorryimlikethis »

Really good point about not wasting footprints, it's something I see a lot of players do. Racing for the 20 pt camp is unnecessary like you said. The most common route used to get there takes 5 points away from you as well which makes it worse than the 15 pt site.

I'm not sure how I feel about random adventurers. I love the idea of having to adapt to what you get and having a better knowledge of all the companions helping give you an edge. But I would be pretty upset if I got stuck with Eoles while my opponent got Braccio. In 2 player games if Braccio and Taetyss are picked at least both players have a fighting chance to win, probably 50/50. If there were some balance changes I'd be all for it.
Le007n

Post by Le007n »

You are right, in that scenario it wouldn't be much of a game

I found that I was quickly doing the same actions game after after so it at least game it some variety and replayability

A suggestion to combat this might be too have one or more further variants where:

- players can pick the same character
- random character and all players are the same character

Option one would just mean 4 braccio's in 90% of games :)

Option two would give some variety but take away the advantage of strong vs weak pick. I'm sure most players wouldn't mind being yellow of everyone else was in the same boat! It would also create more competition for the braccio friendly cards if everyone wanted these!

Return to “Glow”