New games list page

What's new on BGA ?
i_am_ignis

Re: New games list page

Post by i_am_ignis »

The new interface for the games page looks weird. Incredibly huge tiles with games distract attention, but the names and descriptions of the games still do not always fit, the page scrolls down, and the lines to the side, when you hover the cursor, the game tile increases, closing the game below and there is no way to avoid this increase, no matter where you hover the cursor. And it's all slashed by banners of (unsolicited) recommendations that are just galactic in size - a full page wide and a third high.
Using such an interface is inconvenient, please revert to the previous version!
Jellby

Post by Jellby »

For me, the worst part is the hover effect with the popup. It's distracting, not useful, and covers the game below, so one needs to be very careful where one leaves the mouse cursor...
EpicWAX

Post by EpicWAX »

Je trouve la bande blanche et le bandeau contenant le nom des jeux particulièrement laid. Autant sur la bar de recherche enrichie ça allait parce qu'on y était a peine confronter, mais la c'est trop.

C'est vraiment hyper blanc, j'ai l'impression d’être mort en voyant cette page, le site avec quelque chose de simple et de chaleureux avant qui va se perdre au détriment d'un modernisme froids.

Ajouter un option d'affichage sombre ne serai pas un mauvaise idée.

il y a cependant des bonne idée mais le résultat ne me plais pas pour le moment.
cigma

Post by cigma »

All in all, the new design gives the site a fresh look, but needs some adjustments. Generally change to a smaller view (and remember each users choice of size), scroll vertically and use alphabetic sort. Remove the white banner and place the name of the game below the image. Open the pop-up only by click. Allow to open the game info page in a new tab (as before). Remove the „advertising“ banner.

In addition I think that there are too many pre-filtered groups. This makes it too busy and uneasy to handle. Please consider reducing the number of them. Personally I would prefer only to see „Play again“, „Newest games“ and „Beta games“. Maybe you could personalize this part of the site? So everyone can choose which of theese groups are constantly shown for them. In case someone needs one of the other filters, they can search manually.
#zan_zendegi_azadi / #woman_life_freedom
#StandWithUkraine
Language is a source of misunderstanding. (Antoine de Saint-Exupery: The Little Prince) But it is also the source of understanding - it all depends on how you use it. :-)
L00n

Post by L00n »

Jellby wrote: 09 April 2022, 17:38 For me, the worst part is the hover effect with the popup. It's distracting, not useful, and covers the game below, so one needs to be very careful where one leaves the mouse cursor...
I came here to say exactly this. I want to look over the list and a quarter of it is covered by whatever I happen to mouse over. The popup covers more than just one other game; it covers significant parts of all 8 adjacent games. The popup effect is not needed at all.

In addition, the list should be far more compact so we can see more games at once on the screen. When I look at the list, my goal is to pick one, quickly.

After posting, I see both of these issues are getting attention. I look forward to some good changes!
cigma

Post by cigma »

cigma wrote: 10 April 2022, 13:39 In addition I think that there are too many pre-filtered groups. This makes it too busy and uneasy to handle.
Thinking about this again, I yet have another idea: What about only showing the titles (buttons) of the pre-filtered groups? So only if you are klicking on one of these titles, the referring games are shown. And with one klick you can go back to the overview with all the buttons.
#zan_zendegi_azadi / #woman_life_freedom
#StandWithUkraine
Language is a source of misunderstanding. (Antoine de Saint-Exupery: The Little Prince) But it is also the source of understanding - it all depends on how you use it. :-)
monicav

Post by monicav »

I have many of the same concerns as others here about the new games page, it is not as user friendly and efficient as the previous version to the point where I now actively try to avoid that page altogether.

I would appreciate a way to select a more simple interface with just the box art and the title of the game which also allows for more titles to be shown at once. Even on the small setting each icon is still huge and the whole interface shows very few games which as the site is expanding its offerings so much more quickly these days seems really counterintuitive. Also for some of the titles the art chosen as the background is so covered by the white bar and text that it doesn't offer any meaningful identification of the game being shown.

Also as an alpha reviewer I really miss having all of the alpha titles listed within that same page, and not just the ones in which I'm participating. It was a fun way to see what was coming up at a glance. That's trivial but still missed.
T72on1

Post by T72on1 »

monicav wrote: 12 April 2022, 09:05 Also as an alpha reviewer I really miss having all of the alpha titles listed within that same page, and not just the ones in which I'm participating. It was a fun way to see what was coming up at a glance. That's trivial but still missed.
You know you can still see the full list of alpha games through the following link, right? https://boardgamearena.com/reviewer
el cosimo

Post by el cosimo »

T72on1 wrote: 12 April 2022, 13:44
monicav wrote: 12 April 2022, 09:05 Also as an alpha reviewer I really miss having all of the alpha titles listed within that same page, and not just the ones in which I'm participating. It was a fun way to see what was coming up at a glance. That's trivial but still missed.
You know you can still see the full list of alpha games through the following link, right? https://boardgamearena.com/reviewer
It is an extra step, now you need to change select box also to get order to see newest at top. That page could be better, just a button to start playing, see how many times played, …
Azirophos

Post by Azirophos »

As I have written (similarily) in an other thread:

That page is a lot less user friendly now! A lot!

The game icons are less distinct, you can't open a few games in an other tab while browsing through the list (only if you right-click very quickly), and the page generally feels less clear now. The new design manages to worsen nearly every important marker for a good UI, especially when it comes to speed of use and clarity. E.g., the white stripes are way too dominant and hinder you at looking for a game's icon, and tbh I am getting a headache just looking at the page for longer than a few seconds.

Return to “BGA release notes”