New games list page

What's new on BGA ?
cigma

Re: New games list page

Post by cigma »

GeraldineMerida wrote: 07 April 2022, 16:52 I only use the games page to see what's new in Beta/fully launched games since my last visit. Now it's pretty hard to spot that among all the shiny, useless stuff.

I particularly hate the HUGE banner recommending I try a game I've already played on BGA several times.

Can I disable your recommendations to me forever?
I agree completely!
#zan_zendegi_azadi / #woman_life_freedom
#StandWithUkraine
Language is a source of misunderstanding. (Antoine de Saint-Exupery: The Little Prince) But it is also the source of understanding - it all depends on how you use it. :-)
Amrimi

Post by Amrimi »

Kuzai wrote: 07 April 2022, 17:01 I like the filters at the top, but not a fan of the all white background compared to the wood/brown that was there before (and is currently on other pages). It makes the page feel washed out, and since the game names are also surrounded by a white border, it all blends together a bit worse.

Also, can an option please be added to allow the game names to be under the game box images again for readability?
I completely agree. The new filter options are really nice but the look of the page is horrible and far less accessible then bevor. To much color that takes away the attention from the information.
doctorlucky

Post by doctorlucky »

Amrimi wrote: 07 April 2022, 21:49
Kuzai wrote: 07 April 2022, 17:01 I like the filters at the top, but not a fan of the all white background compared to the wood/brown that was there before (and is currently on other pages). It makes the page feel washed out, and since the game names are also surrounded by a white border, it all blends together a bit worse.

Also, can an option please be added to allow the game names to be under the game box images again for readability?
I completely agree. The new filter options are really nice but the look of the page is horrible and far less accessible then bevor. To much color that takes away the attention from the information.
Agreed! Poor choices
Hefe

Post by Hefe »

In addition to the "small" choice, I'd like to see one that removes the banner art and just leaves the box image. These are games, not movies. I don't need it to look like Netflix.

Also, can we have a choice to stop auto-expanding the game details when the mouse goes over the image? This is a trend on sites and interfaces that drives me crazy. If I want more info, let me click. The auto-popping up is frustrating.

Simple is better.
justinbragdon

Post by justinbragdon »

I agree with the above comments... very visually busy & hard to quickly scan games. I much prefer a picture of the game box with the name above or below, like it used to be. It would also be nice to see which games I have already added to my favorites or other list. The new system (and I realize it is not in the final state) may be quicker to load, but it is much slower to actually use. It is a good thing I have already populated my favorites list so I can easily pick out my next games to learn & play.

Will there be more "categories" of games? It seems that there are numerous popular games that do not show up in any of the categories to scroll through.

I do not pretend to understand all the work that goes on to build these systems and frameworks. The games list as shown is not a functional or visual improvement. Maybe with some revisions it can be. Thank you for continually updating the site and encouraging growth, especially during the time of Covid. BGA is amazing and I highly recommend it to everyone that I think may enjoy it (one of my friends signed up premium today). Keep up the good work!
Gamelovah

Post by Gamelovah »

Good morning to everyone!
Today, I have noticed that the interface for the "Games" Page has changed. I really appreciate the effort you put into this website, which is the best one across the Internet when dealing with Board Games; for this reason, I want to provide some feedback about the User Experience:
- The interface of the "Games" Page is incoherent with the rest of the website; I suppose it is because you are updating the whole website one piece at a time, but for the moment it does not seem a BGA Page, it seems to be redirected somewhere else; :?:
- The Page is rather slower than the rest of the website, especially when you scroll and find an highlighted game (those displaying a live game);
- Personally, I would move the Search Bar next to the game tags (example of game tags: "Best for 2 players", "For Families", ...). :mrgreen:
By placing it on the top-left, I would think that the Search Bar is not for searching games, but for searching something else in the website. :?:
- In general, it could be useful to have the possibility to choose the language of the website (maybe placing a flag next to "Friends" icon on the top-right of the page) :idea:
In any case, thank you very much for your contribution in making people come in contact with great and funny board games! :D :D :D :D
Shobu

Post by Shobu »

ufm wrote: 06 April 2022, 19:13 Now only alpha games that you have joined their player group are displayed.
To find others, check reviewer page from community tab.
wow....

So many changes, i hope they didn't consider removing the wooden background
ColHogan

Post by ColHogan »

Thanks for the effort, unfortunately basic design principles were missed.
We browse things, and rarely read. in fact we browse in an F pattern, so many items on the page are missed. We also expect a known sort-order, usually alpha-sort.
  • I believe if you flipped this on it's side and made the lists alpha-sort, you'd immediately have an improved UI. let the user pick or change which columns, with a default of Play Again, New, and Popular. perhaps a 4th column where I can select from a drop down of other popular filters.
  • You could take it a step further and make the boxes smaller and move the game title off of the graphic. That would also give you an immediate improvement on readability -- easy to scan down a column.
  • I think the hover info is a nice value-add, but sometimes it gets in the way. Maybe with the smaller graphics, that would be enough to just keep the hover over it. And of course, if I'm on mobile device, hover isn't even an option.
Some usability testing would be highly recommended overall, but particularly with the hover feature.
soporificeffect

Post by soporificeffect »

It's great that you are working on changing the site's UX (although I like it just fine as it is), and the new player panel is pretty good.
But the new games page is just horrible. Even when using small grid, the icons are too big, and the fact that game name basically covers half of the art it also bad.
The way it is in the "Play Now" screen is just fine, why did you have to change it?
Please don't change the "Play Now" to be the same.
It would also be great if you allow in the Alpha games to see all Alpha games and not just the ones that players have signed up to review. This is a great starting point to see the games that are available.
The filter is also huge, and takes so much space.
And while we're at it, maybe add to the filters "Beta, Alpha, Premium, etc..." option. That way, we won't need to scroll down a while to find those games

Do you have beta testers? Can I be a part of it?
ColHogan

Post by ColHogan »

ColHogan wrote: 08 April 2022, 17:47 Thanks for the effort, unfortunately basic design principles were missed.
We browse things, and rarely read. in fact we browse in an F pattern, so many items on the page are missed. We also expect a known sort-order, usually alpha-sort.
  • I believe if you flipped this on it's side and made the lists alpha-sort, you'd immediately have an improved UI. let the user pick or change which columns, with a default of Play Again, New, and Popular. perhaps a 4th column where I can select from a drop down of other popular filters.
  • You could take it a step further and make the boxes smaller and move the game title off of the graphic. That would also give you an immediate improvement on readability -- easy to scan down a column.
  • I think the hover info is a nice value-add, but sometimes it gets in the way. Maybe with the smaller graphics, that would be enough to just keep the hover over it. And of course, if I'm on mobile device, hover isn't even an option.
Some usability testing would be highly recommended overall, but particularly with the hover feature.
One more thing, how many of your users are using this on mobile devices? There are clearly some design in here for mobile users. That being said, if you do have a large number of users on mobile, the column idea can work well -- stacked, but with the ability to close. It also begs so much for alpha-sort. When I have to look through 20 items in random order, trying to make a choice, it's a big chore. Alpha-sort is very predictable and easy to remember when I want to go back.

Return to “BGA release notes”